And the next garage to get New Flyers is...

rmadisonwi

No. You'll likely see them more often (and Flixbles less often) over the next few weeks as deliveries to Chicago continue.

Very true. These deliveries would enable the Chicago Garage to become the second CTA garage (after Archer) to be entirely equipped with low-floor buses - in this case, both garages would run Novas and New Flyers exclusively when the Chicago Garage's alotment of 1000's has completed delivery (with bus 1440 or thereabouts).

And no one knows when 74th will receive its first low-floor buses; it's still holding out for now, being entirely equipped with older, high-floor buses...

Chicago Garage's alotment of 1000's has completed delivery (with bus 1440 or thereabouts).

And no one knows when 74th will receive its first low-floor buses; it's still holding out for now, being entirely equipped with older, high-floor buses...

Just noticed something. Base order is 650 buses right? So after Chicago garages order is over they will have at least enough buses to fill 2 garages (Flexs place). I wonder what those 2 garages will be?

74th garage should be able to receive the buses, but everyday now I doubt that. The TMC's are not on the retirement list, neither is the 6000s. I'm sure they are not going to cram the 1000s in. If they do then the TMCs will start retirement in 2007? 1 year too soon.

Just noticed something. Base order is 650 buses right? So after Chicago garages order is over they will have at least enough buses to fill 2 garages (Flexs place). I wonder what those 2 garages will be?

74th garage should be able to receive the buses, but everyday now I doubt that. The TMC's are not on the retirement list, neither is the 6000s. I'm sure they are not going to cram the 1000s in. If they do then the TMCs will start retirement in 2007? 1 year too soon.

Actually, the base order was 245 D40LF's. Additional options for 185 and 200 buses brought the total of D40LF's to 630 buses. (Add to those totals the 20 DE40LF's which are being delivered to Kedzie, though some of the DE40LF's are being rotated to other garages after being tested on the Kedzie-controlled routes.) And the Chicago Garage (which is currently receiving the New Flyers) is currently the only garage that still has a sizable number of 5300-series Flxibles (though a few are currently scattered amongst 103rd and Kedzie). The number of 5300's currently assigned to 103rd and Kedzie combined would not be enough to justify adding additional New Flyers to either of those two garages. Instead, additional buses from other garages will be transferred to replace whatever 5300's that remain at both of those garages.

Thus, it is a safe bet (although not yet confirmed) that either North Park or 74th would be receiving the buses numbered above 1440, since both garages have a large number of 4400-series TMC's which are due for retirement beginning later this year.

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, the base order was 245 D40LF's. Additional options for 185 and 200 buses brought the total of D40LF's to 630 buses. (Add to those totals the 20 DE40LF's which are being delivered to Kedzie, though some of the DE40LF's are being rotated to other garages after being tested on the Kedzie-controlled routes.) And the Chicago Garage (which is currently receiving the New Flyers) is currently the only garage that still has a sizable number of 5300-series Flxibles (though a few are currently scattered amongst 103rd and Kedzie). The number of 5300's currently assigned to 103rd and Kedzie combined would not be enough to justify adding additional New Flyers to either of those two garages. Instead, additional buses from other garages will be transferred to replace whatever 5300's that remain at both of those garages.

Thus, it is a safe bet (although not yet confirmed) that either North Park or 74th would be receiving the buses numbered above 1440, since both garages have a large number of 4400-series TMC's which are due for retirement beginning later this year.

Still, My Prediction Is 74 Then 103

• 1 month later...

My only concern is that I don't think many 4400's will retire, at least anytime soon. Since the high brass explained for "fleet expansion", they probably meant additional buses used for brown line expansion.

With that being said, I will say that NP will get new buses to add on to their fleet, followed by 74. They'll get rid of whatever 5300's are remaining (or at least the bad ones), but the 4400's they'll keep for awhile (until the brown line construction is over).

With that being said, I will say that NP will get new buses to add on to their fleet, followed by 74. They'll get rid of whatever 5300's are remaining (or at least the bad ones), but the 4400's they'll keep for awhile (until the brown line construction is over).

Don't rule out the possibility of 74th getting new buses and having their TMC's shifting to

North Park and keeping that garage a TMC haven. Remember, they got a good majority

of the last Americana's before they retired those (replaced with low-floor NABI's). And

althought it would make sense to pacify those who have been displaced by the poor

planning of the Brown Line work, it seems as though old equipment will find it's way

to fill any void (remember the Green Line work...all old stuff, Americana's and old

MAN artics ran a lot of that shuttle work). I am not saying that 74th will in fact get

New Flyers...just don't assume that North Park will get them first.

