Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

3 hours ago, chrissz2613 said:

Is there by any chance a comprehensive resource that lists the frequencies/headways for all of the CTA bus routes?

Or is doing the math yourself while looking at a route’s respective timetable the only way to figure this information out?

Timetables a good place to start but also looking at run numbers. 

On 8/18/2022 at 9:57 AM, chrissz2613 said:

Is there by any chance a comprehensive resource that lists the frequencies/headways for all of the CTA bus routes?

Or is doing the math yourself while looking at a route’s respective timetable the only way to figure this information out?

I made this a while back: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NsP8VL86e84endJEahhyHEubXN3Ehz8-9JvHHW8BaoA/edit?usp=sharing

This lists every CTA route (outside of special services) and l train at what their midday frequency is. It has not been adjusted for the last pick (and tbh, I doubt I'll edit it again, it's tedious going thru each schedule). It's not exact, but you can extrapolate from what's there (e.g. if a route is every 15 mins during the midday, it's most likely more frequent at peak). You can also sort/filter, so if you wanted to know which routes run every 10 mins or better every day of the week, you could sort by sunday and find that your answer will be the 9, 22, 36, 63, 66, 79, 146, 151, Blue, Brown & Red Lines.

This doesn't take into account various service patterns (for instance, the 79 drops out past Western and the 151 north of Belmont), but otherwise should make a good starting resource

• Upvote 1

On 8/17/2022 at 4:08 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

image.thumb.png.6607e83cda953777e5c7b000506392b2.png

Saw this on Twitter, could only laugh ??

I’ve only seen this on some of the blue line trains. Well when I rode the blue line four times earlier this summer, Lori Lightfoot mentioned that CTA service was back at full capacity and a blue line rider lashed out at her for it. From what I’ve heard the blue line is the most disrupted service. 

14 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I made this a while back: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NsP8VL86e84endJEahhyHEubXN3Ehz8-9JvHHW8BaoA/edit?usp=sharing

This lists every CTA route (outside of special services) and l train at what their midday frequency is. It has not been adjusted for the last pick (and tbh, I doubt I'll edit it again, it's tedious going thru each schedule). It's not exact, but you can extrapolate from what's there (e.g. if a route is every 15 mins during the midday, it's most likely more frequent at peak). You can also sort/filter, so if you wanted to know which routes run every 10 mins or better every day of the week, you could sort by sunday and find that your answer will be the 9, 22, 36, 63, 66, 79, 146, 151, Blue, Brown & Red Lines.

This doesn't take into account various service patterns (for instance, the 79 drops out past Western and the 151 north of Belmont), but otherwise should make a good starting resource

22 Clark running every 10 minutes?  You're being funny aren't you?  I often have 20-30 minute waits for it & then four come at once!

2 hours ago, strictures said:

22 Clark running every 10 minutes?  You're being funny aren't you?  I often have 20-30 minute waits for it & then four come at once!

Haha!  The 10 minutes are the scheduled headways.   When I'm downtown it seems like the 22 runs very frequently.   I have to admit the one time I chose to take the 22 from Fullerton rather than the Red Line,  it took nearly 30 minutes to get a bus,  prepandemic.   I can understand buses falling behind schedule when traffic gets congested,  especially near Wrigley Field.   Clark is already narrow and is congested.  Add to that the construction around the Red Line near Clark Junction and its a wrap.

19 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Haha!  The 10 minutes are the scheduled headways.   When I'm downtown it seems like the 22 runs very frequently.   I have to admit the one time I chose to take the 22 from Fullerton rather than the Red Line,  it took nearly 30 minutes to get a bus,  prepandemic.   I can understand buses falling behind schedule when traffic gets congested,  especially near Wrigley Field.   Clark is already narrow and is congested.  Add to that the construction around the Red Line near Clark Junction and its a wrap.

Even downtown, I've waited 20+ minutes for a NB Clark.  And Wednesdays & Saturdays can be worse, when they open the bridges to let the sailboats through!

Several weeks ago, for some insane reason, they detoured the NB 22 I was on down Halsted to Irving Park, to avoid Wrigley, even though most days they don't.  But they were letting cars through that day. 

Buses should never be detoured around Wrigley for any reason other than a riot outside or if the impossible happens & the Cubs win the pennant or World Series, which undoubtedly will take another 108 years, just like the last time!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, strictures said:

Even downtown, I've waited 20+ minutes for a NB Clark.  And Wednesdays & Saturdays can be worse, when they open the bridges to let the sailboats through!

