Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

1 hour ago, Shannoncvpi said:

The driver of 7916 a butthole  wanna take up too lanes at 71 & Cottage 

I remember when CTA drivers always took up two lanes when entering viaduct.  The reasons were to make sure the driver didn't scrape the bus on the viaduct walls, didn't hit the mirrors on the pillars, and/or hit a car or truck trying to squeeze through the viaduct with them.  I don't know if that's taught today.    

I know a lit of west side viaduct are open, meaning there's no concrete barrier and no pillars dividing EB and WB or NB and SB traffic.  While there are some open viaducts on the south side,  a lot of them aren't.   I observed what the CTA drivers did and I would do the same thing.    Since I am ultimately responsible for my bus, I have to do whatever is necessary to avoid getting into an accident.   While I can trust my skills and keep my bus in a narrow lane, I don't trust the skills of another person that they can do the same with their vehicle in relation to mine.    Therefore by taking up both lanes, I eliminate the possibility of a sideswioe. 

Another practice CTA drivers use to do on a regular was the button hook right turn.  This w maneuver had the bus driver swing out left from the curb before making a right turn.  This is something I rarely see today so I assume it isn't taught anymore ir is used in extreme situations.  When I learned how to drive a bus, I was not trained to do a button hook.  In fact, we were told not to do it.   But one guy I knew who was initially trained by CTA did it anyway, and a bicycle squeezed through on his right, and he hit him when making his turn.

31 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I remember when CTA drivers always took up two lanes when entering viaduct.  The reasons were to make sure the driver didn't scrape the bus on the viaduct walls, didn't hit the mirrors on the pillars, and/or hit a car or truck trying to squeeze through the viaduct with them.  I don't know if that's taught today.    

I know a lit of west side viaduct are open, meaning there's no concrete barrier and no pillars dividing EB and WB or NB and SB traffic.  While there are some open viaducts on the south side,  a lot of them aren't.   I observed what the CTA drivers did and I would do the same thing.    Since I am ultimately responsible for my bus, I have to do whatever is necessary to avoid getting into an accident.   While I can trust my skills and keep my bus in a narrow lane, I don't trust the skills of another person that they can do the same with their vehicle in relation to mine.    Therefore by taking up both lanes, I eliminate the possibility of a sideswioe. 

Another practice CTA drivers use to do on a regular was the button hook right turn.  This w maneuver had the bus driver swing out left from the curb before making a right turn.  This is something I rarely see today so I assume it isn't taught anymore ir is used in extreme situations.  When I learned how to drive a bus, I was not trained to do a button hook.  In fact, we were told not to do it.   But one guy I knew who was initially trained by CTA did it anyway, and a bicycle squeezed through on his right, and he hit him when making his turn.

I don't even take up two lanes even with viaduct like these even when I was coming back from SS

5 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

The driver of 7916 a butthole  wanna take up too lanes at 71 & Cottage 

It would be hilarious if that was @YoungBusLover driving that bus.

Whoever is driving it,  he's responsible for his bus. If that keeps him out of danger of having an accident, that's cool.  You are responsible for your bus.  If you feel that your skill level and vision allow you to share a viaduct with other vehicles, that's fine.  I can't expect others to do what I do, and I'm not going to take risks to appease someone else.   Now if that driver was past the viaduct and taking up two lanes, that might be an issue depending on the condition of the street and what's going on at that time    

• Like 1

Hello!

Does anyone have any photos of the 16 Lake Bus, 110 Marquette, or Elston/Clybourn bus routes?

I am especially interested in why the 110 was discontinued in the late 90s, Marquette seems like a great street for a bus route. I figured it would have some good ridership near the park. I would love some pictures of the bus or its sign. 

Thanks

1 hour ago, 18thalek said:

Hello!

Does anyone have any photos of the 16 Lake Bus, 110 Marquette, or Elston/Clybourn bus routes?

I am especially interested in why the 110 was discontinued in the late 90s, Marquette seems like a great street for a bus route. I figured it would have some good ridership near the park. I would love some pictures of the bus or its sign. 

