More Bus Moves

sw4400

Some shots of a stripped New Flyer 5800s bus.

This is apparently NOT a 5800 - it is most likely the shell of a 1000, and has been there since at least 2009. The story goes that a 1000 was wrecked during delivery at South Beloit Toll Plaza on 90 and was replaced. this shell is COMPLETELY stripped, but does show wreck damage in right front corner. It would appear it was intended to be completely rebuilt, but the job was abandoned early on. South Shops is aware it is there, but nobody seems to know exactly what it is or where it came from. The only 5800 unaccounted for is 5816, and it was seen after the shell appeared.

I find it very weird seeing a Fresh Moves flxible speeding eastbound on Garfield,I wonder where it could possibly be going at this time of evening. I thought they discontinued that program late last year.

One of the Fresh Moves Flx's was 6127. There were two more, as all three were at 33rd & Pulaski in September. What the other two were is not obvious as they apparently did not come direct from CTA. Possibly the ones Fire Dept got and soon got rid of? Any ideas??

This is apparently NOT a 5800 - it is most likely the shell of a 1000, and has been there since at least 2009. The story goes that a 1000 was wrecked during delivery at South Beloit Toll Plaza on 90 and was replaced. this shell is COMPLETELY stripped, but does show wreck damage in right front corner. It would appear it was intended to be completely rebuilt, but the job was abandoned early on. South Shops is aware it is there, but nobody seems to know exactly what it is or where it came from. The only 5800 unaccounted for is 5816, and it was seen after the shell appeared.

Is that so eh??? How did you found that out??? :unsure:

If that's the case, NF should pick it up, since it is not CTA property until it is delivered and inspected FOB 7801 S. Vincennes Ave.

There is a set of 3200's with some seats removed and replaced with poles and straps... I think it was 3421-3422, but I could be wrong... it was an early 3400 set.

That gets back to the max capacity cars, discussed earlier.

Two things I saw today:

• #6462 at Michigan/Washington sporting seats that are eerily similar to 4000-series buses #4149-4207
  • An old 5800-series bus used as a fireman training bus on Taylor and Desplaines

6462 has had those seats for a good number of years, discussed previously.

There was one mention of a converted 5800-series bus (5858 to be particular) for the Chicago Fire Department back in 2010, but not much has been talked about it since.

If that's the case, NF should pick it up, since it is not CTA property until it is delivered and inspected FOB 7801 S. Vincennes Ave.

At this point, nobody at CTA seems to know anything about it except that it exists. One possible theory is that it might be either 1631 as this one did not appear in service for months after numbers before and after it. Another possibility is 1329, which also was a very (9 month) late arrival if the date in service on the 1000's in service list is correct. In any event, nobody knows what to do with it, so it just sits there.

I just saw a 6 car Blue Line train descending the ramp out of Forest Park. I double checked too as it pulled out of Harlem. Not 4 cars, not 8 cars, but six. I'm assuming it is because of the work down at the other end.

I've seen those sets all day because I rode on one to Damen.

Last time I saw six car trains on the Blue Line was when the Douglas Line (currently now the Pink LIne) was still part of the Blue Line and it and the Forest Park branch were on those weekday midday 20 minute headways during much of the 1990s.

Last time I saw six car trains on the Blue Line was when the Douglas Line (currently now the Pink LIne) was still part of the Blue Line and it and the Forest Park branch were on those weekday midday 20 minute headways during much of the 1990s.

Man, I used to hate the late night (after 10pm) headways when it comes to going to Forest Park because everytime I missed those trains I have to wait a half an hour for the next one to come because of the 54/Cermak trains comes 15 minutes after Forest Park's!!! Thank you Pink Line for putting an end to that madness!!! LOL :p

Man, I used to hate the late night (after 10pm) headways when it comes to going to Forest Park because everytime I missed those trains I have to wait a half an hour for the next one to come because of the 54/Cermak trains comes 15 minutes after Forest Park's!!! Thank you Pink Line for putting an end to that madness!!! LOL :P

I know right. And now with 54/Cermak trains no longer a part of the Blue Line, not only are owl headways every 30 mins, but the extra benefit is that only four of the overnight trips in each direction are on 30 minute headways. The rest are every 15 minutes like on the Red Line.

Anyone else knew that Forrest Claypool answers to a higher power? And I'm not talking about the CTA Board or even Mayor Emanuel(or in Busjack's case, Da Mare)... No, he answers to this man.... the King Of The CTA, riding in his trusty chariot of 5000's on the Royal Red Line

...No, he answers to this man.... the King Of The CTA, riding in his trusty chariot of 5000's on the Royal Red Line

I don't think that the real King of the CTA is black. Maybe this guy answers to the Wizard of Id. Or maybe it is Terry Peterson with delusions of grandeur.

I also wonder if the King of the CTA shops at Whole Foods, and what he* is going to do if Ed Burke bans plastic bags.

Meanwhile, Edwin Jackson has to take the L to the park.

*And the other passengers.

This ComEd road work is pissing me off! I hate that they have the west side of Harrison blocked off between Halsted and Racine.

The only silver lining in this is for the Blue Island/26th buses, since they normally use Racine to get to/from downtown.

*In case if anybody forgot, #60 buses are rerouted via Clinton, Taylor, and Racine, while #7 buses are rerouted via, Clinton, Taylor, Racine, and Harrison.

I know right. And now with 54/Cermak trains no longer a part of the Blue Line, not only are owl headways every 30 mins, but the extra benefit is that only four of the overnight trips in each direction are on 30 minute headways. The rest are every 15 minutes like on the Red Line.

You're absolutely right indeed. I think #60 plays in some part of the reason why the Douglas Branch is not a 24-hour branch. I'm surprised that #12 is not a night owl route because that can be a huge help due to the fact that there's nearly a 3 mile gap between night owl routes on the west side (#20 and #60).

This ComEd road work is pissing me off! I hate that they have the west side of Harrison blocked off between Halsted and Racine.

The only silver lining in this is for the Blue Island/26th buses, since they normally use Racine to get to/from downtown.

*In case if anybody forgot, #60 buses are rerouted via Clinton, Taylor, and Racine, while #7 buses are rerouted via, Clinton, Taylor, Racine, and Harrison.

And sadly enough that it supposed to last until September. It's really a mess over there because that's part of my bike delivery range and I'm not trying to get myself hurt getting around that bridge on Halsted by the Blue Line.

I know, it's really annoying when I'm down by UIC and I'm trying to get on the Eisenhower. Not that Halsted is any better at this point, as garmon757 said.

You're absolutely right indeed. I think #60 plays in some part of the reason why the Douglas Branch is not a 24-hour branch. I'm surprised that #12 is not a night owl route because that can be a huge help due to the fact that there's nearly a 3 mile gap between night owl routes on the west side (#20 and #60).

The 12 had owl service up until 1998, and at the time of the cut operated to State/Washington via Roosevelt, Michigan, Randolph to State if I remember the routing correctly. The cut in that owl service (and other services like the 44's former operation to Merchandise Mart) was part of some of the last round of cuts CTA made to service in the mid-1990s under the Booz-Allen proposal to restructuring service that you've seen a lot of us old enough to remember spoke about. The supposed reason behind that owl service cut was that folks were then and now could just hop on the Blue Line if they needed overnight service. That's why any thought of resurrecting that part of service has been a no go with CTA management. Of course the flaw in that thinking is one you alluded to, namely the 20 is the same distance from the Blue Line as the 12, yet still has its owl service intact. In fact, up until one or two picks ago, that owl service on the 20 included an extension to Harlem/Lake to account for the cut in the Green Line's owl service during that same time period.