Several weeks ago, for some insane reason, they detoured the NB 22 I was on down Halsted to Irving Park, to avoid Wrigley, even though most days they don't.  But they were letting cars through that day. 

Buses should never be detoured around Wrigley for any reason other than a riot outside or if the impossible happens & the Cubs win the pennant or World Series, which undoubtedly will take another 108 years, just like the last time!

They reroute buses due to heavy congestion centered around Wrigley during game days and other events, those 10 minutes headways get thrown out the door when traffic on Clark gets out of control.

48 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

They reroute buses due to heavy congestion centered around Wrigley during game days and other events, those 10 minutes headways get thrown out the door when traffic on Clark gets out of control.

There used to be a time when they would turn Clark into a one way SB at the end if games  to expedite the flow of traffic.  Clark would essentially be one way between Irving Park and Belmont.   This way chatter buses staged on Irving Park could get to the ball park and pick up their groups in Waveland    i support the one way practice isn't done anymore.

• Upvote 1

On 8/20/2022 at 1:33 AM, strictures said:

About 4PM today, Aug 21, I was at Catalpa/Clark & Ventra showed a 28 minute wait for a NB Clark.

Except, slightly earlier than that, a bus with a destination sign that just had "Shuttle" on it came & apparently they were running a few extra buses fro Foster/Clark to Howard & back.

What I didn't understand was why not just use regular 22 Clark destination signs of Clark/Howard & Clark/Foster.  Many people were totally confused by the signs!

3 got some of the 8350's now sitting in the back & they also have a rent a cop sitting out side of the garage tf since when they hired went a cops ??? & she rode up behind me as I'm riding through & 3 also kicked their Noah's out of the garage guess they plan on sending them to the boneyard soon

14 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

3 got some of the 8350's now sitting in the back & they also have a rent a cop sitting out side of the garage tf since when they hired went a cops ??? & she rode up behind me as I'm riding through & 3 also kicked their Noah's out of the garage guess they plan on sending them to the boneyard soon

I'm shocked but then again not surprised perhaps the 50/50 of #8350s split is still relevant. 

10 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Possibly since they kicked them out the garage that’s a a sign those will soon head to the boneyard 

On 8/20/2022 at 2:33 AM, strictures said:

As people have replied, it is scheduled headways, pulled directly from what CTA has made available on the site. I don’t disagree with your assertion of frequency, but ofc I have no way to mark that with any sort of accuracy ?

I feel the same way about the 79, which is supposed to be one of, if not the most, frequent buses in the city (during peak and along the main trunk at least) ?

20 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

As people have replied, it is scheduled headways, pulled directly from what CTA has made available on the site. I don’t disagree with your assertion of frequency, but ofc I have no way to mark that with any sort of accuracy ?

I feel the same way about the 79, which is supposed to be one of, if not the most, frequent buses in the city (during peak and along the main trunk at least) ?

We know that Ford City bound 79s can get hung up at Central Park with that very busy rail crossing which leads into a yard 1/2 to the north.  That set of tracks also has another set of tracks intersecting them 1/2 mile to the south ( at 83rd).  Freight train traffic can be very unfriendly and disruptive to the 79..

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

We know that Ford City bound 79s can get hung up at Central Park with that very busy rail crossing which leads into a yard 1/2 to the north.  That set of tracks also has another set of tracks intersecting them 1/2 mile to the south ( at 83rd).  Freight train traffic can be very unfriendly and disruptive to the 79..

Would it make sense to split the 79 at Western? I was thinking the 79 could run east of Western, and a new 79W (operated by 74th) would run between Ford City and 74th/Damen with some trips interlined with the 75. This would make sense if there aren't a lot of riders going across the two segments, but if there are, then it wouldn't make sense.

2 hours ago, Anthony Devera said:

Would it make sense to split the 79 at Western? I was thinking the 79 could run east of Western, and a new 79W (operated by 74th) would run between Ford City and 74th/Damen with some trips interlined with the 75. This would make sense if there aren't a lot of riders going across the two segments, but if there are, then it wouldn't make sense.

No because there's a high number of riders that ride beyond Western.   The Ford City buses still are scheduled at a 6 minute frequency during rush periods.  That tells you how busy the route is end to end, but the Western short turns tell you that the heavier ridership is still east of Western.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

Many were cut in 1997, and a lot in the years before as well.

IRM CTA website has a lot of old maps that have service summaries. 

http://irm-cta.org/RouteMaps.html

Thanks for the response.

Do you by any chance know if older versions of CTA's Night Owl map exist on the internet? How long have they been publishing this particular map?

https://www.transitchicago.com/assets/1/6/ctamap_OwlService.pdf