More Bus Moves

sw4400

...My only question is, why are they out here for?

That supposition was discussed before. The grants for Fresh Moves ran out, so apparently the buses were returned to CTA. Either someone thinks CTA will store them until Fresh Moves can get back on its feet (unlikely), or they are next going to the scrapper.

That supposition was discussed before. The grants for Fresh Moves ran out, so apparently the buses were returned to CTA. Either someone thinks CTA will store them until Fresh Moves can get back on its feet (unlikely), or they are next going to the scrapper.

Well, if they are in the position of being scrapped then I'm glad they were in use for that program but this state is in a downward spiral when it comes to funding. It wouldn't be fair to only blame Emanuel for failing to keep this program alive.

I think those two buses were the Fresh Moves buses. I saw them parked about where your picture was taken. Also add the fact that near the top of the one bus reads "Open to the Public."

If my memory serves correctly, they were NOT tagged when I saw them on 79th, but there were other buses around them too. I don't know when your pic was taken, but I saw them last Sunday, April 13th around 2:30 p.m.

Well, if they are in the position of being scrapped then I'm glad they were in use for that program but this state is in a downward spiral when it comes to funding. It wouldn't be fair to only blame Emanuel for failing to keep this program alive.

Question there was federal funding. While Emanuel seems to take the credit for everything (unless Quinn does), state or city money doesn't seem involved.

The question basically comes down to whether the ethnic produce markets, including the ones taking over Dominick's locations, could survive with a operating margin of negative 73%.

Well call me crazy but one of those Flx`s needs a home other than the scrapyard. I mean they've made it this far after retirement and they need to be restored and taken care of like they should be taken of.

You willing to do it? For instance, if CHBM still exists, it doesn't have the funds.

Besides that, is a bus that has had its interior gutted and replaced with grocery racks a collector's item?

This morning I was ride #146 go to Downtown and go home and this young lady with a bike got on Marine Drive and Leland and her bike on the bike rack by the time we near Wilson the bus hit the pothole and her bike came off the bike rack and the bus hit it and damage the bike. This is first time that happened and luck the bus was not on Lake Shore Drive when it happened.

....This is first time that happened ...

I find that kind of surprising; I would think it would be a fairly frequent occurrence.

I wonder if there is a disclaimer of liability on some sticker near the rack, or CTA is going to have to buy her a new bike?

This morning I was ride #146 go to Downtown and go home and this young lady with a bike got on Marine Drive and Leland and her bike on the bike rack by the time we near Wilson the bus hit the pothole and her bike came off the bike rack and the bus hit it and damage the bike. This is first time that happened and luck the bus was not on Lake Shore Drive when it happened.

Ouch! I've never used the bus bike racks before, but I still feel bad for her. Looking at some of the streets in Chicago, I don't think this is the first time or the last.

Yeah I see what you mean. One day they could have a big accident with these bikes falling off the racks. Maybe they should ban them on expressway runs.

As far as the Fresh Moves graffiti, isn't that bus wrapped. Remove the wrap and you will remove the graffiti. :huh::P

Question there was federal funding. While Emanuel seems to take the credit for everything (unless Quinn does), state or city money doesn't seem involved.

The question basically comes down to whether the ethnic produce markets, including the ones taking over Dominick's locations, could survive with a operating margin of negative 73%.

That can be a factor but I think there's a key piece that's missing to help answer your question.

That can be a factor but I think there's a key piece that's missing to help answer your question.

I don't know what the key piece is, but my question is essentially rhetorical, in that nobody goes into business to lose 73%, except maybe County Hospital and the CTA. There was certainly something wrong with their business model if all they got was a one time grant for a research study (according to the Tribune article) and all that research proved was that they lost a lot of money. I don't know what Tony's, Cermak, or some Fruiteria's margins are, but they probably are something like 2%, not -73%.

Maybe the key piece is what Peapod's margin is.

• Upvote 1

I don't know what the key piece is, but my question is essentially rhetorical, in that nobody goes into business to lose 73%, except maybe County Hospital and the CTA. There was certainly something wrong with their business model if all they got was a one time grant for a research study (according to the Tribune article) and all that research proved was that they lost a lot of money. I don't know what Tony's, Cermak, or some Fruiteria's margins are, but they probably are something like 2%, not -73%.

Maybe the key piece is what Peapod's margin is.

You may be on to something in which this very interesting but if there's any glimpse of hope for the program, then who can save it from getting shut down?

You may be on to something in which this very interesting but if there's any glimpse of hope for the program, then who can save it from getting shut down?

Maybe some foundation, but I doubt any is interested in a failing venture. It probably could get the job done cheaper by setting up a peddler's cart and giving the produce away.

Despite people not buying my point, I still believe that if there is a demand, someone will supply it. Apparently Whole Foods thinks it can make money at 63rd and Halsted.

You willing to do it? For instance, if CHBM still exists, it doesn't have the funds.

Besides that, is a bus that has had its interior gutted and replaced with grocery racks a collector's item?

Haha If I was old enough and had enough money I would try my hardest to get that Flx and nurse it back to mint condition or close to mint condition. I would also try to convert it into an RV or something useful.

Haha If I was old enough and enough money I would try my hardest to get that Flx and nurse it back to mint condition or close to mint condition. I would also try to convert it into an RV or something useful.

I've watched too many restos shows on Tuff TV 24.1, including one apparently based in Chicago. Nobody has that kind of money. But you can get the Fresh Moves paint media blasted by some company in South Holland.

BTW, there is one of those shows from Pasco County, Fl. scheduled to start now.

Yeah I see what you mean. One day they could have a big accident with these bikes falling off the racks. Maybe they should ban them on expressway runs.

As far as the Fresh Moves graffiti, isn't that bus wrapped. Remove the wrap and you will remove the graffiti. :huh::P

I had that happen to my bike on LSD once about 5 years ago, it happened around Wilson, the driver stopped & I repositioned it & wrapped bungees to keep it on the rack. That was before the street was repaved, but I'll never do it again on any North LSD runs until it's rebuilt like South LSD!

Yeah that would be a slap in the face.

How is that? Are you so antibusiness that a company that provides a quality product shouldn't be able to make enough money to pay its suppliers and employees? Are you engaged in a trade (you said you were) without any expectation of paying your bills?

The Fresh Moves business model proved that it did not work. I don't know how the Whole Foods business model works in Englewood when nothing else does, but it is their business to figure that out. But if you figure that only those like the guy at King Dr. and 71st are entitled to be there and give away food to you, there is no ground to complain about food deserts.

Like I have frequently noted, there is no lack of ethnic produce markets on the north side, including those willing to take over Dominick's. There once was a new Dominick's at Roosevelt and Kedzie; it went out of business way before their other 72 stores did. I still think that it is consumer attitudes that also have an effect on why basically nobody wants to set up shop on the south side other than in Bronzeville and Hyde Park.

• Upvote 2