More Bus Moves

sw4400

Wasn't it reported on here they have different turning radius'. I'd hate to find that out on tight turns like the belmont to sheridan/inner lsd turn. Or even the addison neva turn which is hair raising.

I don't think so. The only issue is that the nose might add a foot (61' compared to 60'). According to the Xcelsior specs, would have the same turning radius than a 40' bus.

I don't think so. The only issue is that the nose might add a foot (61' compared to 60'). According to the Xcelsior specs, would have the same turning radius than a 40' bus.

This was back when I was talking about the turn for the #26 on the south side or when they were new. The buses turn wide, they don't seem to have the flexibility of the older models at the accordian. You can see that at the Wacker/Michigan turn for the #6. The buses turn and barely make that turn. The maximum angle of the accordian looks to me like 60-80 degrees, with the older models doing 90 degrees. If so that would make places like Addison/Neva hair raising because it doesn't seem to perform well on tight turns.

In the wake of another overnight trade, it looks as if 77th in now Nova-less. 1045 and 1050 are both appearing on BusTracker working routes out of 77th.

Until today, there were about 22 Novas still at 77th: 6428-6447 & 6468-6469. (6470 is still MIA). It's probably safe to assume that they've found a new home at Chicago Ave. However, no Chicago Ave. Novas seem to be operating today. In the meantime, it looks as if 1041-1042 and 1329-1331 are the only pre-1430 NFs still there. (Not sure about 1043-1044).

One other item which may or may not be meaningful: All of Kedzie's artics in service today, on the #12 and the "Short #151", are 4000s. So, what's up with the 4300s, if anything? (NP is just showing the usual suspects on Tracker. No sign of 4339 or 4340).

Until we actually see the Kedzie assigned 4300s back on the road, I'd hold off on any thoughts that they went anywhere else. The only big reason to move artics around would be because of the spring pick and that's not until next weekend, next Sunday to be exact. I don't know about the clearance theory in regards to what is still so far a hypothetical move of 4300s to NP because 103rd would have issues with its hybrid 4300s which do have to pass beneath underpasses on the 6, J14 and sometimes 26 and 28. I think the fins on a hybrid 4300 are the same height as the battery pack of a 4000, but because the fins run the length of the bus gives the illusion that it's taller.

You're probably right, Jajuan. But it's strange that no Kedzie 4300s are appearing on Tracker. It could be for some reason not related to an impending trade.

But if my memory serves me, there is a precedent for swapping artics between K and NP as part of an effort to keep overall fleet use in balance. (NABI artics were shuffled on a few occasions). Overall, the Kedzie artics seem to have a lot more idle time than the ones at NP.

Speaking of artics guys, #4206 and #4207 are parked outside Kedzie Garage.

Now that's interesting, Garmon. I wonder if that could have been a swap for 4339 and 4340.

Only speculating 'til we know for sure, but K and NP have traded artics before.

Now that's interesting, Garmon. I wonder if that could have been a swap for 4339 and 4340.

Only speculating 'til we know for sure, but K and NP have traded artics before.

It can't be because they both were parked outside at Kedzie also during the time I was out there which was around Noon.

Maybe.. 4339 & 4340 are being used for Blue Line Shuttle out of NP. Although NP has an abundance of artics, they may be used for that specifically, and I am happy that 77th gave away all of its NOVAS. Hopefully 77th remains all NF.

I doubt that be the case. Weekend service for North Park routes aren't high enough for North Park to need to borrow artics from Kedzie to operate Blue Line shuttles as evidenced by North Park being able to operate its routes with no use of artics during those bad winter weather weekends. So it should have well more than enough to handle the shuttles. And your being happy that 77th is all NF comes at the expense of other areas being overwhelmed by 12 to 14 year old Novas, especially when it comes to FG which is completely run with Novas now. I doubt those folks riding in those areas appreciate being stuck with all the old buses.

