More Bus Moves

sw4400

I was assuming even swaps as well, but I guess there have been exceptions. If my memory serves me, the recent artic trade between K and NP resulted in an extra artic for K: 4333-4340 to NP (8) in exchange for 4043-4051 to K (9). So maybe last weekend's Dance of the Artics between C and NP could have been unbalanced too. (4395-4399 to NP [5] for 4117-4123 [7]).

Meanwhile, another NP-77th St. artic swap next weekend wouldn't surprise me. (4190-4202 for 4346-4358? That would leave 77th with a split inventory of artics: 18 4000s & 18 4300s). Just a guess.

You guys remember the 7500-series NABI Articulated buses that CTA put out 11 years ago, then 5 years ago retired them because of cracks in the middle part? Well, I saw one on a tow truck at Blue Island and Damen.

As mentioned before, probably heading for some Sims Metal Management facility around 25th and Wood or Paulina.

Found an interesting issue at the Pulaski Irving Park blue line entrance. The east side stairway has no farecard rotogate. Why? All other entrances do that I know of and if they don't, like Montrose/Blue they have access to a fare area. So a NB #53 commuter has to cross Pulaski in a dark viaduct and cross a heavily traveled street with blind spots and an occasional greeting from up above from the birds!! Whoa!! This makes Addison/Blue line's street crossing look safe.

I just want to know why the unnecessary tagging??? :(

Is there necessary tagging?

The real question is how the trespassers got on the property unnoticed.

Actually, though, if that bus is scrap, the paint job looks better than the standard "Scrap" and "Defueled."

• Upvote 1

Just my thought: maybe North Park should have all the clean diesel artics.

The would mean that a TIGER grant to provide 80 outlets at North Park to help recharge the batteries would have been worthless.*

What makes less sense is sending any diesel buses to NP, although there is also the budget item that 33 of the 67 diesels are to be converted to hybrids.

________

*Mentioned around the forums, but the only official reference I could find at the moment is here (4th bullet item under Buses)

Is there necessary tagging?

The real question is how the trespassers got on the property unnoticed.

Actually, though, if that bus is scrap, the paint job looks better than the standard "Scrap" and "Defueled."

I have to give it to you about the paint job because that was humorous but I don't know which garage they originally keep them at.... That's like saying taggers: 1, CTA: Zero.... It's just really overkill and outdated for people that really have too much time on their hands to be doing that.

The would mean that a TIGER grant to provide 80 outlets at North Park to help recharge the batteries would have been worthless.*

What makes less sense is sending any diesel buses to NP, although there is also the budget item that 33 of the 67 diesels are to be converted to hybrids.

________

*Mentioned around the forums, but the only official reference I could find at the moment is here (4th bullet item under Buses)

First time I heard of any diesels getting turned into hybrids.

I have to give it to you about the paint job because that was humorous but I don't know which garage they originally keep them at.... That's like saying taggers: 1, CTA: Zero.... It's just really overkill and outdated for people that really have too much time on their hands to be doing that.

I think those two buses were the Fresh Moves buses. I saw them parked about where your picture was taken. Also add the fact that near the top of the one bus reads "Open to the Public."

________

At the same time, do Chicago and 77th Garages have battery-recharging outlets for the hybrids?

I think those two buses were the Fresh Moves buses. I saw them parked about where your picture was taken. Also add the fact that near the top of the one bus reads "Open to the Public."

In which you're indeed correct. I saw one of them park in front of an elementary school by Central/Augusta about 3 years ago. I just wondering, do taggers really hate CTA?

At the same time, do Chicago and 77th Garages have battery-recharging outlets for the hybrids?

They would have to have something given 4000s were assigned to 77th back in 2008 when the NABIs got pulled and Chicago has had 4000s along with 4300s since December.

They would have to have something given 4000s were assigned to 77th back in 2008 when the NABIs got pulled and Chicago has had 4000s along with 4300s since December.

Essentially, they wouldn't. As noted in the link, the outlets were basically to keep the batteries topped off during winter, so the buses would start without idling. Not a concern if they are stored inside.

There was a discussion a while back about some article that mentioned charging through a recharging station to balance the batteries, but the response then was that it basically wasn't necessary because the engines and regenerative braking kept them charged.

But, basically, replacing hybrids with diesel buses gets back to having to run the preheaters all night, as opposed to what is supposed to be the more environmentally friendly option of using electricity.

I had assumed this was at South Shops and the tagging was done there.

You can confirm if my first assumption was false, and I suppose they could have been tagged where Fresh Moves was storing them. In that the blue mark on the tire doesn't match the painting on the bus, maybe they were moved after they were tagged.

Essentially, they wouldn't. As noted in the link, the outlets were basically to keep the batteries topped off during winter, so the buses would start without idling. Not a concern if they are stored inside.

There was a discussion a while back about some article that mentioned charging through a recharging station to balance the batteries, but the response then was that it basically wasn't necessary because the engines and regenerative braking kept them charged.

But, basically, replacing hybrids with diesel buses gets back to having to run the preheaters all night, as opposed to what is supposed to be the more environmentally friendly option of using electricity.

Ok forgot about the regenerative braking. But given they only replaced between 20 out of approximately 120 for diesels (which from everyone's sightings and counts were uneven trades with more hybrids leaving than diesels that came in), I don't think the charging stations are going to waste just yet. Is 80 charging units the total number they have at North Park? If it is they can still spare a minimum of about 20 more hybrids.

I suspect what this REALLY means is that originally the 4300's were supposed to all be straight diesels, but at some point it was decided to have 33 hybrids and 67 diesels, which is what actually happened, as opposed to converting existing buses.

I suspect what this REALLY means is that originally the 4300's were supposed to all be straight diesels, but at some point it was decided to have 33 hybrids and 67 diesels, which is what actually happened, as opposed to converting existing buses.

But it says convert 33 of the 67 diesels so that statement works against it seeing as it was 100 buses in all which 33 were already hybrids. Plus this order was picked up from what Seattle didnt end up wanting and I think the order was as it came in when CTA took over contract.

... But given they only replaced between 20 out of approximately 120 for diesels (which from everyone's sightings and counts were uneven trades with more hybrids leaving than diesels that came in), I don't think the charging stations are going to waste just yet. Is 80 charging units the total number they have at North Park? If it is they can still spare a minimum of about 20 more hybrids.

My comment was only in response to this one that in someone's opinion NP should have all the diesels. However, based on your math, 67 wouldn't take care of the need for 120 buses, and would leave 13 outlets unused.

Again, that is UNTRUE. You can search the forum or Durbin's site* for the grant of $30 million for 33 hybrids.

The more likely explanation is that since the Construction Reports for the 3 projects (Red Line track, Red Line stations, and Green Line) were about $100 million short of the $425 million said to have been spent on the job, maybe what state bond money that was left barely covered the 67 diesel buses.

_________

* I did it for you this time, but keep abreast.

I had assumed this was at South Shops and the tagging was done there.

You can confirm if my first assumption was false, and I suppose they could have been tagged where Fresh Moves was storing them. In that the blue mark on the tire doesn't match the painting on the bus, maybe they were moved after they were tagged.

Yeah it's going to be mysterious of when and where it happened at but indeed the blue mark doesn't match the painting in which that's very interesting. I haven't seen any other bus nor equipment being tagged at the South Shop though. So I think it had to

happened where they were stored at. My only question is, why are they out here for?