The Breakdown Thread

sw4400

2 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Yep they drive harder in the south side since some of the north Side novas at FG sound like new and they got a bit over 100k miles by now probably

If not close to the same amount of miles they just aint hitting as many bumps as outsouth

2 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

They're most likely not going to get what #1000's got but more so just patch ups here and there.

Yeah I think I agree with you as rehabs take a while and cta doesn’t want rehabs that much more since   I remember the last D40LF was rehabbed in 2015 and no other series got full rehabs. Hopefully they’ll patch the broken buses so they won’t break down so quick 

3 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Yeah I think I agree with you as rehabs take a while and cta doesn’t want rehabs that much more since   I remember the last D40LF was rehabbed in 2015 and no other series got full rehabs. Hopefully they’ll patch the broken buses so they won’t break down so quick 

Well in a few years if the CTA has any funds leftover after the #4300s are rehabbed and the first batch of newer #8349's start rolling in the skies the limit for the #7900's to get some type of rehab.

Well in a few years if the CTA has any funds leftover after the #4300s are rehabbed and the first batch of newer #8349's start rolling in the skies the limit for the #7900's to get some type of rehab.

Oh so the novas would be like 10 years old by then when CTA will be mostly nova which is surprising with all the ones they might get when the oldest start getting a rehab

44 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea time for them to get a overhaul but they then broke 200-250k miles

Yeah we have some now approaching close to having 300k miles on them while other that sat dormant for months and got major work done have less than 50k miles on them, the ones that have the most will most likely ride into retirement in the next year or two while others will go as far as the CTA will let them go.  

Yeah we have some now approaching close to having 300k miles on them while other that sat dormant for months and got major work done have less than 50k miles on them, the ones that have the most will most likely ride into retirement in the next year or two while others will go as far as the CTA will let them go.  

Wow 300k that’s a lot of miles they’re getting trying to match with the D40LF’s now at just less than 7 years old lol. I’d imagine one bus hitting a million miles if the buses are out on the streets a lot. The only bus I’m thinking that has less than 50k miles is 8327 due to how long it’s been out of action for but idk what else has been gone for so long I’m thinking almost all of them have passed 100k by now 

1 minute ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Oh so the novas would be like 10 years old by then when CTA will be mostly nova which is surprising with all the ones they might get when the oldest start getting a rehab

Well history previously shows that budget dictates what gets rehabbed and what doesn't in most cases back in 2013 the CTA wanted an entirely brand new fleet that could co-exist with the incoming #7900s while retiring the remaining #6400s, the money was there for the taking and we know how that turned out. Several years later the CTA in my opinion isn't in a good spot due to the pandemic and ordering newer equipment is the way to go but at what cost? I personally would of preferred if they went with New Flyer just on durability purposes alone, NovaBus is a good manufacture but not better than New Flyer by any means, the older model generations from both companies were much better than the current ones they produce today. New Flyer has the slighter edge though to me at least the handling superb  along with the overall mechanics of the bus itself, now I haven't operated the current XD40s but I've been on them and they feel far more comfortable than the LFS, the extended portion of the front is what really bugs me because anytime you're going over rough terrain or even just a slight dip in the pavement you'll feel it instantly and sometimes the front will hit the pavement especially if you're traveling on LSD. I always prefer a Flyer on LSD because they can handle it far better. I remember one time I was traveling SB on LSD near the museum campus and I went over this uneven terrain of pavement and the front dipped down and up kind of like a tug boat in rough seas and when I tell I like that bus was going to crack like an egg with all the rattling and shaking it did. Some parts of the interior panels nearly came apart after that. I notified control and pulled in after I was done with my trip to let maintenance know that these buses should not be on LSD at all, they're just too fragile at this point to be out there.

16 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Wow 300k that’s a lot of miles they’re getting trying to match with the D40LF’s now at just less than 7 years old lol. I’d imagine one bus hitting a million miles if the buses are out on the streets a lot. The only bus I’m thinking that has less than 50k miles is 8327 due to how long it’s been out of action for but idk what else has been gone for so long I’m thinking almost all of them have passed 100k by now 

#1276 has about 12,000 miles on it, I had it yesterday on the #2, it was pretty fast and had that fresh smell of a brand new bus, the paint was brand new as well the only problem was it had this loud whine coming from one of the fans in the HVAC and you could hear it from several blocks away. Whenever I would pull off from a service stop in the downtown area everyone would just look up ands wonder what the loud noise was and all I could do was laugh because of how loud that bus was, it made me feel like I was driving an old #5300 with the loud 6v92 engines they had. I miss those days where buses were loud and made people pay more attention to there surroundings ahh the good ole days. 

