More Bus Moves

sw4400

For some reason #1783's been at Chicago for a few days and this morning #1408 was running with it back to back on the #72

What the hell??? #6614 on #20 and #6644 on #53 right now!!!

Update: #4000 and #4029 are on #66 right now. #1408 is on #72 right now BusHunter.

There is a history of the summer festival season mixing up bus deployments here and there with those buses ending up back at their "home" garages in short time.

That dumba$$.....

Not necessarily in this instance. He had Powerpoints posted about how there would be all these savings if maintenance parts were put in kits available just in time in the garages. If we are assuming that every garage gets every series, that would increase inventory costs.

The only thing surprising then was him repudiating that Archer usually gets new equipment (in that it was the first to get each series of 1000s).

And we can certainly bet the that first 7900s will not be assigned to Archer. :D

Not necessarily in this instance. He had Powerpoints posted about how there would be all these savings if maintenance parts were put in kits available just in time in the garages. If we are assuming that every garage gets every series, that would increase inventory costs.

The only thing surprising then was him repudiating that Archer usually gets new equipment (in that it was the first to get each series of 1000s).

And we can certainly bet the that first 7900s will not be assigned to Archer. :D

I actually did get the assignment sheet for the 7900's...

• Archer
  • Limits
  • Beverly

These garages will get the 7900's exclusively... ^_^

#2005 was on route 55 today during the pm rush,it was most likely a loaner, Also #1092,#1528 and #1039 were all sitting idle at the Garfield-55th green line station. I wonder what those buses were doing there?

Those were probably shuttle buses from what happened earlier. Why they were using 40' buses instead of 60' buses, I don't know.

I was on 6505 this afternoon and it's Ventra reader has been repositioned. I think that is Nova(6400)-wide, whether the buses are soon-to-be retired or not.

Perhaps. I wonder if anyone has seen this on Chicago's Novas. If so then they're going to finally complete being several months late in their announcement to the media that the readers on ALL buses in the system would be repositioned. :lol:

I was on 6505 this afternoon and it's Ventra reader has been repositioned. I think that is Nova(6400)-wide, whether the buses are soon-to-be retired or not.

Yeah, I think that it has to do with the ventra readers not reading cards. They most likely think that if someone puts the card on top of the reader it will read it, but some of these machines are still goofed up. Man, did you see the lines on Monday and Tuesday at the Ventra machines at the "L" stations. Most were four to five deep and the CA was constantly answering questions. One even brought a chair over. The old magnetic stripe card machines had "Use Ventra" displayed on them. I should've took a picture. That seemed kind of humorous to me, why didn't they just remove the machines?

As far as bus moves, #1408 was back on the #22 last night.

Yeah, I think that it has to do with the ventra readers not reading cards. They most likely think that if someone puts the card on top of the reader it will read it, but some of these machines are still goofed up. Man, did you see the lines on Monday and Tuesday at the Ventra machines at the "L" stations. Most were four to five deep and the CA was constantly answering questions. One even brought a chair over. The old magnetic stripe card machines had "Use Ventra" displayed on them. I should've took a picture. That seemed kind of humorous to me, why didn't they just remove the machines?

As far as bus moves, #1408 was back on the #22 last night.

To answer your side question, that would be because as of Sunday although the mag stripe vending machines are not selling NEW mag cards, the last of the last Ventra holdouts can still reload old mag stripe cards already in their possession. That's all the mag stripe vending machines are good for now and the reason why CTA are leaving them in place. But of course that changes July 1 when the very last Ventra threshold deadline kicks in and CTA and Pace buses will be completely changed over to Ventra for farecard payments.

Those were probably shuttle buses from what happened earlier. Why they were using 40' buses instead of 60' buses, I don't know.

#2005 was on route 55 today during the pm rush,it was most likely a loaner, Also #1092,#1528 and #1039 were all sitting idle at the Garfield-55th green line station. I wonder what those buses were doing there?

Perhaps the 40-foot buses were the only ones available for the shuttle service? Judging by the time of the alert, I would suspect that most of the artics would've been on the street filling their regular runs.

There is another possibility. Up until a few years ago (I don't know if this is the case), SEPTA would put out a radio request for operators who had finished their runs to work extra trips to cover a emergency shuttle on a trolley or subway line. Do CTA rules allow for dispatchers to request "volunteer" drivers in case of an emergency shuttle?

They can't charge up their magnetic stripped cards no more as of 6/1. What it has is what it has. So no money on your magnetic stripped card means you now need to use ventra.

You're right. I was thinking about last month.

Perhaps the 40-foot buses were the only ones available for the shuttle service? Judging by the time of the alert, I would suspect that most of the artics would've been on the street filling their regular runs.

There is another possibility. Up until a few years ago (I don't know if this is the case), SEPTA would put out a radio request for operators who had finished their runs to work extra trips to cover a emergency shuttle on a trolley or subway line. Do CTA rules allow for dispatchers to request "volunteer" drivers in case of an emergency shuttle?

The other thing to consider too is that the trains were still running. The shuttles were basically for folks who didn't want to sit in the trains and wait for them to one track it one direction at a time through the Indiana and 43rd Street stations. You don't really need artics to take care of that situation especially with the 3, 4, 29 and the Red Line all close by if folks wanted to bypass the Green Line. Now if the trains were actually on a full service disruption instead of delayed, then yeah you'd probably need articulated buses in that situation.

• Upvote 1

Some kind of temporal vortex is going on up there apparently. :lol:

You guys ever see an artic travel down a residential side street before? it's strange but also cool.

It's seen everyday on Jeffery Boulevard, Van Vlissingen or 100th Street with the artics serving the J14. It's also seen on North Kimball on Kedzie or North Park school runs of the 82, Addison on North Park runs of the 152, as well as along North Rogers and West Touhy through the Rogers Park and West Rogers Park neighborhoods on some North Park deadheads between Howard Station and the garage.