More Bus Moves

sw4400

22 hours ago, Busjack said:

The other freaky signs were the Northwestern and Union Station signs (via Drexel, Route 1, for instance)

I liked those signs (maybe because they were different).

Viewing that clip made me think that CTA does not note "short turns" presently as they did in the past.

Example: Presently a 3 KING DR - 79TH  (likely a pull in) vs. 3 KING DR - 79TH (from the analog curtain days)

where the italicized 3 would have been a 3 with a red slash through it.

Red slashes through route numbers indicated short turns.

If it shows block numbers only, it is almost useless as a "block number" is not really trackable, as they do not show up even on supervisor guides. By the way, a block number refers to where the bus spends the single largest portion of its day. For instance, you can have a bus that is used on four separate routes between pullout and pullin (such as a tripper going downtown to work shuttles) and have a block number from one of the shuttle routes because it is on that route one minute more than the main route such as 135 that it went downtown on!

Also, run numbers work the same way. I work 1209 on Saturday, which is basically a #111 and #115 run, but because these two are considered "separate routes" even though they are operated as one, we have a #29 run number because the one round trip on State takes longer than time spent on either #111 or #115.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

If it shows block numbers only, it is almost useless as a "block number" is not really trackable, as they do not show up even on supervisor guides. By the way, a block number refers to where the bus spends the single largest portion of its day. For instance, you can have a bus that is used on four separate routes between pullout and pullin (such as a tripper going downtown to work shuttles) and have a block number from one of the shuttle routes because it is on that route one minute more than the main route such as 135 that it went downtown on!

Also, run numbers work the same way. I work 1209 on Saturday, which is basically a #111 and #115 run, but because these two are considered "separate routes" even though they are operated as one, we have a #29 run number because the one round trip on State takes longer than time spent on either #111 or #115.

I never would have thought those 3 routes would be interlined on Saturday. 

8 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Does CTA use a pattern for run numbers? For example at Pace, 400 and 500 runs are weekday trippers usually being operated by part-timers. What kind of run number would a tripper have vs. a full-time or block run..

1 hour ago, jesi2282 said:

Does CTA use a pattern for run numbers? For example at Pace, 400 and 500 runs are weekday trippers usually being operated by part-timers. What kind of run number would a tripper have vs. a full-time or block run..

Look at the Garages tab,  on chicagobus.org, which has all that info for each garage (when you click on that garage).

3 hours ago, ThirdRailVision said:

I saw that the Bicentennial 2400's are back in the Howard yard. Rumor has it that they might make an appearance for the upcoming Crosstown Classic. Can anyone confirm? 

Channel 7 just so said.

13 minutes ago, ThirdRailVision said:

Any preliminary details? Missed the broadcast. 

Search on abc7chicago.com didn't come up with anything at the moment. Bus Hunter also posted the story; maybe he heard more. I also see a CTA Press release for this weekend's events,but not for the Crosstown Classic, starting tomorrow.

It was all over the am news on channel 7 about the #2400's. Unfortunately I can't  find a schedule. I could ask someone I know from hq. It seems there just isnt enough info about it at this point. 

Going back to the paulina walkway last night i don't think lightning had anything to do with it. The untrained eyes probably perceived the lightning from the excessive arcing. It seem the collapse  was from wind.  An engineer is probably going to have to look at that canopy to see how much of a load it can take before collapse . I walked that entrance a couple  times. It was out of service I believe for many years. Maybe cta crews just didnt catch up on the maintenance there and got hung out to dry. Lucky for them no one was on it 

Damn they know nothing about it and they are pretty high in the food chain so to speak. Maybe its a secret. At least maybe I got them now asking questions as they have contacts with many at hq. Its either that or abc is full of it. Game starts at 7pm. From what I gather the trip will go to cell but will it come back? It will probably run the duration of the game we can only hope.

Hmm dnainfo says in a june 7th article (cant link the article on my phone) that cta intends to have the vintage buses and trains it has out for special events all year. Wouldn't  it be cool if they could run #301 or #3706 in special extra service. Maybe the #2400's will be out quite a bit. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Hmm dnainfo says in a june 7th article (cant link the article on my phone) that cta intends to have the vintage buses and trains it has out for special events all year. Wouldn't  it be cool if they could run #301 or #3706 in special extra service. Maybe the #2400's will be out quite a bit. 

This article goes into more detail than the DNAinfo one. Also of note is the quote from Graham Garfield that they were evaluating two late 1960's rail cars for possible restoration - presumably the 2200s that were at 63rd. I think someone on here posted they heard a rumor about that, so it's good to get confirmation from someone "in the know".

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

My cta hq contact just pointed out to me a cta twitter feed that says the #2400's will leave howard at 4:50 pm sb. No info was given about it's return but how long it stays out is probably up to the red line manager. 

An inference can be drawn from the embedded tweet that it stays 44 hours at 95th. Otherwise, no way to tell from that.

19 hours ago, MetroShadow said:

This could be crossposted to the CTA rail, but geeze: http://wgntv.com/2016/07/24/cta-shelter-collapses-blue-line-trains-halted-in-medical-district/

I haven't seen rain in a few months, but good lord. 

Red and Brown Lines also had trouble yesterday from a tree that fell onto the tracks near Armitage.

Another item to report is while I'm traveling along Western at the moment, I'm observing construction workers get the roadway prepped for the transition to the next phase of the Western Ave project. They've just recently completed lane configuration changes to move traffic onto the SB side of the street between the bridge over Chicago River to Roscoe. Each direction will have two lanes each. Barricades are still up as they do final checks of that part of the road. However from the looks of it traffic might be moved to those lanes by this evening or tomorrow morning by the latest.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 0:12 PM, Sam92 said:

I never would have thought those 3 routes would be interlined on Saturday. 

They are not really "interlined" in the usual sense, in that 29 buses stay on 29 and 111 and 115 buses (which do run on both) do not get on 29. In fact, bus interlining is relatively rare these days, except for school trippers. However, runs are another matter entirely. Majority of runs now work one street on first half and another on second, with no real rhyme or reason except that this is "efficient" when it comes to getting maximum work for least pay hours. Another example at 103rd is that several 14 or 15 runs work a half on 106. Only day there isn't too much of this is on Sunday. Most runs stay on one street on Sunday.

On ‎7‎/‎24‎/‎2016 at 6:34 PM, jesi2282 said:

PACE runs are 100's AM's, 200's PM's, 300's swings, 400's AM trippers, 500's PM trippers, 600's Saturday, 700's Sunday.

CTA has the same run numbers all week. For instance, 29-State runs start with 201 every day for all regular runs (straight AM, swing, or straight PM), numbered in starting time order, 251 for "block" (10 hours plus). and 271 for trippers weekdays, part-timer full-day work on weekends.

Which group a run is numbered in is determined by what route that run is on the largest percentage of time. So you have anomalies like 209 on Saturday, that makes one round trip 95th to Navy Pier (about 3 hours), then three and a half trips on 111 and 115 (south on 115, back north on 111) (5 hours) but is a State run because 111 and 115 are considered "separate" routes for timekeeping purposes, so State is the "majority" route! However, run 13 also on Saturday does the same round trip on State, but then does five round trips on 103, so it is numbered as a 103 run because that is its majority route.

• Upvote 1