#1276 has about 12,000 miles on it, I had it yesterday on the #2, it was pretty fast and had that fresh smell of a brand new bus, the paint was brand new as well the only problem was it had this loud whine coming from one of the fans in the HVAC and you could hear from blocks away. Whenever I would pull off from a service stop in the downtown area everyone would just look up ands wonder what the loud noise was and all I could do was laugh because of how loud that bus was, it made me feel like I was driving an old #5300 with the loud 6v92 engines they had. I miss those days where buses were loud and made people pay more attention to there surroundings ahh the good ole days. 

1276 needa be out on downtown routes a lot??

#1276 has about 12,000 miles on it, I had it yesterday on the #2, it was pretty fast and had that fresh smell of a brand new bus, the paint was brand new as well the only problem was it had this loud whine coming from one of the fans in the HVAC and you could hear it from several blocks away. Whenever I would pull off from a service stop in the downtown area everyone would just look up ands wonder what the loud noise was and all I could do was laugh because of how loud that bus was, it made me feel like I was driving an old #5300 with the loud 6v92 engines they had. I miss those days where buses were loud and made people pay more attention to there surroundings ahh the good ole days. 

1276 was the paintball bus from last fall. Did you get the audio clip of that bus I’d love to hear a whine or it sounded like 1277?

1 minute ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

1276 is on the 53A right now ima wait till it’s onna downtown route

Imagine if that comes to FG we’ll be foaming over it, I rarely go downtown because all my videos are on west side and my last non west side bus ride was 8245 on 76.  I need to hear more d40lf’s the ones I heard so far isn’t enough lol

5 minutes ago, YoungBusLover said:

Well history previously shows that budget dictates what gets rehabbed and what doesn't in most cases back in 2013 the CTA wanted an entirely brand new fleet that could co-exist with the incoming #7900s while retiring the remaining #6400s, the money was there for the taking and we know how that turned out. Several years later the CTA in my opinion isn't in a good spot due to the pandemic and ordering newer equipment is the way to go but at what cost? I personally would of preferred if they went with New Flyer just on durability purposes alone, NovaBus is a good manufacture but not better than New Flyer by any means, the older model generations from both companies were much better than the current ones they produce today. New Flyer has the slighter edge though to me at least the handling superb  along with the overall mechanics of the bus itself, now I haven't operated the current XD40s but I've been on them and they feel far more comfortable than the LFS, the extended portion of the front is what really bugs me because anytime you're going over rough terrain or even just a slight dip in the pavement you'll feel it instantly and sometimes the front will hit the pavement especially if you're traveling on LSD. I always prefer a Flyer on LSD because they can handle it far better. I remember one time I was traveling SB on LSD near the museum campus and I went over this uneven terrain of pavement and the front dipped down and up kind of like a tug boat in rough seas and when I tell I like that bus was going to crack like an egg with all the rattling and shaking it did. Some parts of the interior panels nearly came apart after that. I notified control and pulled in after I was done with my trip to let maintenance know that these buses should not be on LSD at all, they're just too fragile at this point to be out there.

When Pace West first got its New Flyers, I noticed that when buses were turning out of the Forest Park north terminal, it seemed like the bumper or something was hitting the ground.  This never happened on any of the other models.  I don't know if Pace did any repairs or drivers are more careful and slower  turning out to go SB in Desplaines Ave, but the contact with the ground isn't happening anymore. 

Interesting enough, I have never rode any Nova on an LSD route.  I suppose it's a good thing the city reconstructed the bridge over 47th otherwise the low floors buses .might have sustained a lot of damage. 

1 minute ago, artthouwill said:

When Pace West first got its New Flyers, I noticed that when buses were turning out of the Forest Park north terminal, it seemed like the bumper or something was hitting the ground.  This never happened on any of the other models.  I don't know if Pace did any repairs or drivers are more careful and slower  turning out to go SB in Desplaines Ave, but the contact with the ground isn't happening anymore. 

Interesting enough, I have never rode any Nova on an LSD route.  I suppose it's a good thing the city reconstructed the bridge over 47th otherwise the low floors buses .might have sustained a lot of damage. 

I could only assume that speed and the angle might of been a factor if the bumpers were hitting the ground but it was probably a combination of both, repairs were made and operators began being more careful coming out of there knowing what could happen if they didn't. Now as far as South LSD is concerned the bridge at 47th is a night mare during the AM runs on the 2 for a nova but not as bad as it once was years  ago. You should take a trip on the 2 and you'll see why they shouldn't be on that route especially if you sit close to the front.

12 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

1276 is on the 53A right now ima wait till it’s onna downtown route

10 minutes ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

Imagine if that comes to FG we’ll be foaming over it, I rarely go downtown because all my videos are on west side and my last non west side bus ride was 8245 on 76.  I need to hear more d40lf’s the ones I heard so far isn’t enough lol

You can hear the whine and fans all start meshing together as one as the video progresses.