Until today, there were about 22 Novas still at 77th: 6428-6447 & 6468-6469. (6470 is still MIA). It's probably safe to assume that they've found a new home at Chicago Ave. However, no Chicago Ave. Novas seem to be operating today. In the meantime, it looks as if 1041-1042 and 1329-1331 are the only pre-1430 NFs still there. (Not sure about 1043-1044).

Some Chicago Ave. Novas did hit the street earlier today, including transplants 6434, 6435, & 6444. (Still no sign of 1043-1044).

Well this is worth taking some shots of #6031 at Kedzie. I think it will become another work bus but that's undetermined. Consider it a special bus because it still have it's numbers and some old ads about 6-8 years old.

I would doubt it, considering the Flxibles have been out of service for at least 4 years by now and that there are already a couple of 6400s recently converted as work buses.

I doubt that be the case. Weekend service for North Park routes aren't high enough for North Park to need to borrow artics from Kedzie to operate Blue Line shuttles as evidenced by North Park being able to operate its routes with no use of artics during those bad winter weather weekends. So it should have well more than enough to handle the shuttles. And your being happy that 77th is all NF comes at the expense of other areas being overwhelmed by 12 to 14 year old Novas, especially when it comes to FG which is completely run with Novas now. I doubt those folks riding in those areas appreciate being stuck with all the old buses.

Although the Novas are the oldest buses in the fleet I'm sure those people don't really care about that as long as that bus is getting them to where they trying to go. I'm also sure the Novas aren't breaking down left and right so I think it's cool for now considering the 7900's are rolling in which FG will get a good share of them.

I'd be surprised if they got more #7900's than the average garage. somewhere between 100-150. It looks like the plan is that fg will lose the first year novas by trade, because the way CTA has it setup now with three garages of #6400's, they would have to bounce between garages to replace that. Most likely the lowest Nova garage would have to accept more #7900's than they really need in order to trade some buses, that would be Chicago. Fg then if it got some trade NF's, wouldn't need buses until the next option started. It will be interesting though if Chicago and 74th will go even odd or it will just be one garage at a time getting the #7900's.

Although the Novas are the oldest buses in the fleet I'm sure those people don't really care about that as long as that bus is getting them to where they trying to go. I'm also sure the Novas aren't breaking down left and right so I think it's cool for now considering the 7900's are rolling in which FG will get a good share of them.

From what BusHunter has been saying about the negative feedback on CTA's Facebook page about the current FG setup (yeah I know :lol: ) and how the NW side is being singled out for the junk with CTA5750 leading that charge, some folks might care more than you think.

From what BusHunter has been saying about the negative feedback on CTA's Facebook page about the current FG setup (yeah I know :lol: ) and how the NW side is being singled out for the junk with CTA5750 leading that charge, some folks might care more than you think.

Then, I suppose they can move to 63rd and Ashland. :blink: Or even Addison and Ashland. :D

Then, I suppose they can move to 63rd and Ashland. :blink: Or even Addison and Ashland. :D

Right. I've been saying like others that the NW isn't being served in some impenetrable bubble, but........ :P Just look at how 74th deploys buses on weekdays and you'll notice that the 44, 48 and 94 are often lucky to see two NFs on route. Heck the 48 has almost always seen none for months and that was before 74th lost some NFs to 77th.

Maybe.. 4339 & 4340 are being used for Blue Line Shuttle out of NP. Although NP has an abundance of artics, they may be used for that specifically, and I am happy that 77th gave away all of its NOVAS. Hopefully 77th remains all NF.

I think you just might have found the reason for the trade. For some reason CTA is high on making the #4300's rail shuttle buses, remember the Ryan construction how they basically had 85 percent of the buses being used in that service, more if you figure the #R22. Buses were strategically placed just for that purpose. If you figure that if they use the Kedzie #4300's from Kedzie for NP runs they could use transplanted #4300's. I think the fact that they are loaded with seats makes this idea attractive. I'll have to take notice when I go over there.