Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

On 4/2/2022 at 9:57 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

Very few times I a help C with the 65 last time ive known was during air & water show & a few other things but we mostly help with the 66 am & pm rush just like C help with the 12 am & pm rush

From what I remember as well as what I observe here and there, you guys get help from C in the 12 only in the AM rush. PM rush is all you guys just like in non-peak and weekend hours. 

On 4/3/2022 at 1:23 PM, artthouwill said:

What's odd to me is that C has to help out K on the 12. But K has to help out C on the 66.  It would seem like each could take care of its own routes rather than  sending buses to help out another garage when that gara8needs help from the garage its helping.   C is definitely closer to Chicago Ave than K and K is closer to Roosevelt than C.

It may seem odd and counterintuitive, but CTA is actually killing two birds with one stone in both cases. Both C and K each has a route that needs extra help in AM rush because of scheduled headways and ridership patterns. What better way to solve it than create an interline that directed towards the 12's needs to serve its heavy ridership in the peak direction along the full route, its heavy loads between the South Loop and UIC in the off-peak direction, and beefing up the 66 in the peak direction east of Kedzie and have operators from both garages drive it? If both garages only stuck to their own routes for their respective beefed up services, then the total number of operators from both garages needed to do that would actually be higher than what they're using now in sharing the extra service. They actually get more bang for their buck on both routes by doing this way even though it seems odd on the surface.

3 hours ago, jajuan said:

From what I remember as well as what I observe here and there, you guys get help from C in the 12 only in the AM rush. PM rush is all you guys just like in non-peak and weekend hours. 

It may seem odd and counterintuitive, but CTA is actually killing two birds with one stone in both cases. Both C and K each has a route that needs extra help in AM rush because of scheduled headways and ridership patterns. What better way to solve it than create an interline that directed towards the 12's needs to serve its heavy ridership in the peak direction along the full route, its heavy loads between the South Loop and UIC in the off-peak direction, and beefing up the 66 in the peak direction east of Kedzie and have operators from both garages drive it? If both garages only stuck to their own routes for their respective beefed up services, then the total number of operators from both garages needed to do that would actually be higher than what they're using now in sharing the extra service. They actually get more bang for their buck on both routes by doing this way even though it seems odd on the surface.

Yea we both help each other out

On 4/15/2022 at 6:26 PM, jajuan said:

The only thing that's bad is those left before the extra buses have to wait longer and have more crush loads. I saw #604 out again yesterday early. Wasn't much service around. I observed about a good 15 to 20 riders waiting at Hamlin and I had passed the bus at Kilbourn so it still had a ways to go to get there. The other buses in that area appeared to be 40 footers going west. #66 does better when it has the artics. I don't know if the big crowds had to do with #604 cause it has that slow interlock. Seemed to me just to be a lack of service. 

28 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

The only thing that's bad is those left before the extra buses have to wait longer and have more crush loads. I saw #604 out again yesterday early. Wasn't much service around. I observed about a good 15 to 20 riders waiting at Hamlin and I had passed the bus at Kilbourn so it still had a ways to go to get there. The other buses in that area appeared to be 40 footers going west. #66 does better when it has the artics. I don't know if the big crowds had to do with #604 cause it has that slow interlock. Seemed to me just to be a lack of service. 

I said the same both the 12 & 66 need extra help during the rush periods but cta dont eant to put extra help on them they rather send all of the buses downtown 

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

#66 does better when it has the artics.

I wonder what CTA is thinking (if anything). When the extra artics became available, they were put on 66 and 79. Then they were taken off both routes, supposedly because of excessive dwell time at short length bus stops. The impression given was that 66 was going all electric. Then I suppose that social distancing required bringing back artics.

32 minutes ago, ChicagoNova said:

7966 & 8060? Those are newer buses & they're breaking down.

Well they're two years shy of being 10 years old. Anything past 8200-8350 is fairly new but the 7900s and 8000s are 8 years old with a lot wear and tear put on them. Most of them have at least 200k-250k miles on them now give or take a few.

10 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well they're two years shy of being 10 years old. Anything past 8200-8350 is fairly new but the 7900s and 8000s are 8 years old with a lot wear and tear put on them. Most of them have at least 200k-250k miles on them now give or take a few.

That isn't supposed to be that much, considering that they are 12 year 500k service life buses. Sounds like there are maintenance problems. That's still assuming that buses out of 77th have always gotten a workout.