More Bus Moves

sw4400

More appropriate spot to talk about this than the rehab thread. The change in number of artics at 77th is close to six months old now and if you remember, I agreed with you that maybe more artics should have been used from North Park to help stock Chicago Garage. But to be equally honest, the uses you mentioned with 103rd still isn't enough to justify that garage continuing to have 90 artics with the Red Line project being over. And yeah the flap about artic uses outside of 79th is a flimsy excuse at best, taking a shot at artics being used on the 136 and 146 isn't going to change the fact that the large number of apartment highrises along those routes and so many residents of those said highrises use ride the bus on those routes justifies artic use on those two routes in some form.

Whoooooooa I never said 103rd needed 90 of course thats an excessive number.... I was talking about when they had 60 and how those addition 15 were used at the time lol. Of course with 90 there are gonna be some sitting around or running empty :lol:

Whoooooooa I never said 103rd needed 90 of course thats an excessive number.... I was talking about when they had 60 and how those addition 15 were used at the time lol. Of course with 90 there are gonna be some sitting around or running empty :lol:

Somehow they determined that the 60 count was also excessive. I was kind of surprised but looking back on it, I'm not given observing #26s and #28s going SB and still not being full when close to the start of their express when the trips were done with artics.

Well the 11 was once again the 11 Lincoln/Sedwick today and did some downtown service down Michigan Avenue as the 11 used to in the 1980s. Sort of. :lol: What actually happened was NF 1396 was operating at the time as a SB 151, but apparently its destination sign was malfunctioning or the operator flubbed his sign in on the Clever Devices because it was signed as an 11 Lincoln/Sedwick going to Howard/McCormick. I know more than a few people might have done double takes this morning, and sw4400 would have been ecstatic if by some miracle CTA restored service on the 11 south of the Western Brown Line station in some form.

• Upvote 4

im glad forest glen is getting flyers back

Hmm where are the flyers coming from and what did those garages get in return? Maybe the garages sending the flyers to FG are the ones getting the 7900's?

Am I dreaming? FG has nf's? I guess not #1786's on #81w and #1787 on #77 and #1381's on the #85. #1328's on the #152 but that might be a np extra.

Before we read too much into this, it's probably likely that all those NFs from NP were loans to FG given we're seeing these out of place buses just past midweek instead of occurring during the weekend for one and also from the fact that no one reported any Novas on NP routes. Given how busy NP routes tend to be, I highly doubt that they'd make any bus changes on a more permanent basis than being a loan that leaves NP short any buses.

Could also be the #7900's are close to arriving and they see an opportunity to scrap a few old 77th novas at fg. Maybe np doesn't need the buses with so many artics. Like I say they are going to have to do something with 80 first year novas at fg with this first order anyway. Funny buses are in numerical sequence. Maybe some more are coming over this weekend. Besides wasn't someone preaching on here saying they were running extra buses after the end of the ryan project?

I wonder if they started putting the 7900s in service, or if they're going to right now.

It's not even confirmed if more 7900's have arrived yet so far it's still just that one bus at Chicago garage. They should start rolling in soon and going in service in may as planned.

One thing that might have escaped some of us is that the order to replace the Novas is 450 buses. (w/options) Well there are 470 something #6400 Novas left, so there's a gray area there of buses they could park, in fact if they got on the ball and flattened that area of FG they were going to expand, they could easily house 20-30 spares there if they wanted to play the cautious route. They could draw off that not only for Fg but for NP too and possibly Chicago. They could even send some buses to South Shops as mechanical spares and save money on parts. That looks like what they are doing at Skokie Shops with the #2600's there. They now have a pool of parts and they are saving money.

Am I dreaming? FG has nf's? I guess not #1786's on #81w and #1787 on #77 and #1381's on the #85. #1328's on the #152 but that might be a np extra.

It would be nice to think FG is getting New Flyers at the very least again, but these might be loaners since they are from NP, which is not a garage currently looking to possibly be assigned 7900's starting in May(that should be Chicago). And even if they are new additions, they won't last long with 77th's "Gimme Gimme!!!" attitude as of late. They have some 1300's there and I'm sure wouldn't mind taking the 1700's from FG(this time for nothing). FG is going to pretty much be an all Nova garage(6400-Series) until:

• Chicago gets it's compliment of 7900's(I'm still thinking three garages of 100/ea., so 7900-7999)
  • Forest Glen gets New Flyers from another garage and 77th lays off grabbing them up
  • Forest Glen gets a mix of New Flyers and 7900's

Either of these three possibilities exist in the future for FG... be it near or distant future...

One thing that might have escaped some of us is that the order to replace the Novas is 450 buses. (w/options) ...

W/ options, correct, but it also appears that 55 of the 4300s are either to replace Novas (eventually), since I don't think CTA is going to keep that many spares on the roster, at least once the rehabs start winding down. (Again, I am assuming that 45 indirectly replaced the Optimas).

It goes back to the original theory that the 100 4300s, plus some sliding scale of 40 and 60 foot buses adding up to 450 were supposed to replace the Novas and Optimas. One could probably read into the statement in the budget that 50 artics may be ordered in 2014 what one wants, and, of course, the price quote for BRTs, which will be good for 5 years (subject to an inflation adjustment) once that contract is awarded.

BTW, aren't the 500 Olympics DE40LFs (out of an order of 900) supposed to start showing up by now? :lol: