More Bus Moves

sw4400

Hmm interesting. If Np is getting #4300's from Chicago I wonder if Chicago could be getting a few pre #4377 buses from 77th or are they just taking a loss or gained some #6600's, thinking of #6608 on #54B lately. I noticed the #66 yesterday had 40 footers on it. Man those 40 foot buses do not belong on that route, that bus was packed and so was it's follower which was also 40 foot. I noticed on the return trip an artic led the pack out from Navy Pier.

Well I just happened to be in the neighborhood of Loyola yesterday and saw #4344 was coming so I snapped some pics of it.

attachicon.gifcta 4344howard.png

attachicon.gifcta 4344.png

They only run one 1000-series bus on the Chicago Ave. during weekdays and somewhere between 2-4 on Sundays. I just wish they did the same on the #12 route.

Saw an out of service New Flyer artic heading north on Lincoln earlier this evening around 7-7:30-ish. I couldn't tell if it was a DE60LF or a D60LFR, but it was definitely headed for North Park. I want to say the interior had a bluish tint with the LED lighting, but I am colorblind, but it didn't look white, I'm sure of that.

Well that's interesting. I haven't been keeping up with the roster because of me dealing with the flu for almost a week.

Yeah as of this past weekend North Park now has maybe 8 to 10 more 4300 series artic diesels to add to the 8 it already got from Kedzie. 77th traded 4341-4345 for 4203-4207 and Chicago got 4118-4122 (I thought 4117 was already assigned to Chicago) it seems for a like number sent to North Park off the higher end of its 4300s roster. We haven't pinned down all of what NP got from Chicago though. The only two we've been able to confirm so far are 4395 and 4396, both of which were on 147 yesterday.

Yeah as of this past weekend North Park now has maybe 8 to 10 more 4300 series artic diesels to add to the 8 it already got from Kedzie. 77th traded 4341-4345 for 4203-4207 and Chicago got 4118-4122 (I thought 4117 was already assigned to Chicago) it seems for a like number sent to North Park off the higher end of its 4300s roster. We haven't pinned down all of what NP got from Chicago though. The only two we've been able to confirm so far are 4395 and 4396, both of which were on 147 yesterday.

Until this weekend, 4117 was a NP unit. 4123 is operating on Chicago Ave. this afternoon, so it looks as if the swap may have involved seven pairs (assuming it was a 7-for-7 trade). 4124 wasn't moved; 4392 is the highest-numbered artic showing up on a C route.

Guest ctafan630

Does the CTA have a policy on buses making a right hand turn from the center lane instead of making it from the right lane?

There is one stop in the loop where the buses always make the right turn from the center lane. Overheard the driver saying they can not make the right turn from the right lane with an artic. On several ocassions, the driver completely misses the people standing at the stop to board. If the bus stop is in a bad location why even bother having the stop there.

Does the CTA have a policy on buses making a right hand turn from the center lane instead of making it from the right lane?

There is one stop in the loop where the buses always make the right turn from the center lane. Overheard the driver saying they can not make the right turn from the right lane with an artic. On several ocassions, the driver completely misses the people standing at the stop to board. If the bus stop is in a bad location why even bother having the stop there.

I don't know, but I was on #804 (on the Blue Island/26th route) and the driver stopped at Madison/Clinton (which they normally don't). Then the driver made the left turn from the FAR RIGHT side of Madison.

So what, Devon's a FG (Forest Glen) route now?

That was a loan on the 155. You're going to likely see a lot of loans being done with 6400 series Novas since most of these will be retired within a year, completely retired if cTA exercises that option to get the other 150, and CTA has some extras that they don't seem to know what to really do with. As for the 7900s, when those go into service the more likely effect will be the worst of the worst out of the current Nova model getting retired before there's any further major shuffling of 40 foot buses. Even though I still don't believe the removal of Novas from 77th garage had nothing to do with the preparation for the 7900s, that particular shakeup in 40 foot assignments still negates any need to do another big one of that degree any time soon.

Well folks if the Blue Line work wasn't enough for you, get ready for work on the Orange Line right along with it for the next five weekends starting Friday night. In that work, the Orange Line will be closed between Roosevelt and Halsted stations to replace worn ties as well as repaint and waterproof that section. Bus shuttles will be in place during the closures. So between this weekend and early June, bus shuttles will be doing even more duty than they already were with the Blue Line weekend closures. I wonder whether this also had a play in the most recent trades of 4300s to North Park for 4000s.

I'm still seeing #4394-93 at Chicago. Unless they are still coming over.

They would have to if they're going to keep these even trades. Otherwise NP will be short, but at over 100 artics they wouldn't exactly hurting much on the artic front.