More Bus Moves

sw4400

It's seen everyday on Jeffery Boulevard, Van Vlissingen or 100th Street with the artics serving the J14. It's also seen on North Kimball on Kedzie or North Park school runs of the 82, Addison on North Park runs of the 152, as well as along North Rogers and West Touhy through the Rogers Park and West Rogers Park neighborhoods on some North Park deadheads between Howard Station and the garage.

I'm talking about streets that CTA Buses don't normally use. I was asking because I saw one of the 4000-series travel down Wabansia toward Damen.

Others of noted that before, and at the time I indicated that Evanston must be in another time zone. :D

For real, the South Shore schedule always had a problem of that kind east of Michigan City.

I'm talking about streets that CTA Buses don't normally use. I was asking because I saw one of the 4000-series travel down Wabansia toward Damen.

yeah the bus drivers all get lost over at harlem and addison. I've seen buses go down all the o streets up to Oriole. I've even seen them go up Osceola with an artic and that has those Daley speed bumps on it.

Nice, but wouldn't be the graffiti be on the inside of the cars?

There have been some reports of cars in the Howard Yard getting graffitied on the outside & being pulled from service to clean it off right away. I believe a few have also been hit at the Linden Yard.

But it's never anything like in that video which was more like that NYCTA "wild style" of years ago.

Some kind of temporal vortex is going on up there apparently. :lol:

It's seen everyday on Jeffery Boulevard, Van Vlissingen or 100th Street with the artics serving the J14. It's also seen on North Kimball on Kedzie or North Park school runs of the 82, Addison on North Park runs of the 152, as well as along North Rogers and West Touhy through the Rogers Park and West Rogers Park neighborhoods on some North Park deadheads between Howard Station and the garage.

The way I understood TripleTransit, Jeffery, Van Vlissengen, and 100th don't count. Though those streets have residental houses on them, the are not side streets. I would say 59th St on the 192 would be a perfect example. It is a one way street WB and is a side street (though not residental since its on the UC Campus).

About 18 months ago, I saw a 4000 artic stuck in the snow going NB on Damen, just north of Touhy. Damen is a narrow, one way street there. Never did figure out why it was there.

I also used to see CTA buses go down my side street as a kid 40 years ago. It happened every couple of months. I figure they were lost.

About 18 months ago, I saw a 4000 artic stuck in the snow going NB on Damen, just north of Touhy. Damen is a narrow, one way street there. Never did figure out why it was there.

I also used to see CTA buses go down my side street as a kid 40 years ago. It happened every couple of months. I figure they were lost.

That's interesting.... I was going to say that Damen has used artics since Kedzie and now North Park run the route. But Damen terminates at Ashland/Clark, and Touhy is way north of there. Foster is the street North Park is located, and that's further south than Touhy... you got me on this one...

Ah you're talking about a side street. In that case, one weekday morning back in February I spotted a 4000 series artic from North Park come south down Ravenswood and turn west down Peterson toward the garage. It was quite unusual since out of the few times I've seen a North Park bus dead head down Peterson it was almost always coming from Ridge as the 84 Peterson does. A lot of the artic deadheads tend to be Clark-Ridge-Broadway to Berwyn if its a 136 run turning into a later 146 run, and to the garage it's either Clark-Ashland-Foster or Devon-Western-Fpster with a small few sometimes being down Rogers and Touhy. The Rogers-Touhy deadhead is often used more by operators behind the wheel of a 40 foot NF. The rare times I've seen artics go that way Is always interesting because of the fact of Rogers being narrow width like one of the residential side streets that you had in mind.

Ah you're talking about a side street. In that case, one weekday morning back in February I spotted a 4000 series artic from North Park come south down Ravenswood and turn west down Peterson toward the garage. It was quite unusual since out of the few times I've seen a North Park bus dead head down Peterson it was almost always coming from Ridge as the 84 Peterson does. A lot of the artic deadheads tend to be Clark-Ridge-Broadway to Berwyn if its a 136 run turning into a later 146 run, and to the garage it's either Clark-Ashland-Foster or Devon-Western-Fpster with a small few sometimes being down Rogers and Touhy. The Rogers-Touhy deadhead is often used more by operators behind the wheel of a 40 foot NF. The rare times I've seen artics go that way Is always interesting because of the fact of Rogers being narrow width like one of the residential side streets that you had in mind.

Rogers and Touhy wouldn't be that unusual, because of the regular 290 routing that way.

However, via Ridge-Ravenswood, at least in the old days, wouldn't happen. The usual route (assuming a bus was going to North Park instead of Limits) would have been Devon and Western.

That's interesting.... I was going to say that Damen has used artics since Kedzie and now North Park run the route. But Damen terminates at Ashland/Clark, and Touhy is way north of there. Foster is the street North Park is located, and that's further south than Touhy... you got me on this one...

Damen north of Touhy is barely wide enough for a car let alone a full sized CTA bus.

My guess is that the driver was deadheading back to North Park from Howard, except it wasn't supposed to go back to NP & then tried to turn around to go back to Howard.

It was on Touhy as Rogers was closed for sewer work, so the 290 was also using Touhy east of Ridge to Clark.

I just remembered a very strange trip on a NB 22 a few years ago.

It had to be a new driver who had never even ridden the 22.

He missed the turn at Rogers to go to the terminal, continued north into Evanston, until the passengers told him to turn around, which we did, by going east on South Blvd., south on Sheridan to Howard, west on Howard to Clark, south on Clark to Rogers & then into the terminal.

I was also on a 192 SB run last year where the driver didn't know where to stop for the Union Station pickup [at Jackson, not the Adams corner].

Then he had to be told how to go west on the Midway & Ellis & 59th.

Rogers and Touhy wouldn't be that unusual, because of the regular 290 routing that way.

However, via Ridge-Ravenswood, at least in the old days, wouldn't happen. The usual route (assuming a bus was going to North Park instead of Limits) would have been Devon and Western.

No Touhy and Rogers aren't unusual in general because that is the 290's route, and I do think some of the last 147 runs on weekday and Saturday do deadhead that way without pulling into Howard Terminal and go up to Western. But with CTA having moved away from North Park running buses from Howard Station to McCormick as supplemental 290s on the way back to the garage, preferred deadhead routes (especially for the artics) most of the time tend to be Clark-Ashland or Devon-Western to get down to Foster for the pull-in. Most of the CTA buses I see do Rogers and Touhy tend to be 40 footers.

Guest ctafan630

There used to be 152 Addison runs that used to end at Harlem and circled back east. I believe some of these runs were done by artics and made a turn north on Neva and west on Waveland to get back to Harlem to begin the eastbound leg.

The bible says that before Jesus ascended far above the heavens, he first descended into the lower parts of the earth to hold captivity captive. To wit, Ephesians 4: 8 - 10:

Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.

9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Is the Blue Line subway a hell hole?