Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

2 hours ago, cplanner13 said:

Oh wow, really? Prior to that, they didn't keep tabs on the locations of their bus stop signs?

The signs had a number on them, but it was for a print run. i.e. a #1 Drexel-Hyde Park had one TP-number, a combo 1/2/2X/5 sign had another, etc.

Things were also relatively sloppy in those days, with a sign on the near side stop including a route that turned right onto the street (like State into Adams),

I don't know what internal controls CTA had, but there was no reason (before text) for a passenger to know a bus stop number. Also, before GPS, CTA barely knew where its buses were, relying on radios that signaled to light poles and on street supervisors.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, citychris05 said:

How accurate is this track map?

https://www.gleisplanweb.eu/Maps/Chicago.svg

I don't know about the crossovers, but the maps are not to scale. O'Hare should be even with Bryn Mawr, and stations on the same street on parallel lines (like 35th Red and Green) are not on the same level.

33 minutes ago, Jackson232 said:

I have a question. Sometimes I see cta blue line trains and the sign says uic. Does the train actually end at uic?

Yes.  Those trips end at UIC Halsted.  After dropping off passengers, those trains proceed to the Morgan middle track  then reenter UIC Halsted for a return trip to O'Hare.  The ridership between downtown and O'Hare is significantly larger than ridership between downtown and Forest Park,  so zcTA "short turns" some rush hour trains to maintain a higher frequency on the busiest part of the route.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Yes.  Those trips end at UIC Halsted.  After dropping off passengers, those trains proceed to the Morgan middle track  then reenter UIC Halsted for a return trip to O'Hare.  The ridership between downtown and O'Hare is significantly larger than ridership between downtown and Forest Park,  so zcTA "short turns" some rush hour trains to maintain a higher frequency on the busiest part of the route.

Thank you

14 hours ago, krzysiu221322 said:

I had a question regarding the Forest Park (Congress) branch of the Blue Line. 

Is there a reason for the extra space that’s found along both tracks in the highway median? What’s the history behind that? Did the CTA ever have plans to add a third track within those spaces?

The extra space was designed for tracks for Chicago Aurora & Elgin trains that did not stop at local stations. Unfortunately that CA&ER closed down on 3rd July 1957 before the tracks in the center of the expressway opened (22nd Jun 1958) and only the two tracks for the Forest Park cta line were laid.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

The extra space was designed for tracks for Chicago Aurora & Elgin trains that did not stop at local stations. Unfortunately that CA&ER closed down on 3rd July 1957 before the tracks in the center of the expressway opened (22nd Jun 1958) and only the two tracks for the Forest Park cta line were laid.

Could this explain the third portal entering the subway just east of Halsted?

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Could this explain the third portal entering the subway just east of Halsted?

Yes. It is not very clear where the CA&ER trains were going to terminate. Half of the cars were wooden and would not be allowed in the subway.

Proposals for the terminal include extending CA&ER trains all the way to Logan Square as there was no where else to turn trains without interrupting the cta service. Other proposals included building a subway under Clinton St, from Congress St to Lake St providing a terminal loop via Clinton, Lake, Dearborn, Congress. In June 1957 CA&ER proposed resuming loop service using the Van Buren street trackage until the expressway line was completed. They proposed taking over all Garfield Park service although no downtown terminal was suggested. One was later proposed by the City with a subway under Clinton and Jackson ending at Michigan Ave using the streetcar tunnel under the river - but it was all too late and passenger service ended at 12:13pm on 3rd July 19757.

Along the expressway itself it was planned to have four tracks in a wide median from Halsted to Sacramento. From Sacramento to Laramie the median was narrower but would allow two extra tracks if necessary. Plans were developed for a third express track between Laramie and Des Plaines Ave. A third subway tunnel was built under the eastbound expressway lane just west of Laramie to accommodate this track.

New tracks for the CA&ER trains were also built west of Des Plaines Ave along the north edge of the expressway, through the Concordia and Waldheim Cemeteries as the original route was under the expressway, The bridge over the Des Plaines River was moved north to the new alignment. This wa built after the passenger closure and were never used for passenger, although east of the Des Plaines River they were used for additional storage of cta cars.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

At first I was like why is the 2 driving through the car but then I remembered that's where the route starts at

Actually the 2 starts at  60th and Cotrage Grove    Since the bus is coming from 7, it uses Garfield and runs through Washington Park to get to  60th and Cottage.

8 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Actually the 2 starts at  60th and Cotrage Grove    Since the bus is coming from 7, it uses Garfield and runs through Washington Park to get to  60th and Cottage.

Yea I k ow it starts in the park on 60th but I had forgotten bout it cause I don't see the 2 on a reg I'll see a 2 bus like every few weeks

On 12/30/2022 at 7:53 PM, artthouwill said:

On 12/30/2022 at 7:12 PM, Jackson232 said:

I have a question. Sometimes I see cta blue line trains and the sign says uic. Does the train actually end at uic?

To add on Art noting that the O'Hare branch has a higher ridership than the Forest Park branch, the short turns are also CTA's way of keeping the trains even in that regard after shutting down Blue Line service along the 54th/Cermak branch in 2006 with their creating the Pink Line and moving the 54th Ave service to that line. Before the Pink Line existed, Blue Line trains on the West Side portion alternated services between the Forest Park branch and the 54th/Cermak branch.