CTA New Bus Order 2020

Tcmetro

2 hours ago, Mr.cta85 said:

Me personally I want cta to get the flyers cause I favor those more than the novas. But I also like the Eldorado's as well I noticed Pace has 3 different models of those buses 1 with the dark tinted windows like the latter novas then the other bus with the high blue battery on top which I'm really not a fan of as far as looks then lastly you have regular 1 if you will with the not so noticable white ac system on top. The 3rd is the 1 I hope CTA goes with if they in fact do go with Eldorado's for the next new buses. But I will say about the blue battery top version is I love the way the bus leans the opposite way when it makes a turn. It reminds me of those flixibles buses ????by the way I wish they never went out of business as well as the orion manufacturer.

There are actually only two models of Eldorkos that Pace has (if I'm understanding correctly), the CNGs (high blue battery) and diesels, which just have several variants (framed windows, frameless windows, frameless windows/1 door). 

I also hope for CTA to get flyers, although I wished they put out a bid for diesel-electric instead of just diesel since the diesels only have the quarter roof fins instead of full.

57 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I also hope for CTA to get flyers, although I wished they put out a bid for diesel-electric instead of just diesel since the diesels only have the quarter roof fins instead of full.

There's still supposed to be another EV order this year for 35 units, maybe NFI will win that. Although the transition to an electric fleet essentially opens it up to any manufacturer who makes such a product (Proterra, BYD, Gillig, Nova) so who knows what'll happen.

12 hours ago, WCR said:

There's still supposed to be another EV order this year for 35 units, maybe NFI will win that. Although the transition to an electric fleet essentially opens it up to any manufacturer who makes such a product (Proterra, BYD, Gillig, Nova) so who knows what'll happen.

I was about to say that Gillig doesn't make electric battery buses, just trolleybuses, and then to prevent FiM syndrome, I went to the website and lo and behold, a totally redesigned website with said buses front and center. I like the idea of more competition (and anything not Proterra)

• Haha 1

The manufacturers are a "slim pickings" now. I miss some of the old manufacturers and models. I wonder what the new series will be numbered.  Nova, 8350......???  NF Artic, 4400??  NF 40ft, 2200???  Or Gillig???  I hope its not El Dorados!  

4 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

The manufacturers are a "slim pickings" now. I miss some of the old manufacturers and models. I wonder what the new series will be numbered.  Nova, 8350......???  NF Artic, 4400??  NF 40ft, 2200???  Or Gillig???  I hope its not El Dorados!  

It's probably too early to say now, but if I had to put money on it I would say 8400 (picking up where the Novas left off). 2100s would risk interfering with railcar numbers, 3500s would dip into artic numbers. Maybe 5800s again could work too.

14 minutes ago, WCR said:

It's probably too early to say now, but if I had to put money on it I would say 8400 (picking up where the Novas left off). 2100s would risk interfering with railcar numbers, 3500s would dip into artic numbers. Maybe 5800s again could work too.

And now you just made me realize the train and bus numbers don't mix, wow. Is this done on purpose? I guess I'm used to WMATA, where there is overlap since each new generation of train goes up by 1000. That really does eliminate a lot of blocks of numbers. Based on what you and @CTA5750 said and assuming all 600 are ordered, that leaves us with

• 100-600
  • 2100-2700
  • 8400-up

Anything else runs into another series number

4 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

If Nova wins, 8350 or 8400 is most likely.   If New Flyer wins, it's anybody's guess. but I think I would start at 2100.  @WCR doesn't have to worry about interfering with the railcar numbers.  By the time CTA exercises all the options,  the 2600 series cars will be retired.   The 3500 series is available for Gillig and Eldorado should either longshot win.  

33 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

And now you just made me realize the train and bus numbers don't mix, wow. Is this done on purpose? I guess I'm used to WMATA, where there is overlap since each new generation of train goes up by 1000. That really does eliminate a lot of blocks of numbers. Based on what you and @CTA5750 said and assuming all 600 are ordered, that leaves us with

• 100-600
  • 2100-2700
  • 8400-up

There's a 4400 series they could use and not run into a bus or rail car series.

There's the 3500s since the railcars end at 3458.

There's the complete 9000 series.  The 9000s and 9600 series buses were retired in 1996.

I think the 3 digit series numbers will go to the electric bus fleets.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

There's a 4400 series they could use and not run into a bus or rail car series.

There's the 3500s since the railcars end at 3458.

There's the complete 9000 series.  The 9000s and 9600 series buses were retired in 1996.

I think the 3 digit series numbers will go to the electric bus fleets.

Assuming all 600 are ordered, I guess 4400 would just barely make the cut, I forgot to subtract 1, so the last one would be 4999. 3500 could only be used if 500 buses are ordered, since the artics start at 4000

23 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

@WCR doesn't have to worry about interfering with the railcar numbers.  By the time CTA exercises all the options,  the 2600 series cars will be retired.    

It would be cutting it pretty close. 2600s can't retire in mass until 7000 production cars start coming in over a year from now, and it'll be at least a year before we see production models for this bus order. That doesn't leave a huge window of time between the first 2600s departing and the last new buses arriving. But I'm probably thinking too hard about this.

52 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

And now you just made me realize the train and bus numbers don't mix, wow. Is this done on purpose? 

I think it is, that would explain the seemingly random decision to start the last Nova order off at 7900 (to make room for the 7000-series).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/23/2020 at 5:05 AM, sw4400 said:

It'll come down to one of these two, most likely.

d2pliY0.jpg

MTA_New_York_City_Transit_2015_Novabus_L

imageproxy.php?img=&key=2388b81b52db51e3imageproxy.php?img=&key=2388b81b52db51e3imageproxy.php?img=&key=2388b81b52db51e3

• I wonder what Ralph Kramden would say today if he saw what NYC buses look like!!!  I can just imagine it......."Homina! Homina! Homina!!!   He would be speechless!  LMAO! ? 

On 2/23/2020 at 5:05 AM, sw4400 said:

It'll come down to one of these two, most likely.

d2pliY0.jpg

MTA_New_York_City_Transit_2015_Novabus_L

imageproxy.php?img=&key=2388b81b52db51e3imageproxy.php?img=&key=2388b81b52db51e3imageproxy.php?img=&key=2388b81b52db51e3

I have to admit both buses look good in MTA livery.  PACE livery with the New Flyers looks great,!

I prefer the New Flyers but if it comes down to these two manufacturers,  it really doesn't matter.   Now if Gillug or Eldorado were to win, then we'd really have something to talk about.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I have to admit both buses look good in MTA livery.  PACE livery with the New Flyers looks great,!

I prefer the New Flyers but if it comes down to these two manufacturers,  it really doesn't matter.   Now if Gillug or Eldorado were to win, then we'd really have something to talk about.

I agree with all you said. I've heard rumors from other operators that cta is going with Novas for the next order but I hope they're wrong about it cause I personally want more flyers but I can see why especially with Pace going with flyers which is a surprise to see them flyers in pace livery. It seems like cta and pace never have the same buses so I can see cta going with nova to differentiate from Pace and 2 because perhaps Nova have the cheaper price. But if cta went with Eldorado that would be a big surprise and I would be cool with them as well. Can't wait to find out what happens. Until then I'll just continue to appreciate the flyers we have now cause they have about a good 6yrs left before they're gone. But hopefully they'll be replaced with the same company the same as the 6400 Novas are.

On 2/25/2020 at 1:46 PM, NewFlyerMCI said:

• 100-600
  • 2100-2700
  • 8400-up

I feel they will continue the numbering at 8350 assuming Novas gets the contract