More Bus Moves

sw4400

Nobody thought the Flxible 5300's would get Mr. CTA announcements, but they did.... never assume, jajuan... :P

I'm never assumed anything concrete, or did you miss my original statement that it was perhaps a POSSIBLE signal that 6607 is among a group of 74th's Novas that see their eventual time on the chopping block a bit further down the road than some others? That's pretty much all I said. I said nothing and made no inferences about any assignments of the 7900s outside of a logical guess that another garage MIGHT get 7900s before 74th, if that's the implication, since saying a group of 74th 6400s isn't the same thing as saying they'll STAY at 74th when the 7900s are finally in the delivery phase. ;) Wow some of you guys are funny with latching on to things out of context and changing the meaning. <_< :lol:

OK bringing us out of the baseball analogies and slip into regarding our elected officials with unflattering names, I boarded 6607 on the #9 Ashland and the Ventra reader has been repositioned to that found on the NFs with the help of what looks like a 4 or 5 inch long short beam to which the reader is attached. Maybe a clue that 74th's Novas will be around for a while and another garage will get 7900s before 74th. I admit I might be putting more weight on that observation than necessary, but why care about making it a little easier for riders to tap their cards on those particular Novas if they were going to head to the shredder in a fee short weeks as some 6400s still unknown undoubtedly are?

Here's a picture taken from #6844.

post-304-0-70358700-1401512378_thumb.png

I was on 6683 the other day and it had the repositioned Ventra reader. I thought this was now standard for all buses so I thought nothing out of the ordinary.

Up until at least last apparently, it was standard for all buses except 6400s.

Sleepy-head on a CTA Bus. Surprised the Bus Operator didn't say anything... probably would rather keep to him/herself unless a complaint comes up with a passenger about it...

Photo

As long as his pants didn't go any lower or a wheelchair passenger didn't board. But I doubt that the bigger Priority Seat stencils would have made a difference.

Doing a little cross-threading of topics since they both touch a bit...

Still see 1305, 1468 and 1482 remain off the list.... makes you wonder if CTA has decided to write them off rather than rehab them... 1482 has been pretty badly damaged since running into a building I believe a couple of years ago just sitting around at South Shops. I don't know the story of 1305 and 1468.

In addition to the above mentioned New Flyer D40LF's sitting around South Shops, a few others also sit with unclear futures...

901-902, 906 and 908(901, 902 and 908 status is uncertain; 906 is reported retired according to a February roster BusHunter had)

4071(I don't know why this one is not in service.... any insight?)

4323(Bus vs. Dump Truck. This was I believe in 2013. I wonder the status of this bus...)

First the seat cover was damaged (I've mentioned that a few months ago) now this??? What else people can come up with??? :huh:

Set off some lighter fluid, take a dump, the old spray paint can, pepper spray in the vent, bullet holes...

The possibilities are endless, and I'm not giving anyone new ideas.

I know some people might be happy that there's hardly any Novas operating 74th routes right now especially on #9. There's only two so far: #6876 on #44 and #6481 on #49.

Well it's Sunday... while the number of Novas(137) outweighs the number of New Flyers(121) at 74th, at least they have a near equal amount of newer and/or rehabbed buses to use, allowing the Novas that are in really bad shape to sit for the weekend rather than be used unless needed in the case more of 6481 rather than 6876. 6876-6883 should be in better shape than the other Novas at 74th as they are the newest of the 6400-Series fleet.

Can't say the same for FG, however...

Well it's Sunday... while the number of Novas(137) outweighs the number of New Flyers(121) at 74th, at least they have a near equal amount of newer and/or rehabbed buses to use, allowing the Novas that are in really bad shape to sit for the weekend rather than be used unless needed in the case more of 6481 rather than 6876. 6876-6883 should be in better shape than the other Novas at 74th as they are the newest of the 6400-Series fleet.

Can't say the same for FG, however...

Yes indeed. I still don't like the fact how FG gets some crappy 6400s (6500s are ok but I like the original 2002 format 6756-6883 though). The only way I can accept 77th taking FG's NF's if they're down there to have easy access of them getting rehabbed rather then riding them via the Kennedy-Dan Ryan out there from FG.

