6400-series Nova LFS - Updates & Retirements

sw4400

9 hours ago, busfan2847 said:

This 6400 (reg M119 823) was the pilot bus, The 6400 sold in 2015 was M118 341. The pilot bus briefly carried the fleet number 6400 but has been an unnumbered mechanical trainer ever since. Exactly the same as the pilot 1000 (M125 505) which is retained as a mechanical trainer (see https://www.chicagobus.org/buses/1000 ). The current 1000 (M164 867) was delivered at the same time as 1475-1571 batch.

I was just thinking the 6400 was just like the 1000's cuz they have to drop a pilot bus first 

On 8/21/2019 at 12:13 PM, busfan2847 said:

This 6400 (reg M119 823) was the pilot bus, The 6400 sold in 2015 was M118 341. The pilot bus briefly carried the fleet number 6400 but has been an unnumbered mechanical trainer ever since. Exactly the same as the pilot 1000 (M125 505) which is retained as a mechanical trainer (see https://www.chicagobus.org/buses/1000 ). The current 1000 (M164 867) was delivered at the same time as 1475-1571 batch.

I was just thinking the 6400 was just like the 1000's cuz they have to drop a pilot bus first 

I dont know why it irks me everytime I see it. But this morning while waiting for a Pulse bus!,Yeah! A Pulse bus! YUKKKK! :)   I see 6730, I cant stand looking at where the side number is placed almost to the rear  It just looks like it dosent belong there!  LOL!  

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

I dont know why it irks me everytime I see it. But this morning while waiting for a Pulse bus!,Yeah! A Pulse bus! YUKKKK! :)   I see 6730, I cant stand looking at where the side number is placed almost to the rear  It just looks like it dosent belong there!  LOL!  

Yep idk why 6730 has that number all the way in the back it’s like 7900 with the number all the way back

1 hour ago, CTA5750 said:

I kind of like it. Reminds me of the Flxible Metros.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Yea I be laughing at that when I see it I be like wtf everytime

3 hours ago, YoungBusLover said:

No, the only thing they received was regular maintenance up until they began to get retired based on there overall condition. 

Oh ok bet they petty didn't give em a rehab and some still in great running shape and still look but I also noticed that most of the ones that came from C & the ones FG kept are in way better shape then the was that was sent outsouth to 74th & 7 it's like that they just beat TF outta them when they got em not downing em or nothing 

53 minutes ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Oh ok bet they petty didn't give em a rehab and some still in great running shape and still look but I also noticed that most of the ones that came from C & the ones FG kept are in way better shape then the was that was sent outsouth to 74th & 7 it's like that they just beat TF outta them when they got em not downing em or nothing 

Well with Doomsday 2010 looming around during that time frame, CTA was in debt by a large margin, rehabbing buses that were less than 10 years at the time while finishing options of the last new flyers around 2008-2009, while also retiring Metros and going through legal disputes with then active NABI among other transit debacles at the time, rehabbing the #6400's just didn't fit the budget let alone was a concern for CTA. Can't rehab anything when your in debt midway through a recession. Every garage that had #6400's post 2010 did there best to maintain what they had and as there age began to show around 2013-2014 they were knocked off in batches from 2013-present kind of like the #5300's were from 2003-2009 all un-rehabbed of course I might add. I always speak personally from 74th since that's my home turf as a passenger and they did a decent job with there batch of late #6500's to #6600's then later on #6400's and #6800's. I rode most of the #6600's and they ran alright other than #6481,#6642 and #6644. #6481 was the first bus I ever been on late in its life in service with bad breaks written on the dashboard while in service back 2014, I couldn't believe 74th let that one run for that long as a safety hazard, I remember when the driver made the call in to pull it out of service because of the brakes but also the engine was dying on it as well. Overall maintenance from the CTA and city roads determines the condition for all vehicles will be in for there service life on the road. Try riding some of FGs #8200's and compare the roads and maintenance to that of 74th's #8000's, you'll see why FG has fixed up what the south and west-sides did to the #6400's.

9 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well with Doomsday 2010 looming around during that time frame, CTA was in debt by a large margin, rehabbing buses that were less than 10 years at the time while finishing options of the last new flyers around 2008-2009, while also retiring Metros and going through legal disputes with then active NABI among other transit debacles at the time, rehabbing the #6400's just didn't fit the budget let alone was a concern for CTA. Can't rehab anything when your in debt midway through a recession. Every garage that had #6400's post 2010 did there best to maintain what they had and as there age began to show around 2013-2014 they were knocked off in batches from 2013-present kind of like the #5300's were from 2003-2009 all un-rehabbed of course I might add. I always speak personally from 74th since that's my home turf as a passenger and they did a decent job with there batch of late #6500's to #6600's then later on #6400's and #6800's. I rode most of the #6600's and they ran alright other than #6481,#6642 and #6644. #6481 was the first bus I ever been on late in its life in service with bad breaks written on the dashboard while in service back 2014, I couldn't believe 74th let that one run for that long as a safety hazard, I remember when the driver made the call in to pull it out of service because of the brakes but also the engine was dying on it as well. Overall maintenance from the CTA and city roads determines the condition for all vehicles will be in for there service life on the road. Try riding some of FGs #8200's and compare the roads and maintenance to that of 74th's #8000's, you'll see why FG has fixed up what the south and west-sides did to the #6400's.

True I dam bear forgot about the doomsday situation cus haven't been long rehabbing the 5300's & 60's then knocked them all off I seen on a FG active roster that like 10-12 60's came back to active in 2012 I will look for it again to see if I can back that up & yea I know they did the best they could & Chicago street are fucked up with potholes & all I was just saying seems like C & FG 6400'S was in better shape & that's with most of their buses bad brakes I remember bing on 6031 in 08 I think it was running on the 7 them brakes was so bad when they driver had to make a quick stop it stopped but got to popping the driver went in the back typed it in & they told him run it to Central then half of the route back to K 

25 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

I wonder what was wrong with 6642, even though that was your favorite Nova because it squeals.