More Bus Moves

sw4400

Since the CTA emphasizes use of 4300 for shuttles I would look for C, 77th and 103rd to send extra 4300's to North Park in exchange for 1000's/4100-4200's when the big shut downs occur, I would look for this set up until the work at least the completion of the Blue Line work.

I'd look for those few random Novas that found their way on North Park routes today to find their way back to Forest Glen after those artics and NF 1000s spotted parked at Forest Glen, and are presumably NP buses, make their way back to NP. And I'd look for that to happen because Forest Glen doesn't have the hoists to accommodate CTA's current artics.

I know they are/will be working on the hoists at FG for artics, which would make sense because of some of the high volume routes that use/could use them. What I don't get is why they are there currently? Unless sometime in 2014, some artics will be going to FG and they just want to let some Operators get a feel for them, perhaps?

I was thinking this was going to be about the 59th Street junction, but I guess not.

Both Orange and Pink Line trains have transponders that differentiate them from Green Line trains. Info

I remembered back in 1997 I was on the Orange Line with my family heading to Clark/Lake during evening rush hour and I've spotted a Linden bound Purple Line train on the southbound Orange/Green Line tracks near the former "S" curve between Congress and Harrison. I was like how in the world that happened.

That junction is a bit more complicated. I'm hoping it was a faulty roll sign.

I'd post more, but with my laptop crashing and dropping the Wifi, I'll stick to this much... <_<

I was thinking this was going to be about the 59th Street junction, but I guess not.

Both Orange and Pink Line trains have transponders that differentiate them from Green Line trains. Info

That junction is a bit more complicated. I'm hoping it was a faulty roll sign.

I'd post more, but with my laptop crashing and dropping the Wifi, I'll stick to this much... <_<

No it wasn't a faulty sign because that Purple Line cars were in the high 2500s and plus it was super packed around 6:30pm.

No it wasn't a faulty sign because that Purple Line cars were in the high 2500s and plus it was super packed around 6:30pm.

Oh yeah, the Purple Line used a lot of 2400s back then I think.

*At least they did when I boarded the Purple Line a few times in the early 2000s. Don't count on it though. I've only been on the Purple Line like three times.

Oh yeah, the Purple Line used a lot of 2400s back then I think.

*At least they did when I boarded the Purple Line a few times in the early 2000s. Don't count on it though. I've only been on the Purple Line like three times.

I've started taking the Purple Line back in 2006.

I only think a handful of Novas have the shields(in the later 6800 range). Obviously 6863 is one of them... I don't know if #6876-6883 at 74th have them or not, or if 6860-6862,6864-6875 have them. I think the reason they didn't complete the rest of the Novas was because the design of the interior would block the seats behind the driver from being used, especially if the Operator didn't opt to use the shield. It doesn't affect the passengers on the New Flyers, though it might affect the passenger sitting behind the driver on the 7900's(although there is speculation that the bus has a sensor that will prohibit the bus from being driven if the operator doesn't close and secure the door).

Personally the way sensors fail on equipment, I think this would be a major design flaw on either CTA's or Nova's part if it's a requirement to close that door to move the bus. How many drive with a "Check Engine" light on their car simply because of a faulty sensor? Can you imagine an Operator of a 7900-Series Nova closing the security door, putting his/her bus in "D" and stepping on the accelerator only to have the bus refuse to move, and when he/she checks the dash panel it says "Secure Door Panel". So the driver opens and closes the door again only to see the notice stay up, even on shutdown and restart of the bus. The bus is now disabled until maintenance comes out because the sensor doesn't recognize the door is secure and will not allow the bus to move.

I know they are/will be working on the hoists at FG for artics, which would make sense because of some of the high volume routes that use/could use them. What I don't get is why they are there currently? Unless sometime in 2014, some artics will be going to FG and they just want to let some Operators get a feel for them, perhaps?

Based on what CTA5750 and others have said, FG can't fit very many artics on property in its current setup even if did get the new hoists. And on that note, I thought Busjack mentioned that FG wasn't included in the garage remodel contract meaning FG getting the hoist becomes unlikely.

As I was pulling up at 47th and lake park from downtown on the 28, I saw bus 1248 which is a 103rd bus heading northbound as a 2 obviously a loaner but still worthy of it being mentioned lol.

Actually Andre mentioned that 1248-1252 from 103rd got transferred to 77th. So I don't think that was a loaner.

I rode it twice in elementary school. Once just for the heck of it, and the other time I had a day off and my dad had to do something at Northwestern University. Since then I've only been on the Purple Line tracks on charter trains.

