Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Even Inside Edition had the story about the person who jumped onto the tracks to save someone who fell on the third rail after being pushed off the platform in a fight. ABC7 story here.

From the way it looked, I'm surprised no one fried.

Thanks to the young man who certainly took a jolt of electricity pulling the man from the third rail.   Otherwise you would have your fried meal.  I think that man is still hospitalized in serious condition. 

13 hours ago, Bus1883 said:

Stupid teen set a explosion on a train. These parents have no control of these retards. I wonder if the train car involved could be placed back in service soon after it sits OOS for a while awaiting repairs to the ceiling.

B3543599-DB48-4400-A3A7-791E112C3D48.png

I pray that we don't see any copycats.

• Upvote 3

On 6/8/2022 at 3:22 PM, Busjack said:

Even Inside Edition had the story about the person who jumped onto the tracks to save someone who fell on the third rail after being pushed off the platform in a fight. ABC7 story here.

From the way it looked, I'm surprised no one fried.

Yeah I've seen what the 3rd rail can do. There wouldn't be nothing resembling a man just a heavily burnt something. There was a time in the video when the rescued man does touch the 3rd rail but nothing happened. Don't get that unless it was already powered down. Any cta call of a rider on the tracks could get that done. 

15 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yeah I've seen what the 3rd rail can do. There wouldn't be nothing resembling a man just a heavily burnt something. There was a time in the video when the rescued man does touch the 3rd rail but nothing happened. Don't get that unless it was already powered down. Any cta call of a rider on the tracks could get that done. 

If I remember correctly,  a person can be on the third rail and not be electrocuted so long as he isn't making contact with anything else.  Once he's touching anything, the ground, another person. That's when the jolts happen.  You've seen birds land on the third rail and nothing happened.   But its best not to come in contact with the third rail as 99.9999% of people touching it will also be touching the ground.  Only in Roadrunner or Bugs Bunny cartoons would those two and only those two not get electrocuted.  Daffy Duck and Wolf E Coyote will get jolted. But they will recover.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

My favorite 3rd rail story was printed in the papers years ago, when some drunk was on the State St platform in the Loop & pissed on the 3rd rail & got a real jolt & was sent flying on the platform.

2 hours ago, strictures said:

My favorite 3rd rail story was printed in the papers years ago, when some drunk was on the State St platform in the Loop & pissed on the 3rd rail & got a real jolt & was sent flying on the platform.

There was the famous case of Lee v. CTA, involving essentially that at Kedzie and the Brown Line, which CTA lost.

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

If I remember correctly,  a person can be on the third rail and not be electrocuted so long as he isn't making contact with anything else.  Once he's touching anything, the ground, another person. That's when the jolts happen.  You've seen birds land on the third rail and nothing happened.   But its best not to come in contact with the third rail as 99.9999% of people touching it will also be touching the ground.  Only in Roadrunner or Bugs Bunny cartoons would those two and only those two not get electrocuted.  Daffy Duck and Wolf E Coyote will get jolted. But they will recover.

I've seen when trees come into contact with the 3rd rail and man there are sparks everywhere. The guy was holding on the victim when he touched the rail so wouldn't that count. You have to ask yourself who would get down by the 3rd rail if they knew it was powered. Cell phones only get part of the story, it requires us to fill in the blanks. If we fill them in incorrectly then the story changes. 

Since you bring up Wile E Coyote. I got a funny story. I work out by the Vulcan quarry (there's a cool story on YouTube about a closed section of route 66) if you don't know where that is (McCook) Anyway I've seen on several occasions Coyotes coming out of the quarry. So you might laugh at the cartoon but there is some truth to the story of Wile E Coyote living in a canyon or quarry. It's a quiet place no one really goes and the police will chase you out if you go there so it makes a nice home for the coyotes. Now if I see one with an Acme detonator, I'll be sure to pass the word. 

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I've seen when trees come into contact with the 3rd rail and man there are sparks everywhere. The guy was holding on the victim when he touched the rail so wouldn't that count. You have to ask yourself who would get down by the 3rd rail if they knew it was powered. Cell phones only get part of the story, it requires us to fill in the blanks. If we fill them in incorrectly then the story changes. 

Since you bring up Wile E Coyote. I got a funny story. I work out by the Vulcan quarry (there's a cool story on YouTube about a closed section of route 66) if you don't know where that is (McCook) Anyway I've seen on several occasions Coyotes coming out of the quarry. So you might laugh at the cartoon but there is some truth to the story of Wile E Coyote living in a canyon or quarry. It's a quiet place no one really goes and the police will chase you out if you go there so it makes a nice home for the coyotes. Now if I see one with an Acme detonator, I'll be sure to pass the word. 

Yeah the tree will spark because part of it is touching something else in addition to the third rail thus becoming a conduit.  

When the youth man touched the victim who was on the third rail, he got shocked because he was also touching the ground. I'm glad he was able to pull the victim off the third rail which stopped the flow of electricity between them.  I think most people know not to touch that rail, but a fight that falls on the tracks isn't intentional.   However pushing someone on the tracks is intentional, and if pushed with enough force, the victim has no control over where they land.

9 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

but a dam pick up truck started following me & I dudnt have my badge on me didnt want no smoke

...which brings up something that was discussed before. A driver had posted and quickly deleted a picture of a burned Pace bus. The explanation given by others was that employees were not supposed to take pictures on transit authority property.

It doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other, but I don't want anyone risking his or her job over this forum. Also, while I don't know who you are, I assume your supervisor does.

4 hours ago, Busjack said:

...which brings up something that was discussed before. A driver had posted and quickly deleted a picture of a burned Pace bus. The explanation given by others was that employees were not supposed to take pictures on transit authority property.

It doesn't make any difference to me one way or the other, but I don't want anyone risking his or her job over this forum. Also, while I don't know who you are, I assume your supervisor does.

But I don't work at 7 I work at K 

4 hours ago, Shannoncvpi said:

But I don't work at 7 I work at K 

I remember when all CTA property was posted "PRIVATE PROPERTY--NO TRESPASSING." Again, I don't know how that applies to employees who drive through garages at which they don't work.

This happened last night during the green line shuttle, #7945 and #7986 both got there windows shattered by youth throwing debris at the buses as they passed by around 1 am around 60th and King Drive. As soon as I left the garage after my run I saw #7945 with a supervisor following behind enter the vault I couldn't believe two buses got hit back to back like that. Good thing I didn't pick king drive for the summer. ????

20220612_012755.jpg

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

This happened last night during the green line shuttle, #7945 and #7986 both got there windows shattered by youth throwing debris at the buses as they passed by around 1 am around 60th and King Drive. As soon as I left the garage after my run I saw #7945 with a supervisor following behind enter the vault I couldn't believe two buses got hit back to back like that. Good thing I didn't pick king drive for the summer. ????

20220612_012755.jpg

Sad.   Youth think that's fun and funny.  Glad no one was hurt.

It wouldn't bother me if FG and NP had all the 7900s.   Seems like new equipment on the south side is a risky proposition.  If the 7000 duties cars never see the south side will be fine with me and may last longer.