Random CTA

NewFlyerMCI

24 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

This the first time I seen this but I didn't start my cam fast enough but 7925 doing the 79 making stop but it had 87 on the sign then switched to the 79 after pulling off from the stop sign 

Sounds like something the gps would do, but I don't know why. Is there some sort of interline?

On 3/2/2023 at 3:54 PM, Shannoncvpi said:

Is the 28 on a fresh reroute right before Chinatown

Nope, the 1,120/121 out of 77th pull out via I-94 to 31st and Lasalle, take that down to 26th and head WB over to Canal and take Canal the rest of the way up over to about Polk and head WB to Jefferson then NB up to Jackson before going into Union Station . The 28s follow the same pull out route as well.

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Nope, the 1,120/121 out of 77th pull out via I-94 to 31st and Lasalle, take that down to 26th and head WB over to Canal and take Canal the rest of the way up over to about Polk and head WB to Jefferson then NB up to Jackson before going into Union Station . The 28s follow the same pull out route as well.

Not sure what time of day the video was recorded but it seems odd if not unnecessary for any 28s to deadhead from the garage to downtown.  I would guess maybe some runs might begin downtown to fill in enough runs until some northbound buses reach Union Station  to do return trips

Once NB trips start heading downtown there won't be any trips to start SB from 47th and Lake Park unless buses either come from downtown or buses deadhead to 47th and Lake Park to start SB

This seems especially true in the P.M. rush, though also possible in the morning as well.

1 hour ago, ChicagoRail said:

I wonder if CTA will ever return the train lengths (how many cars per trip) to pre-pandemic levels.

Most lines already are.

Red Line and Blue Line trains have been 8 car consists all day.

Prange and Brown Line trains ran 8 cars during peak periods and 4 cars off peak.  With reduced frequency. It makes sense to keep them at 8 cars.  Also factor in staffing shortages  to couple and uncompleted cars.

PINK Line trains have always been 4 car consists.

Yellow Line trains have always been 2 car consists.

Green Line trains were 6 cars peak and 4 cars off peak. But usually ran 6 cars all day as they currently do now.

Purple line shuttle used to run 4 cars while the Purple Line Express ran 6 cars.  I don't know what the shuttle runs now

I don't expect any changes to the way CTA runs consists anytime soon. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Most lines already are.

Red Line and Blue Line trains have been 8 car consists all day.

Prange and Brown Line trains ran 8 cars during peak periods and 4 cars off peak.  With reduced frequency. It makes sense to keep them at 8 cars.  Also factor in staffing shortages  to couple and uncompleted cars.

PINK Line trains have always been 4 car consists.

Yellow Line trains have always been 2 car consists.

Green Line trains were 6 cars peak and 4 cars off peak. But usually ran 6 cars all day as they currently do now.

Purple line shuttle used to run 4 cars while the Purple Line Express ran 6 cars.  I don't know what the shuttle runs now

I don't expect any changes to the way CTA runs consists anytime soon. 

Pink line back in the day (i’m talking way before COVID hit) ran 6 cars during rush hour 

Purple Line uses 6 cars daily currently on Local and Express

5 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

Pink line back in the day (i’m talking way before COVID hit) ran 6 cars during rush hour 

The 6 car Pink Line operation was probably temporary because of the issues that the 5000 series cars had with 4 car trains crossing the Wells and Lake junction.  If a train had to stop in the middle of the junction where the lead car wasn't touching it third rail, 4 car trains would stall and needed a stinger to get power whereas the 6 car trains didn't have that issue.   Even the Green Line ran 6 car trains all day until  the issue was resolved.   I was stuck on one of those 5000 series trains that stalled in the middle of that junction trying to get to work.   

Once that issue was resolved,  Pink Line was Green Line trains resumed their normal 4 car operations. 

21 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Not sure what time of day the video was recorded but it seems odd if not unnecessary for any 28s to deadhead from the garage to downtown.  I would guess maybe some runs might begin downtown to fill in enough runs until some northbound buses reach Union Station  to do return trips

Once NB trips start heading downtown there won't be any trips to start SB from 47th and Lake Park unless buses either come from downtown or buses deadhead to 47th and Lake Park to start SB

This seems especially true in the P.M. rush, though also possible in the morning as well.

Looking at the schedule, some trips have to start downtown.

The first p.m. bus leaves at 3:51. There are 79th and 50th buses after it (obviously school trips):

image.png.f9cf174e8b0f615864789a9c428e6eb8.png

However, the first northbound bus arrives at Union Station at 4:48.

On 3/4/2023 at 2:01 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Aw on didn't know that glad to learn dome of you all routes 

On 3/5/2023 at 1:31 AM, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

Which I'm grateful for, as I ride it from Linden to Howard & then go downstairs to the bus.  There's only one stairway down to the bus & it's just behind the sixth car, so rining in the last car gets me to the bus faster. 

I really wish they had rebuilt Howard the same way as they rebuilt Belmont & Fullerton.  With wider platforms, more stairs & escalators & not that insanely goofy way of going up & over the tracks & then down to the platforms.  There was plenty of room on the west side of the right of way to expand the station.

i’m curious about the forest glen garage. i’ve passed by it many times and it seems to be a very small garage in comparison to Chicago or Kedzie. With the CTA looking to electrify its fleet, i assume more space will be needed. will the cta rebuild FG? demolish and replace it somewhere else? i often think FG looks a bit old

In the electric bus conversion study, it was recommended that billions of dollars need to be spent upgrading all the garages. FG and NP specifically called out for being yards and not having indoor storage for charging. It will be interesting to see how CTA chooses to upgrade facilities for electrification, but I get the sense that they are going to have to be creative given the costs.

15 hours ago, ajkostner said:

i’m curious about the forest glen garage. i’ve passed by it many times and it seems to be a very small garage in comparison to Chicago or Kedzie. With the CTA looking to electrify its fleet, i assume more space will be needed. will the cta rebuild FG? demolish and replace it somewhere else? i often think FG looks a bit old

well now that you bring that up they have demolished this part of the garage that hasn’t been used for years

CFF06159-C51C-457D-AC96-BC343BCD4BAB.jpeg

6 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1279 said:

well now that you bring that up they have demolished this part of the garage that hasn’t been used for years

CFF06159-C51C-457D-AC96-BC343BCD4BAB.jpeg

That wasn't part of the garage, but was the Pyramid factory. CTA bought it about 8 years ago,  along with the garden center at 5601 N. Elston. It apparently is now only getting around to clearing those properties.

27 minutes ago, Busjack said:

That wasn't part of the garage, but was the Pyramid factory. CTA bought it about 8 years ago,  along with the garden center at 5601 N. Elston. It apparently is now only getting around to clearing those properties.

do you know what they’re gonna make there? i’ve been wondering since i seen demo begin

3 hours ago, MichelleC72 said:

The buse shooting on cottage with 7996 on 81st and cottage chicago police had a fellow bus operator out of his car in handcuffs he had the neckband on on the southbound side of the street trying to see if he was connected with the shooting 

Where are you getting that alleged information from?