I think 103rd desperately needs the New Flyers. A friend of mine who rides the #95E says the Fixibles buses are always breaking down. The TMCS, 6000 Fixibles, the Orions and the Optimas aren't bad. Just them Fixibles that Frank needs to hurry up and get rid of them!! Frank makes me so angry!

Don't rule out the possibility of 74th getting new buses and having their TMC's shifting to

North Park and keeping that garage a TMC haven....all old stuff, Americana's and old

MAN artics ran a lot of that shuttle work). I am not saying that 74th will in fact get

New Flyers...just don't assume that North Park will get them first.

I will say, that its still a toss up between 74 and NP, although its up for grabs for the rest of the system (I would love to see it out of NP or FG). 103 has optimas, but has a bunch of junk, and 74 just gets high floors anyway.

I do remember the green line construction where we got all ex-Pace buses to add on to the fleet. In this case, the TMC's might get sent north anyway.

(I'm still in support of bringing back the 89 Kedzie back...gives a legit reason for more buses out of NP)

(I'm still in support of bringing back the 89 Kedzie back...gives a legit reason for more buses out of NP)

Keep in mind that someplace a little while back it was noted that North Park didn't have

room for more buses and that is why there is one Evanston Route out of Forest Glen.

I still don't understand that...they couldn't house one or two more buses...that really

doesn't make any sense to me. Anyway, if that is the case, your 89 would have to

come out of Chicago or Kedzie or something, if in fact that is the case. This whole

set up right now just shows how inept the planners are at the CTA....probably putting

too much into computer logic and not using enough human logic. All of this juggling

suggests to me a lot of $$ being spent unnecessarily.

Is the missing and unreplaced Limits garage being missed now ??????

Kedzie could operate the 89 (it operates the 82). I can also see the point that it may be necessary to balance out demand among garages. I also see trainman's point that the deadheading is costing money. As to garage location, it would have made more sense to put North Park in Rogers Park, so that it is not parallel to both Kedzie and Forest Glen, but who has the capital money or the will to exercise the eminent domain power to do that? Not practical.

Also, if North Park is out of room, apparently the articulateds took more yard space than contemplated. One would then think that Kedzie would have a similar problem.

It doesn't help with NP running the most routes in the system and 74th running the least. In my opinion, #151 Sherdian should operate of out Kedzie at ALL times, give #22 Clark and #36 Broadway to Kedzie, give #49B Western to FG, and open a new garage somewhere roughly south of Bucktown or on the near north side. Kedzie should give #10 Museum of Science and Industry to 77th at ALL times. Chicago should get #127 Madison/Roosevelt. #17 Westchester should just get cut.

We should open a new topic and talk about this stuff there, instead in a 1000 page.

:lol: Good heavens, Timmy! I wonder that New Flyer buses goes in and out of garages when:

1.) The drivers changed buses.

2.) The drivers showed up for work and get off work.

3.) Buses started and stopped running.

May I remind you that the buses 10 Museum of Science and Industry, 17 Westchester, 127 Madison/Roosevelt and 151 Sheridan goes in and out of Kedzie Garage and buses 22 Clark, 36 Broadway and 49B North Western goes in and out of North Park Garage too. What is NP stands for and what is FG stands for?

Thanks,

Alfie B)

:lol: Good heavens, Timmy! I wonder that New Flyer buses goes in and out of garages when:

1.) The drivers changed buses.

2.) The drivers showed up for work and get off work.

3.) Buses started and stopped running.

May I remind you that the buses 10 Museum of Science and Industry, 17 Westchester, 127 Madison/Roosevelt and 151 Sheridan goes in and out of Kedzie Garage and buses 22 Clark, 36 Broadway and 49B North Western goes in and out of North Park Garage too. What is NP stands for and what is FG stands for?

Thanks,

Alfie B)

I can answer two questions here;

1) NP = North Park

2) FG = Forest Glen

Or as I used to see on the mylar curtain signs,

1) KEDZIE-FOSTER

2) ELSTON-ARMSTRONG

Gene King

• 3 weeks later...

The next garage to get the 1000s is North Park. However, they're not (yet) taking delivery of new ones. Instead, a small number are being transferred from 77th. On top of that, two of the 5800s have been brought back from the dead, bringing the in-service total to 61 from 59.

I can attest that this has begun. 1233 was on the 49B today, seen at Western and

Peterson northbound at 1:45pm.