6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

2 hours ago, Manny018 said:

Why is this retirement taking so long? CTA has enough new flyer 1000s and nova 7900s to where buses can be swapped and moved around to retire the old novas. I’m pretty sure every garage has about 15-20 flyers they can send to FG and pull the old novas out of service. I hope one day the old novas fall apart on route like the Nabis did that way CTA has to be forced to pull them out of service. Is it going to hurt to up and pull every nova 6400 out of service? It’s only like 80 buses left. 

To add on to @YoungBusLover, CTA still needs some of these buses, to some extent. The 7900s were not a blanket replacement for the 6400s (iirc, there is a ~35 bus difference in favor of the 6400s). I suspect we won't truly be rid of them until the next order of buses comes in.

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

To add on to @YoungBusLover, CTA still needs some of these buses, to some extent. The 7900s were not a blanket replacement for the 6400s (iirc, there is a ~35 bus difference in favor of the 6400s). I suspect we won't truly be rid of them until the next order of buses comes in.

We have Electric buses coming in 3 months so that will get rid of some 6400’s because Chicago will get electric and another garage so that means those 2 garages will send FG flyers to replace the 6400’s you get the pattern?

54 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

We have Electric buses coming in 3 months so that will get rid of some 6400’s because Chicago will get electric and another garage so that means those 2 garages will send FG flyers to replace the 6400’s you get the pattern?

I'm actually not sure the electric buses will be a total replacement either. I'm not saying the fleet has to make up the exact difference, but there would still be about a 10 bus difference. Also, there's no guarantee Chicago, or eventually 74th, would give up buses or that they would even go to FG when the Proterras come in, its not like the garages are bursting at the seams afaik. Happy to be wrong though.

4 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

One 'advantage' the old, junky Novas have is, as I (and you) can read on this forum, their air conditioning almost always works9_9 So perhaps the Authority does not want to retire these buses this soon.

They have the best A/Cs in the entire fleet in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

One 'advantage' the old, junky Novas have is, as I (and you) can read on this forum, their air conditioning almost always works9_9 So perhaps the Authority does not want to retire these buses this soon.

When I was a child I'd always be happy about seeing Thermo King on the roof :D

7 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

Another advantage is they give people on this forum something to argue about. :D

• Haha 5

21 hours ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Do they just retire them after doing a inspection or is they just getting rid of the ones they feel like knocking off cuz didn't they do a rehab on em back in 2011 or so 

They've never received a rehab to the best of my knowledge, I remember hearing slight chirps about it after the Metros were retired in 2010 but nothing much there after. I would only imagine that they're doing a which ever one outlasts the other method. FG has done a good job with them so far up to this point so only time will tell but I see them making it to at least January 2020 at best.

43 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

They've never received a rehab to the best of my knowledge, I remember hearing slight chirps about it after the Metros were retired in 2010 but nothing much there after. I would only imagine that they're doing a which ever one outlasts the other method. FG has done a good job with them so far up to this point so only time will tell but I see them making it to at least January 2020 at best.

We gotta give props to FG for keeping these buses run smoothly they might look old and rusty on the outside but when you hop on it your going to enjoy the fast ride yesterday I ride 6861 on the 81W and we were flying the whole route 

4 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

We gotta give props to FG for keeping these buses run smoothly they might look old and rusty on the outside but when you hop on it your going to enjoy the fast ride yesterday I ride 6861 on the 81W and we were flying the whole route 

No matter what some drivers may say about them being a pain in the a** to drive them at this age when they're properly maintained at this size of about 50 or 60 buses total nearly half I would say run great while the rest run moderately okay.

1 hour ago, YoungBusLover said:

Yea I think it's going to be another year or so before they completely knock em off & they just basically letting them kill themselves

37 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

No matter what some drivers may say about them being a pain in the a** to drive them at this age when they're properly maintained at this size of about 50 or 60 buses total nearly half I would say run great while the rest run moderately okay.

There’s barely any 6700’s bus they run great also 6800’s

37 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

So true they do a better job keeping em up now lol 

4 hours ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

6854 has broken down yesterday, and the transmission on that bus is not so good, and 6710 had a similar issue. Ajay made a video but ended right before it broke down.

Thanks @Erin Mishkin Jr.. Yes the bus was running slower each time it came to a complete stop. But however...the reason i didn't record it is because I got interrupted. But i got some images.

20190621_165751.jpg

20190621_165700.jpg

20190621_165758.jpg

20190621_165700.jpg