More Bus Moves

sw4400

I hope there are ghost buses along this route. If not, then this is totally inexcusable for this long gap. :huh:

Everyone thinks it sucks to have bus bunching before or after a long gap, but as I have explained before, sometimes it just can't be avoided. Consider the railroad tracks that run along Kilpatrick. The EB buses that get caught by a freight train or two will fall way behind schedule and the WB buses west of the tracks will inevitalbly catch those buses. Also, WB buses east of those tracks will be delayed. There is nothing that CTA can do about that. Its going to take 2 or 3 buses to pick up all of those passengers who've been waithing because of the freight train delays This route along with 55 Garfield, 63 63rd, and 79 79th are prime candidates for bus bunching and long gaps due to freight trains crossing at grade level.

In your pic there seems to be only 5 buses total running this route, so my guess is that there has to be some ghost buses in there somewhere.

Everyone thinks it sucks to have bus bunching before or after a long gap, but as I have explained before, sometimes it just can't be avoided. Consider the railroad tracks that run along Kilpatrick. The EB buses that get caught by a freight train or two will fall way behind schedule and the WB buses west of the tracks will inevitalbly catch those buses. Also, WB buses east of those tracks will be delayed. There is nothing that CTA can do about that. Its going to take 2 or 3 buses to pick up all of those passengers who've been waithing because of the freight train delays This route along with 55 Garfield, 63 63rd, and 79 79th are prime candidates for bus bunching and long gaps due to freight trains crossing at grade level.

In your pic there seems to be only 5 buses total running this route, so my guess is that there has to be some ghost buses in there somewhere.

It would be very cool if there was a feature telling passengers the descriptions of bus delays i.e. freight train interference, police activity, unexpected detour, etc.

I hope there are ghost buses along this route. If not, then this is totally inexcusable for this long gap. :huh:

The other day about noon, there wasn't a single NB 22 from Armitage to Howard on Bustracker.

Since I was trying to get a Pace 215, I walked to Loyola & took the L, which then had to sit between Jarvis & Howard, because the usual gang of idiots in the Howard Tower had a "Not In Service" train parked on track 3 & a Red Line sitting on Track 4, even though the turn loop was empty.

The week before, I was waiting for a Linden bound train there, both NB tracks were clear, but the SB Purple was stuck on the bridge because both SB tracks were blocked, which is a constant problem at Howard.

On Track 1, was a SB Red & on Track 2, was a 6 car 2600, with "Not In Service" signs.

After several minutes, I saw a woman start walking from the southernmost car, through the train. Then she was in the cab, looked out the window at the north end & moved the train about 25 feet. She then climbed down the ladder at the north end, proceeded to cross the trolley rail, walk about 3 cars back, never looking at anything under any cars & then walked back to the head end cab, where the train sat for another 5 minutes. As the Red on Track 1 left for its SB run to 95th, the gang of idiots in the tower put another Red on Track 1, while a large crowd was gathering on the NB platform waiting for the NB Purple.

Finally, the "Not In Service" 2600, left & went on the loop track that's between the West Yard & the Swift tracks & proceeded to circle the outside of the yard.

Then & only then did the SB Purple make it to its berth on Track 2 & then go to the turnback track to return north to Linden.

This entire idiocy took about 10 minutes & would have been avoided, if only someone in the Howard Tower had a brain!

But that's been a problem there for decades, blocking both SB tracks, usually with Red Line trains & thus prevent any Linden or Dempster bound trains from dropping their passengers at Howard & then turning back for their NB trips.

It would be very cool if there was a feature telling passengers the descriptions of bus delays i.e. freight train interference, police activity, unexpected detour, etc.

There are notices that let you know if something's up with bus service, but Bus Tracker's kind of slow with getting the news out.

But that's been a problem there for decades, blocking both SB tracks, usually with Red Line trains & thus prevent any Linden or Dempster bound trains from dropping their passengers at Howard & then turning back for their NB trips.

I had several occasions that, because of stuff like that, any time gained on the Purple Line between Addison and Jarvis was lost by the passed Red Line trains passing the Purple at Jarvis before they would let it into the Howard station.