And I thought I was the only one that does that after school. I did that a lot when I was in high school. I took route 310 from Hillside to 330 in Bellwood, 330 to O'hare Kiss 'N' Fly for 250, 250 to Davis Street Purple Line, Purple Line to Clark/Lake for the Blue Line, Blue Line to Forest Park, and 17/317, 303, or 310 to get home.
  • Upvote 2

@garmon: while I was at Western/brown line I saw three fg novas on np routes two on the #49b and one on the #49. I was like what the hell!!

attachicon.gifnovas on 49bd.png

attachicon.gifnovas on 49bc.png

attachicon.gifnovas on 49b.png

For those who thought they got rid of the shields at fg, check out this nova's shield.

attachicon.gifshield on 6863.png

Tell me about it!!! Who would've thought that North Park get some of them as their picks??? This is worse than a fantasy draft!!! Lol :p

I only think a handful of Novas have the shields(in the later 6800 range). Obviously 6863 is one of them... I don't know if #6876-6883 at 74th have them or not, or if 6860-6862,6864-6875 have them. I think the reason they didn't complete the rest of the Novas was because the design of the interior would block the seats behind the driver from being used, especially if the Operator didn't opt to use the shield. It doesn't affect the passengers on the New Flyers, though it might affect the passenger sitting behind the driver on the 7900's(although there is speculation that the bus has a sensor that will prohibit the bus from being driven if the operator doesn't close and secure the door).

Personally the way sensors fail on equipment, I think this would be a major design flaw on either CTA's or Nova's part if it's a requirement to close that door to move the bus. How many drive with a "Check Engine" light on their car simply because of a faulty sensor? Can you imagine an Operator of a 7900-Series Nova closing the security door, putting his/her bus in "D" and stepping on the accelerator only to have the bus refuse to move, and when he/she checks the dash panel it says "Secure Door Panel". So the driver opens and closes the door again only to see the notice stay up, even on shutdown and restart of the bus. The bus is now disabled until maintenance comes out because the sensor doesn't recognize the door is secure and will not allow the bus to move.

6876-83 doesn't have them but that's really interesting though.

You know what I'm going to miss the most? Buses with flip-dot signs. Nova buses #6400-6708 are the last buses with the green flip-dot signs that were on CTA buses starting with the Flxibles and RTS buses that were delivered in 1991. I was born 4 years later, when the 6000s Flxibles and 5800s New Flyers (CTA's first New Flyer order) arrived.

Long story short, I do like LED-lighted buses, but I love flip-dot buses more. It will be sad when the first set of 6400s (6400-6708)

are completely retired. :(

1162-1165 K to 7

1248-1252 03 to 7

1332-1334 K to C

1348-1350 K to C

1420-1429 P to C

6551-6567 C to F

6569-6573 C to F

6594-6596 C to F

Andre now at FG (21808)

I seem to remember seeing 6550s operating from FG over the past few days. But 6553 & 6556-6559 are once again appearing on Chicago Ave. routes as of the Tuesday, April 1st PM rush. (Nope, it's not an April Fool's joke. They're showing up on BusTracker).

You know what I'm going to miss the most? Buses with flip-dot signs. Nova buses #6400-6708 are the last buses with the green flip-dot signs that were on CTA buses starting with the Flxibles and RTS buses that were delivered in 1991. I was born 4 years later, when the 6000s Flxibles and 5800s New Flyers (CTA's first New Flyer order) arrived.

Long story short, I do like LED-lighted buses, but I love flip-dot buses more. It will be sad when the first set of 6400s (6400-6708)

Yeah they will be missed,But I wonder why there isnt many green LED Signs across the country on buses.

I seem to remember seeing 6550s operating from FG over the past few days. But 6553 & 6556-6559 are once again appearing on Chicago Ave. routes as of the Tuesday, April 1st PM rush. (Nope, it's not an April Fool's joke. They're showing up on BusTracker).

Strange. I rode #6555 on the Foster route yesterday morning.

@garmon: while I was at Western/brown line I saw three fg novas on np routes two on the #49b and one on the #49. I was like what the hell!!

attachicon.gifnovas on 49bd.png

attachicon.gifnovas on 49bc.png

attachicon.gifnovas on 49b.png

For those who thought they got rid of the shields at fg, check out this nova's shield.

attachicon.gifshield on 6863.png

Well 6808 is back at Forest Glen. I mentioned in another thread that I rode it on the 84 during the last part of morning earlier today. So as I was getting at yesterday, it and those other Novas were loans yesterday. As for the "shield" on 6863, does it actually extend enough to block a punch from a young punk or some weirdo who's had too much to drink. Most folks are right handed, and that picture looks like all that will be blocked is a blow from a left hander.

Yeah they will be missed,But I wonder why there isnt many green LED Signs across the country on buses.

Correction you guys, green flip dot destination signs on CTA buses began with CTA's MAN Americanas.