Yes indeed. I still don't like the fact how FG gets some crappy 6400s (6500s are ok but I like the original 2002 format 6756-6883 though). The only way I can accept 77th taking FG's NF's if they're down there to have easy access of them getting rehabbed rather then riding them via the Kennedy-Dan Ryan out there from FG.

I wish I could say that was the case, garmon... but this was done for 77th's benefit only... most of the 1000's, 1100's and 1200's originally at FG are now rehabbed either fully or just mechanically, but they haven't been returned... instead they just use them out of their garage.

Most of the Nova stock at FG still has life(6709-6875) in it, but some of the pre-LED Novas are getting tired. 6498 was an example of that the other day... that bus seemed to really be slow on takeoff... FG will definitely need new stock or rehabbed stock soon, otherwise their out-of-service percentage for buses down due to mechanical issues is going to skyrocket(that's surely why NP stated getting New Flyers starting when the late 1500's early 1600's started to roll in as well as 1227-1230 back around 2007-08. The TMC's, which made up most of the roster minus the New Flyer(5800's) were starting to show their age despite rehabs... mechanical breakdowns, transmission failures, etc...)

I wish I could say that was the case, garmon... but this was done for 77th's benefit only... most of the 1000's, 1100's and 1200's originally at FG are now rehabbed either fully or just mechanically, but they haven't been returned... instead they just use them out of their garage.

Most of the Nova stock at FG still has life(6709-6875) in it, but some of the pre-LED Novas are getting tired. 6498 was an example of that the other day... that bus seemed to really be slow on takeoff... FG will definitely need new stock or rehabbed stock soon, otherwise their out-of-service percentage for buses down due to mechanical issues is going to skyrocket(that's surely why NP stated getting New Flyers starting when the late 1500's early 1600's started to roll in as well as 1227-1230 back around 2007-08. The TMC's, which made up most of the roster minus the New Flyer(5800's) were starting to show their age despite rehabs... mechanical breakdowns, transmission failures, etc...)

You're right on the money mate even though NP had it's NF's started at #1430 before it switched to mid-high 1500s to early 1600s (I rode #1431 on #151 back then). They have to do something fast before more inconvenience be implied towards not only passengers but FG it's self. Also as I've mentioned a few days ago, #6647 is retired (I don't know what happened) making it the first recent bus from 74th to be retired. I have a awful feeling that it's going to be plenty more piled up in the back yard of the South Shop before this year ends.

You're right on the money mate even though NP had it's NF's started at #1430 before it switched to mid-high 1500s to early 1600s (I rode #1431 on #151 back then). They have to do something fast before more inconvenience be implied towards not only passengers but FG it's self. Also as I've mentioned a few days ago, #6647 is retired (I don't know what happened) making it the first recent bus from 74th to be retired. I have a awful feeling that it's going to be plenty more piled up in the back yard of the South Shop before this year ends.

Both of you are correct that NP got NF 1000s because the TMC was wearing out on them like crazy. I think one factor of that was that by that time a nice size chunk of TMCs went there from Kedzie after Kedzie got a sizeable number of NFs out of its original assigned first block of 105 NFs, 1121-1225. Also the original block of NF 1000s assigned to NP actually began at 1431 since at that time NP and 103rd were getting NFs assigned simultaneously under that even odd split, of which NP got the odds meaning 1430 would have been at 103rd in those days, because both of them 1991 model buses that were wearing out in high numbers. 103rd was dealing with both TMCs and Flx 5300s.

As for 74th's Novas, yeah it's likely a lot of them were held in because of it being a Sunday. On weekdays, 44, 48, 75 and 94 see mostly or just about all Nova on route, with each being lucky to see one or two NFs if any in use. The other routes at 74th see Novas scattered in among NFs. The #9 actually has been seeing a smaller number of Novas in use overall in the past three weeks minimum compared to the number of NF 1000s that get put on the route. Yeah sometimes you may see Novas roll down back to back to back, but the number is still less than when 74th's Nova count increased from about 105 to the current 137, well now 136 in number with 6647 reported retired. Also if folks think the former 77th Novas at FG are looking tired, you guys should see how some of those at 74th are now looking which is another reason I was surprised to hear 6647 retired. The 66xx's at that garage look and seem to run better than those extra 64xx's they picked up from my times where there was nothing but Novas coming on the 74th based routes I tend to use.