X4 Cottage Grove Express

Tcmetro

On 8/4/2022 at 2:46 PM, andrethebusman said:

X4 will run to CSU. Technically ends at Cottage/95th but continues in service to CSU terminal. Interestingly has own set of buses, not interlined with 4 local.

I guess they still have access to CSU for now. The routing from the press release showed a routing for 93rd, Woodlawn, 95th and then Cottage but maybe that’s for if the 3, 4 and X4 do get kicked out of CSU.CB9EEA1E-3F81-4A73-AD59-5E850AAC1EE5.thumb.jpeg.09b6f389b59931aa43dc56e34deedc85.jpeg

1 hour ago, Nova's at 103rd said:

I guess they still have access to CSU for now. The routing from the press release showed a routing for 93rd, Woodlawn, 95th and then Cottage but maybe that’s for if the 3, 4 and X4 do get kicked out of CSU.CB9EEA1E-3F81-4A73-AD59-5E850AAC1EE5.thumb.jpeg.09b6f389b59931aa43dc56e34deedc85.jpeg

3 is moving real soon X4/4 undecided they will stick to CSU for now as per @YoungBusLover

8 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

So does this mean it’ll be “to 95th” or the usual “to 95th/St Lawrence”,”to Chicago State University”?

Until at least November or further notice the #4 and #X4 will still be headed to CSU, The #3 will be going to 95th and State street via Michigan, 99th and State to 95th starting August 22nd. Some runs on the X4 are full runs for the AM/PM rush periods, others are interlined with the local 4 and the rest are PTO runs.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

Until at least November or further notice the #4 and #X4 will still be headed to CSU, The #3 will be going to 95th and State street via Michigan, 99th and State to 95th starting August 22nd. Some runs on the X4 are full runs for the AM/PM rush periods, others are interlined with the local 4 and the rest are PTO runs.

Would it be possible to run the 3 and X4 to the red line station or is it only enough for what routes are already there? 

8 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

the answer is literally in the comment you responded to

Lol tweaked I’ve gone by the 95th red line after renovation but never actually been through it. I thought it was big enough to have space enough for a few extra bus routes just in case. 

14 hours ago, Javi75 said:

Lol tweaked I’ve gone by the 95th red line after renovation but never actually been through it. I thought it was big enough to have space enough for a few extra bus routes just in case. 

Imo, the terminal does, because the existing space isn’t properly utilized. The issue here was that the 3 & 4 are both resource-heavy routes; it’d be less of an issue if we’re talking about routes that run every 15 mins or worse getting sent to the terminal

On 8/5/2022 at 8:15 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Do you know when this knowledge will be public-facing, for the 3 at least? I couldn’t see anything on the upcoming alerts page for the 3

On 8/5/2022 at 7:15 PM, YoungBusLover said:

So will passenger service on the 3 end at 85th and King Drive or 95th and State?  If the latter, why nor continue the 3 on King Drive to 99th Pl and 98th Pl/99rg to State?  CSU students can get off at 97th if desired.  I suppose the only fear might be passenger boarding there and wanting to layover at 95th,  possibly ruining the layover and safety of the drivers.  The Michigan routing eliminates that assuming the "live" route ends at and begins at 95th and King Drive.  To @NewFlyerMCINewFlyerMCI's pount, that routine would have no need of notice or publishing. 

3 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Do you know when this knowledge will be public-facing, for the 3 at least? I couldn’t see anything on the upcoming alerts page for the 3

If CTA is smart enough they should have signs/bulletins posted on every bus stop until the launch date of the extension, same could be said for the X4.

59 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

So will passenger service on the 3 end at 85th and King Drive or 95th and State?  If the latter, why nor continue the 3 on King Drive to 99th Pl and 98th Pl/99rg to State?  CSU students can get off at 97th if desired.  I suppose the only fear might be passenger boarding there and wanting to layover at 95th,  possibly ruining the layover and safety of the drivers.  The Michigan routing eliminates that assuming the "live" route ends at and begins at 95th and King Drive.  To @NewFlyerMCINewFlyerMCI's pount, that routine would have no need of notice or publishing. 

Passenger service will terminate at 95th and State and passengers if they elect to stay on will be allowed to ride along via the new configuration to get there because it will still be quote on quote "Live service", Plus the run paddles I've reviewed showcased that as well.  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

If CTA is smart enough they should have signs/bulletins posted on every bus stop until the launch date of the extension, same could be said for the X4.

Passenger service will terminate at 95th and State and passengers if they elect to stay on will be allowed to ride along via the new configuration to get there because it will still be quote on quote "Live service", Plus the run paddles I've reviewed showcased that as well.  

Ok.  In that case, I'm surprised that the SB 3s don't use King Drive instead of Michigan Ave.   It's an easier turn from  King Drive, but by 99th being a one way, it's not an impossible turn from Michigan.   I just thought the CSU passengers would appreciate a 97th and King Drive drop in lieu of the 95th and St. Lawrence turnaround  .

Lguess we'll find out winter pick if the 4 and X4 will join them. 

