More Bus Moves

sw4400

I wouldn't count out 77th quite yet. if the novas were transferred for safety as Andre alleges, then 77th could easily ship back some NF's to FG in trade for #7900's. If chicago or 74th did that then they would easily become 3/4 Nova. The only other option is make FG all #7900. This would battle test the shields. It seems to make better sense to me.

If 77th were added into the mix, why would Chicago need to be 3/4 Novas or FG need be all Novas as the only logical options? Provided they exercise the option for the extra 150 40-footers as well as decide that they need to move some NFs back out of 77th when it would already be stocked with all shield equipped buses as it now is, it would make more sense to have a more even split among those four garages which comes out to 112 to 113 buses per garage.

This is the last weekday in service on the #76 of Chicago garage equipment and seeing that they only run artics in the morning, I went out and got us some pictures of the last artic run on the #76.

attachicon.gif76 artic left side.png

attachicon.gif76 artic arrives.png

attachicon.gif76 curved at nea terminaloutside.png

attachicon.gif76 curved at neva terminal.png

attachicon.gif76 artic rear.png

attachicon.gif76 artic front.png

attachicon.gif76 artic fronthalf.png

attachicon.gifolder artic on the 76.png

Were the first few shots taken at the Diversey/Neva terminal?

Yes it is.

Ok. Apparently that particular artic run operated on a deadhead from the garage to Harlem and up Harlem to Diversey into the terminal. I asked because Bustracker shows the terminal being on the north side of the street with buses typically make a right turn into it while his photo showed the bus turning left into the terminal.

Ok. Apparently that particular artic run operated on a deadhead from the garage to Harlem and up Harlem to Diversey into the terminal. I asked because Bustracker shows the terminal being on the north side of the street with buses typically make a right turn into it while his photo showed the bus turning left into the terminal.

Here's a better shot of it from Google Maps. I think BusHunter may have a better clarification about that.

post-1364-0-74316100-1396043256_thumb.jp

Here's a better shot of it from Google Maps. I think BusHunter may have a better clarification about that.

No need lol...I had already checked Google Maps and recognized the same restaurant that was to the left of 4396 from BusHunter's first two shots. That and already having an idea of the terminal's location from BusTracker is where my hypothesis of the deadhead came from. :lol:

• Upvote 1

No need lol...I had already checked Google Maps and recognized the same restaurant that was to the left of 4396 from BusHunter's first two shots. That and already having an idea of the terminal's location from BusTracker is where my hypothesis of the deadhead came from. :lol:

Lol ok. :D

Just rode bus 4095 on the J14 and noticed it is equipped with a screen on the ceiling of the front half of the bus. The screen did not have any information on it except it mentioned upcoming connections. That is, I don't think the data was programmed into it yet. The screen reminded me of the train tracker screens at rail stations except it was all white. I wonder if more buses will be equipped with this.

Just rode bus 4095 on the J14 and noticed it is equipped with a screen on the ceiling of the front half of the bus. The screen did not have any information on it except it mentioned upcoming connections. That is, I don't think the data was programmed into it yet. The screen reminded me of the train tracker screens at rail stations except it was all white. I wonder if more buses will be equipped with this.

That's what is supposed to be added to the Jump buses according to the literature. Also, the proposal had something like

"79th St. 2 minutes

79 EB to Lakefront 5 minutes

79 WB to Ford City 3 minutes"

So, it that is what it said, that's what it is,

Well this is worth taking some shots of #6031 at Kedzie. I think it will become another work bus but that's undetermined. Consider it a special bus because it still have it's numbers and some old ads about 6-8 years old.

Well I'll be, #6031 is still around after all these years and it looks good to. hmmmmmm I wonder if it still sounds good on the inside after its long long hiatus from service.

Besides the bowling alley seats on one of the 3200s (I've forgot which number it was), have anybody realized there's is a seating difference between #3299 (39 seats) and #3300 (45 seats)?

Courtesy of my photos from my iPhone 4S.

I never noticed that until seeing your pictures. Every time I board a 3200-series train, the seating arrangement is always like what's shown in 3299 regardless of the individual car. 3300's seating arrangement looks like that found on the 2600s.

More additions at Forest Glen #6558 and #6553 are on the #152. I wonder if this means they got the bus with hardly any seats again, #6552?

A quick glance shows #6552 is on the #90. #6569, #6567 - #6552 so far shows up as being at Forest Glen.

To support your observation, I saw 6562, 6564 and 6565 on #56 this morning.

I never noticed that until seeing your pictures. Every time I board a 3200-series train, the seating arrangement is always like what's shown in 3299 regardless of the individual car. 3300's seating arrangement looks like that found on the 2600s.

Yeah tell me about it! I wonder why they couldn't have that seating arrangement like that or at least the arrangement similar to the 7000s (if that's official)?

Yeah tell me about it! I wonder why they couldn't have that seating arrangement like that or at least the arrangement similar to the 7000s (if that's official)?