Obviously, it is worse for the SB passengers if the Yellow or Purple Shuttle can't get into the station so that the passengers can make the mandatory transfer to continue further.

There are notices that let you know if something's up with bus service, but Bus Tracker's kind of slow with getting the news out.

Not in the detail Garmon wants, and I really wonder whether it could get out in time that a train is blocking the crossing.

Pace dealt with this problem (159th and Vincennes) by rerouting the 364 bus under a viaduct at State and 163rd, but I don't think there is any reroute around this consistent line of grade crossings. But that reenforces why the 94 bus uses 69th St.

I'm assuming that grade separating that amount of grade crossings would be a big project ranking up there with an entirely new CTA rail line. From what the Google/Bus Tracker map shows, the bus route is at the end of a rail yard.

I had several occasions that, because of stuff like that, any time gained on the Purple Line between Addison and Jarvis was lost by the passed Red Line trains passing the Purple at Jarvis before they would let it into the Howard station.

Obviously, it is worse for the SB passengers if the Yellow or Purple Shuttle can't get into the station so that the passengers can make the mandatory transfer to continue further.

Happened to me around 2003, but only one Red Line train blocked my Purple Line Express before we were allowed to pull into Howard.

Poor SB passengers. Missed connections are never fun.

Maybe that's a snowboard in 80 degree weather, but if the surf on Lake Michigan were up enough to use that, I'm sure we will read about a marine rescue in tomorrow's paper.

Everyone was laughing, this was just hilarious. And they let her on. I thought snowboards are smaller. I think that is a surfboard anyway it says hawaii on it. Now who goes snowboarding in Hawaii? :lol:

Everyone was laughing, this was just hilarious. And they let her on. I thought snowboards are smaller. I think that is a surfboard anyway it says hawaii on it. Now who goes snowboarding in Hawaii? :lol:

Down a volcano? :unsure:

I'm still getting over how the thing even fit on the bus! Imagine if she had to use the bike rack.

You can ski or snowboard in Dubai of all places. Maybe Hawaii will be next.

#1057 and #1942 on #9 what the hell...... :huh:

Update: #1540 is on 49B and #1541 is on #50 right now. Another Forest Glen Nova transitioned to 74th which is #6692 on #62 right now. So therefore, #6694 has to be at 74th due to the fact that #6692, #6693, and #6695 are already there.

Update: #6694 is indeed at 74th. It's currently on #94.

Not in the detail Garmon wants, and I really wonder whether it could get out in time that a train is blocking the crossing.

Pace dealt with this problem (159th and Vincennes) by rerouting the 364 bus under a viaduct at State and 163rd, but I don't think there is any reroute around this consistent line of grade crossings. But that reenforces why the 94 bus uses 69th St.

That's correct. Even if they detour them via Columbus Ave wouldn't help either especially #79 and #87 due to the fact that the railroad crossing on Columbus is near Central Park and 83rd (close to Ashburn Metra in which there's a crossover between the two railroads including Metra over there).

Well hey hey hey!!!! Nothing but artics on #20 right now!!!

Update: #6695 has been transitioned to 74th from Forest Glen. It's currently on #63.

I spotted that yesterday too. Must have been something going yesterday for the 20 to need the extra capacity. I say that because today the route is back to 40 footers. On the 6690s that made it to 74th, between those and the NFs that made it back there from 77th, they managed to get some that lowered numbered junk formerly from 77th out. The recent Nova moves makes me wonder if things are getting set up for either Chicago or FG to be first or at least at the top of the list in getting 7900s (of course we'd have to wait for the 7900s that are collecting down at South Shops to finally go into revenue service to find out for sure). Whatever the deal is, the 64xx numbered Novas seem to be getting consolidated at C and FG with the latest shifts among Novas.

UPDATE: Scratch my question about how C and FG would fall on the 7900s assignment list in light of my seeing the reports in the 7900s thread that a few were in service on 77th routes as of this morning. The only thing left that's relevant to ask is if the recent 6400 series moves would put either one of those two garages higher on the list for 7900 assignment.