Also the State St layover makes sense because there's no room in the terminal.   It doesn't make sense to try to cram a high frequency route in there when rge load factor is vary low at that point  

• Upvote 2

On 8/5/2022 at 7:15 PM, YoungBusLover said:

Similar to how the 49 and X49 weekday combination along Western.

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

My thought is to get rid of the N5 name  and just flip the signs.

Meh just keep N5 since it works. Why program Clever Devices to flip through several routes along a run when it's easier to just use one destination?

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Similar to how the 49 and X49 weekday combination along Western.

Meh just keep N5 since it works. Why program Clever Devices to flip through several routes along a run when it's easier to just use one destination?

I get your point.  But Oace has done it with a route that ends at one point but continues as another route. A current example is the 305/316 combo which once was all 305.  But it was rerouted to serve the Cicero Blue Line station.  The portion between the Forest Park station and the Cicero station retained the 305 and the pirtion between the Cicero station and Morton College was renumbered 316.  

At one time,  certain NB 307 trips ended at Harlem/South Blvd bur continued north on Harlem as a 318 North Avenue.  It's not difficult and can be done   .  The driver only has to drive rge route and the signage automatically changes 

I've been thinking about something. Since it's been reported that a number of the X4 runs will be full runs interlined with the locals similar to how the X49 is handled with the local 49, I'm also wondering if CTA will have it where the X4 is operating most to all of the service that ends at 95th while the local route handles the service to 115th similar to how service between the 9 and X9 is divided for the alternating service to 95th and 103rd on the Ashland corridor.

21 hours ago, jajuan said:

I've been thinking about something. Since it's been reported that a number of the X4 runs will be full runs interlined with the locals similar to how the X49 is handled with the local 49, I'm also wondering if CTA will have it where the X4 is operating most to all of the service that ends at 95th while the local route handles the service to 115th similar to how service between the 9 and X9 is divided for the alternating service to 95th and 103rd on the Ashland corridor.

It will be a combination of both, the paddles showcased that the local service will increase with X4's sprinkled throughout. A majority of locals will still go to either 95th/115th, some X4's will be interlined with a local starting at the relief point at 71st while others come from the garage.

6 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

It will be a combination of both, the paddles showcased that the local service will increase with X4's sprinkled throughout. A majority of locals will still go to either 95th/115th, some X4's will be interlined with a local starting at the relief point at 71st while others come from  the garage.

That makes sense. Thinking on it again the alternate south terminal for Cottage Grove is a mile and a half further south than the alternate for Ashland. So I guess some of the local 4's would need still need to end at 95th to keep the combined schedules straight.

Quick sidenote question: With CPS having school start a week from tomorrow, is CTA having the fall changeover beginning that same week? Or will it be during the Labor Day holiday week as traditionally tends to be the case?

18 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

It will be a combination of both, the paddles showcased that the local service will increase with X4's sprinkled throughout. A majority of locals will still go to either 95th/115th, some X4's will be interlined with a local starting at the relief point at 71st while others come from  the garage.

Would you by chance have those paddles, for visual purposes?

Scheduling, as I realize over the last decade, do a really good job with blocking and interlining, but never realizing the "how".

1 hour ago, MetroShadow said:

Would you by chance have those paddles, for visual purposes?

Scheduling, as I realize over the last decade, do a really good job with blocking and interlining, but never realizing the "how".

Most definitely I have them, I'll most likely show some examples without giving out the run numbers since these are fresh so to speak.

12 hours ago, jajuan said:

That makes sense. Thinking on it again the alternate south terminal for Cottage Grove is a mile and a half further south than the alternate for Ashland. So I guess some of the local 4's would need still need to end at 95th to keep the combined schedules straight.

Quick sidenote question: With CPS having school start a week from tomorrow, is CTA having the fall changeover beginning that same week? Or will it be during the Labor Day holiday week as traditionally tends to be the case?

CTA will start the Fall Pick to align with the updated start time for CPS so that means the traditional Labor day start is out the door for now at least. So starting this upcoming Sunday going into Monday the new pick will commence with brand new Sunday schedules for most routes not all though.

20 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

So as far as X4's being interlined with locals the general idea here is, one run will pull-out as an X4 and do one trip or one and a half then pull-in or get relieved for the first half then either they'll pull-out as a local or an express for the 2nd half. The local service is really beefed up so it'll be interesting to see how things play out next week.

4 Local Example.png

X4 Example 2.png

X4 Example.png

4 Local Example2.png

4 Local Example3.png

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

So as far as X4's being interlined with locals the general idea here is, one run will pull-out as an X4 and do one trip or one and a half then pull-in or get relieved for the first half then either they'll pull-out as a local or an express for the 2nd half. The local service is really beefed up so it'll be interesting to see how things play out next week.

4 Local Example.png

X4 Example 2.png

X4 Example.png

4 Local Example2.png

4 Local Example3.png

Next week is definitely going to be interesting. Hopefully the resurrection of the X4 brings some relief to the operators on the locals, and all the operators overall on Cottage for that matter, as CTA hopes.