More Bus Moves

sw4400

Wow, so you are basically saying that some runs just pull out from SS and do the one trip home. Hmm... a 1/2 tripper. o.O i wasn't aware this was done all week. Maybe maths tracker can show us this if we are really curious. Then why have hikers at all, just maybe for the mega moves or a service call on the street. I know of friends (operators) that were asked to work overnights so they could move buses? I guess for OT.

Why not just have operators pull out the new buses, do they not trust them or a transportation manager out of the home garage has to sign off on receiving them in OK condition.

21 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

#1577 has made its way back to 74th while on #63 right now.

So after being sent to Kedzie in this year's latest NF swap madness during most of the spring, it's made its way back to 74th. 

7 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

All the runs listed above do this 5 days a week - Mon to Fri. CTA (and CSL before) have been doing this since the 1930's at least. Basically they have a couple of buses from each garage delivered to S Shops every morning. If there is a campaign on to do some modification, they do that during the day, otherwise they do "heavy inspections". Sometimes they do nothing - the bus just sits there a few hours until the PM driver shows up to take it home. But this has been the pattern since streetcar days. In the past, there have been other examples, like during the 1980's when they were putting radios in all the buses, the work was being done at Lawndale Garage, and there were a couple of runs from each garage schedule to and from Lawndale every day. Note these are part-time runs in every case, so this keeps the costs down. Just pay the driver the allotted time to get to SS and get back to garage. If you used hikers (aka mechanics) this would be using personnel who are being paid 8 hours of which now about 4 would be used to make this move.

What you explained here sounds similar to another killing two birds with one stone move that I observed a 49/X49 NP run do the prior two days. On Thursday and yesterday, I rode an X49 NB which arrives at Berwyn at about 4:20 PM, possibly making it the fourth PM rush NB trip of the day according to the current schedule. Upon making it to the Berwyn terminal, another operator takes over and pulls that bus out of its previous service as a Western main corridor service. That driver then takes the bus east on Foster to Lake Shore for a deadhead into downtown, which got determined from what I'll be mentioning next. Upon checking out maths22's tracker and the CTA tracker, the bus is shown to have later gone into service as a #136.

2 hours ago, RJL6000 said:

So has #1578 and #1579. Kedzie got #1587-89 back from 74th in return.

Wow, these swaps isn't making any sense. Why not have 74th with 1405-1579 and Kedzie 1580-1752? 77th shouldn't have any 1500s nor 1600s. Also, wassup with Chicago having some 1200s? That really don't make any f'ing sense.... O.o

3 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Wow, these swaps isn't making any sense. Why not have 74th with 1405-1579 and Kedzie 1580-1752? 77th shouldn't have any 1500s nor 1600s. Also, wassup with Chicago having some 1200s? That really don't make any f'ing sense.... O.o

I think the 1200s at Chicago are temporary, "summer rentals" that will be sent back to 103rd when the fall pick comes. And 74th will eventually get 1566-1574 from Kedzie, also at the fall pick. 

On July 7, 2016 at 10:12 AM, ThirdRailVision said:

Stumbled upon a DNAinfo article titled "Unearthed Film Shows Incredible Views From The Earliest Days Of The CTA".

Pretty interesting video to check out--great footage (1948-1970) !!

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160705/downtown/unearthed-video-profiles-incredible-views-from-earliest-days-of-cta

Always something about film older than I am. :P I love it!

21 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Besides dann's point about the 1200s at Chicago, 1587-89 should have gone to K to begin with. So minor number cleanup there.

On 7/10/2016 at 11:36 AM, garmon757 said:

On 7/10/2016 at 2:41 PM, dann said:

I think the 1200s at Chicago are temporary, "summer rentals" that will be sent back to 103rd when the fall pick comes. And 74th will eventually get 1566-1574 from Kedzie, also at the fall pick. 

I was contemplating that the reason for 1208-1218 being at Chicago garage was so they could be sent to Forest Glen garage when another bunch of 6400-series Novas were retired.

13 hours ago, pudgym29 said:

I was contemplating that the reason for 1208-1218 being at Chicago garage was so they could be sent to Forest Glen garage when another bunch of 6400-series Novas were retired.

i think your right. they might need some artics at FG some routes there are getting full.

1 hour ago, XE NewFlyer said:

i think your right. they might need some artics at FG some routes there are getting full.

The passenger count on 77 would have justified it, but as frequently pointed out, the garage hoist replacement program didn't appear to give the shop at FG the ability to service 60 foot buses.

On 7/11/2016 at 5:09 PM, pudgym29 said:

Doubtful otherwise they should have taken from the lower end when they moved from 103rd and not the higher end. As was noted when they first moved, it's more likely because of the summer everyday beach service on the #72 similar to how 74th got a few extra buses because of the same beach setup with the #63. 