Thanks

I don't have any pictures 

I grew up near the 63rd and Ashland terminal.   In my early year.the terminal was served by the 110 Marquette which stopped on the outer bay and thev49A S Western,  which stopped in the inner bay with WB 63rd St buses.  During the early 70s, those two routes brought riders from West Englewood and Marquette Park to the station.  Most of the riders were White, but Englewood had transformed from a predominately White neighborhood in the 60s to an all Black neighborhood by 1970, including West Englewood.   Ridership plummeted and the 49A was cut back to 79th around 1973   

Also consider that more people opted to ride either the 63 or 67 *operating on 69th) to the Dan Ryan Line rather than rude the Englewood Howard. The Englewood Howard operated loud, non air conditioner 6000 series cars while the Dan Ryan Line operated newer,  Air conditioned 2000 series and 2200 series cars. Add to that the skip stop service and the Dan Ryan Line could get you from 69th to Adams and Wabash in 4 stops.   By contrast, it took 11 stops from 63rd and Ashland to Roosevelt and 13 to Jackson    

I forget the year, but around 1981, the 110 was cut to rush hour service only.   It lasted longer than I thought it would. 

When the Orange Line opened,  it gave Marquette Park area riders a quicker,  and less dangerous option to downtown.  Riders could use Western, California, Kedzie,  or Pulaski buses to connect with the Orange Line for a fast ride ro downtown.   This made the 110 even more obsolete and unnecessary. Even the Damen bus connect to the 35th/Archer Orange Line. 

11 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I've seen button hook turns done by CTA drivers all the time, I didn't know that's what they were called. I especially see them on artics, especially 26 from 67th onto LSD, J14/6/26 from Balbo onto Columbus and others. Hell, I've actually never not seen the 147 button hook from State onto Washington

15 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

I don't even take up two lanes even with viaduct like these even when I was coming back from SS

We do that all the time and were trained to do so. These viaducts aren't wide enough to fit a car and bus side by side, even tractor trailers take up both lanes along with CFD trucks at times.  The viaduct at 87th and Holland is a prime example of this. Try fitting a bus and cars there I guarantee someone is getting stuck. The cushion of safety aka the bubble around the bus gives us operators the right to make as much space as possible to ensure our safety while traveling alongside other motorists. Now maybe it's different on the westside but down south we operate differently. 

14 hours ago, NovaHater said:

Bro that’s sop

You're 100% correct.

20 hours ago, artthouwill said:

It would be hilarious if that was @YoungBusLover driving that bus.

Whoever is driving it,  he's responsible for his bus. If that keeps him out of danger of having an accident, that's cool.  You are responsible for your bus.  If you feel that your skill level and vision allow you to share a viaduct with other vehicles, that's fine.  I can't expect others to do what I do, and I'm not going to take risks to appease someone else.   Now if that driver was past the viaduct and taking up two lanes, that might be an issue depending on the condition of the street and what's going on at that time    

I just never did this now what I do do is when I'm making a right ill swing out to the middle lane like somebody said 

Let's just say that a driver not naming no names or route just took the front bumper off a empty CPD sqaud for being parked in the bus stop zone in as they always do trying to get over to get a elderly person who needed the bus let down I just seen this this & told that driver it's in between us lmfao that's what they get ? ? 

While waiting for a route #26 South Shore Express bus on N. Michigan Ave. ten days ago, look at bus #1587 on Route #X4 rolling up to the stop. What is that sticker in the windshield? ?

04x_cottage_grove-002(1587).jpg

Edited by pudgym29
insert photo.

23 minutes ago, pudgym29 said:

While waiting for a route #26 South Shore Express bus on N. Michigan Ave. ten days ago, look at bus #1587 on Route #X4 rolling up to the stop. What is that sticker in the windshield? ?

04x_cottage_grove-002(1587).jpg

Just got moved and the sticker wasn't yet changed.

On 10/11/2022 at 9:20 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

I've seen button hook turns done by CTA drivers all the time, I didn't know that's what they were called. I especially see them on artics, especially 26 from 67th onto LSD, J14/6/26 from Balbo onto Columbus and others. Hell, I've actually never not seen the 147 button hook from State onto Washington

If you're o;d enough, you would remember the dashed line painted on the streets where the buses turned that gave them a button hook turn to follow.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, strictures said:

If you're o;d enough, you would remember the dashed line painted on the streets where the buses turned that gave them a button hook turn to follow.

I and a work crew installed additional steering column guide lines suggested from non CTA people that the right rear wheels were damaging the curbs. We used a driver and a 5000 series flexible to set the turning pattern as we installed the strips. My department at the mart was responsible for that.