The 7000's won't be like the 5000's in seating arrangement. If they'll mirror the 3200's remains to be seen(but we're still several years from a prototype even being built). We don't even have a manufacturer yet(Bombardier is the rumored front runner). I would look for an almost identical exterior to the 5000's and 3200's if Bombardier gets the nod again... if another manufacturer gets the bid, it might look different. I was surprised that Bombardier made a 3200-Series knock-off(I guess the CTA took a photo of a 3200-Series railcar with them and told them how they would like the railcars to look).

Besides the bowling alley seats on one of the 3200s (I've forgot which number it was), have anybody realized there's is a seating difference between #3299 (39 seats) and #3300 (45 seats)?

Courtesy of my photos from my iPhone 4S.

Not sure why they were modified, but car 3300 sure stands out with the curvy poles.

A picture on chicagol.org shows that car 3400 has a similar setup.

There's also info on the longitudinal seats on 3407-3408 on the same site, to answer the car # question.

If 77th were added into the mix, why would Chicago need to be 3/4 Novas or FG need be all Novas as the only logical options? Provided they exercise the option for the extra 150 40-footers as well as decide that they need to move some NFs back out of 77th when it would already be stocked with all shield equipped buses as it now is, it would make more sense to have a more even split among those four garages which comes out to 112 to 113 buses per garage.

Jajuan, if you do the math, Chicago has 82 novas now. If Chicago transferred 91 NF's to FG to mothball the first year novas at FG then Chicago would have 173 #7900 novas. They only have a fleet like Fg of around 255. Same for 74th, 137 buses plus 91 equals a possible 228 #7900 novas there or 3/4 of there fleet also. Or let Fg receive half the #7900 order or more logically ship 91 NF's back to Fg from 77th and get some battle shields for 77th if they are having safety issues. The last option is what I see happening, then then don't have to touch FG until the next Nova bus option and they could do a more even split of new buses.

Not sure why they were modified, but car 3300 sure stands out with the curvy poles.

A picture on chicagol.org shows that car 3400 has a similar setup.

If you compare Garmon's pictures of 3299 and 3300, the curved poles (stanchions) are curved because the ceiling mount is where the poles would come up from the single seat, but there is a double seat there instead.

However, it still isn't clear why double seats were substituted for single. I thought it had to do with the "max capacity" cars and converting them back to regular seating, but the numbers don't seem to match (YouTube showing 3325, but there were others).

Anyway, the 3400 description in the gallery section of chicago-l.org does say that "two cars have had their single seats removed and replaced with standard double seats, making the car all two-person seating and increasing the seating capacity by four persons (but lowering the standing capacity). As a result, these cars feature stanchions that curve at the top so that they hook into the existing sockets in the ceiling that are positioned for bar that would typically arise from a narrower single seat."

The 7000's won't be like the 5000's in seating arrangement. If they'll mirror the 3200's remains to be seen(but we're still several years from a prototype even being built). We don't even have a manufacturer yet(Bombardier is the rumored front runner). I would look for an almost identical exterior to the 5000's and 3200's if Bombardier gets the nod again... if another manufacturer gets the bid, it might look different. I was surprised that Bombardier made a 3200-Series knock-off(I guess the CTA took a photo of a 3200-Series railcar with them and told them how they would like the railcars to look).

Yeah I know. It may been to soon to figure out which manufacturer will be placed on the 7000s but I prefer not Bombardier. Such strong words about the 5000s being the 3200s knockoff though LOL :P

If you compare Garmon's pictures of 3299 and 3300, the curved poles (stanchions) are curved because the ceiling mount is where the poles would come up from the single seat, but there is a double seat there instead.

However, it still isn't clear why double seats were substituted for single. I thought it had to do with the "max capacity" cars and converting them back to regular seating, but the numbers don't seem to match (YouTube showing 3325, but there were others).

Anyway, the 3400 description in the gallery section of chicago-l.org does say that "two cars have had their single seats removed and replaced with standard double seats, making the car all two-person seating and increasing the seating capacity by four persons (but lowering the standing capacity). As a result, these cars feature stanchions that curve at the top so that they hook into the existing sockets in the ceiling that are positioned for bar that would typically arise from a narrower single seat."

Maybe because ridership increased after the Brown Line converted to 8 cars or a test car. Other than that, it's somewhat a mystery to figure out.

I'm trying to piece it together chronologically. The photo was taken in 2005, but I'm not sure when the Max Capacity cars were introduced, or converted back to regular cars. I thought they made their debut in 2008 for some reason. If that's true, I feel like the Max Capacity cars and the double seat cars aren't really related. I might be missing something...

I'm trying to piece it together chronologically. The photo was taken in 2005, but I'm not sure when the Max Capacity cars were introduced, or converted back to regular cars. I thought they made their debut in 2008 for some reason. If that's true, I feel like the Max Capacity cars and the double seat cars aren't really related. I might be missing something...

Doing the search, ABC7 had Huberman, so your time frame is about right.

I also seem to remember that it had to do with 3 Track, which lasted through that time. Near the end of 3 Track, they started running 8 car trains, and after that ramped up the Brownages.