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

maths22's tracker shows at the moment:

8252 152: Addison 152 -40 7 F (Forest Glen).

Interestingly, that pullout is now

4374 152: Addison 152 -407F (Forest Glen)

I assume a swap for Cubs game service.

On 7/15/2016 at 11:47 AM, Busjack said:

Interestingly, that pullout is now

4374 152: Addison 152 -407F (Forest Glen)

I assume a swap for Cubs game service.

I was going to mention earlier that #4331 which was out yesterday I saw with a north park run number in the run number box and it was pulling in at Kedzie so it looked like it had a np operator and bus. yet on math's tracker it said it was a Fg bus. I think math's tracker may have some sort of glitch in how it's reading the info.

19 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

I was going to mention earlier that #4331 which was out yesterday I saw with a north park run number in the run number box and it was pulling in at Kedzie so it looked like it had a np operator and bus. yet on math's tracker it said it was a Fg bus. I think math's tracker may have some sort of glitch in how it's reading the info.

All maths is doing is putting out the information that the CTA BusTracker API is putting out, so CTA put it into that field. I thought someone explained how those pullouts are numbered--again remember it is a pullout sequence, not a run number--but I forgot what it was, so maybe he will be kind enough to do it again.

5 minutes ago, Busjack said:

All maths is doing is putting out the information that the CTA BusTracker API is putting out, so CTA put it into that field. I thought someone explained how those pullouts are numbered--again remember it is a pullout sequence, not a run number--but I forgot what it was, so maybe he will be kind enough to do it again.

Yeah but it's not pulling out of Fg in any sequence. That's the point. So all these sightings can be disregarded as false info.

Just now, BusHunter said:

Yeah but it's not pulling out of Fg in any sequence. That's the point. So all these sightings can be disregarded as false info.

As I pointed out, 4374, while a NP bus, assumed the pullout number of 8252. So, someone in scheduling would have to explain what happened,  but clearly the artic was substituted for Cubs game service for a trip that presumably would be otherwise run by a 40 foot bus out of FG.

6 minutes ago, Busjack said:

As I pointed out, 4374, while a NP bus, assumed the pullout number of 8252. So, someone in scheduling would have to explain what happened,  but clearly the artic was substituted for Cubs game service for a trip that presumably would be otherwise run by a 40 foot bus out of FG.

It definitely is a glitch on someone's end. If it was an extra run at FG or pullout sequence it wouldn't be scheduled to pullin or out at Kedzie. So something has run amock. these are actual runs not 999's or 998's which denotes it is an extra and basically can do anything.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

It definitely is a glitch on someone's end. If it was an extra run at FG or pullout sequence it wouldn't be scheduled to pullin or out at Kedzie. So something has run amock. these are actual runs not 999's or 998's which denotes it is an extra and basically can do anything.

Actually BH it could be scheduled to pull in at Kedzie and still be a Forest Glen substitute as Busjack described. Years ago back when CTA still had 7100s and Americana's,  buses from the 135 and 136 used to be stored at Kedzie Garage in midday hours instead of deadheading back to North Park as they do currently. Then when PM rush came, those buses pulled out from Kedzie to do the PM rush runs on those routes. They were still NP buses driven by NP operators. They just were stored in Kedzie for logistical reasons. This is no different other than we're seeing electronic monitoring evidence of how these kinds of deployments work. Nothing more.

1 hour ago, jajuan said:

Actually BH it could be scheduled to pull in at Kedzie and still be a Forest Glen substitute as Busjack described. Years ago back when CTA still had 7100s and Americana's,  buses from the 135 and 136 used to be stored at Kedzie Garage in midday hours instead of deadheading back to North Park as they do currently. Then when PM rush came, those buses pulled out from Kedzie to do the PM rush runs on those routes. They were still NP buses driven by NP operators. They just were stored in Kedzie for logistical reasons. This is no different other than we're seeing electronic monitoring evidence of how these kinds of deployments work. Nothing more.

Probably the question is how they can get it back to LSD and Addison at 3:45 most quickly,

42 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Probably the question is how they can get it back to LSD and Addison at 3:45 most quickly,

Turns out maths22's archive supports that:

July 15: 5:30 p.m.:

4331 152: Addison 152 -406 F (Forest Glen)

Yes indeed we have a problem here. A block number would show up such as "152-407", which translates into seventh AM pullout for 152. "152-451" would mean first PM pullout for 152. Each block number should only be used once each day. Somebody at CTA who is inputting data into the AVAS system either does not understand this scheme, or simply does not care and puts in whatever he feels like. (Or there is a glitch of some kind in either CTA's or math22's program). North Park Cubs extras should be showing run numbers in the 481 to 490's range.

• Upvote 3