More Bus Moves

sw4400

10 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Yes indeed we have a problem here. A block number would show up such as "152-407", which translates into seventh AM pullout for 152. "152-451" would mean first PM pullout for 152. Each block number should only be used once each day. Somebody at CTA who is inputting data into the AVAS system either does not understand this scheme, or simply does not care and puts in whatever he feels like. (Or there is a glitch of some kind in either CTA's or math22's program). North Park Cubs extras should be showing run numbers in the 481 to 490's range.

They do appear as np runs 481-490. The thing is the pullout is not right. I don't know what changed, before they were NP block numbers. Probably not really math's problem as it translating but CTA's. Unless the translation is off.

On 7/17/2016 at 11:36 AM, andrethebusman said:

Yes indeed we have a problem here. A block number would show up such as "152-407", which translates into seventh AM pullout for 152. "152-451" would mean first PM pullout for 152. Each block number should only be used once each day. Somebody at CTA who is inputting data into the AVAS system either does not understand this scheme, or simply does not care and puts in whatever he feels like. (Or there is a glitch of some kind in either CTA's or math22's program). North Park Cubs extras should be showing run numbers in the 481 to 490's range.

On the actual bus they should show up as run numbers in the 481 to 490s range, but they wouldn't on maths22's tracker as such since his tracker shows block numbers and not run numbers. If anything is off, it would likely be on CTA's end since maths22's tracker is translating CTA's AVAS tracker information. 

17 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

FYI block codes:

100's - 103rd

200's - Kedzie

300's - unused, were Archer

400's - Forest Glen

500's - North Park

600's - 74th

700's - 77th

800's - Chicago

I gathered that from maths22's tracker. But I was getting at the last part of your prior post when you said Cubs extras should show run numbers in the 480 to 490s range. And I was pointing out the tracker shows block numbers to keep it from being confused again that the last three digits shown on that tracker are run numbers when they are indeed the block numbers.

On 7/7/2016 at 10:12 AM, ThirdRailVision said:

Stumbled upon a DNAinfo article titled "Unearthed Film Shows Incredible Views From The Earliest Days Of The CTA".

Pretty interesting video to check out--great footage (1948-1970) !!

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160705/downtown/unearthed-video-profiles-incredible-views-from-earliest-days-of-cta

I went down the page and found this link: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160511/ashburn/look-at-cta-buses-streetcars-signs-through-years

I really loved seeing the old mylar curtains and bus stop signs. Note that the text signs (and CTA maps of that day) gave an exact description of the route so you knew

what street the bus operated on.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

I went down the page and found this link: https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20160511/ashburn/look-at-cta-buses-streetcars-signs-through-years

I really loved seeing the old mylar curtains and bus stop signs. Note that the text signs (and CTA maps of that day) gave an exact description of the route so you knew

It goes by pretty fast.

At :19, the 69th sign is a generation older than what I had, but a generation younger from when the Dan Ryan changes were made in 1969. Hard to believe 59 61-WOODLAWN as a short turn. :57 has the pre-Dan Ryan version.

At :45 demonstrates a 1973-4 sign, but not clear if for 52nd or 77th (more likely 77th as it had some 7600s), 1;08 has the post-1976 version.

Also a subject of prior discussion (155A) at :37

At 1:40, the VIA INDIANA "L" STATION on the left is strange. Usually anything like that would be on the right.

36 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

Note that the text signs (and CTA maps of that day) gave an exact description of the route so you knew

I can see why they switched to maps on the bus stop signs instead of a list of streets. A lot easier to orient yourself if you're not familiar with the route.

1 minute ago, Pace831 said:

I can see why they switched to maps on the bus stop signs instead of a list of streets. A lot easier to orient yourself if you're not familiar with the route.

True. Probably the biggest difference, though, are the multipanel signs, which went from full descriptions to something like "North to Navy Pier." Compare to something like at :21.The ones on Hyde Park Blvd. (either 1 Dexel-Hyde Pk, 2 Hyde Pk, exp HYDE PK, 5 Jeffery, or 1 Dexel-Hyde Pk, 2 Hyde Pk,  5 Jeffery, exp JEFFERY) were real impressive. Of course, South Park became King Dr.

Relating to those signs, the most complicated one for me to describe was the 151. The local had many different hours of operation and  it was difficult to fit them all in without confusing the passenger reading it. Besides that it ran express and limited.

26 minutes ago, sht6131 said:

Relating to those signs, the most complicated one for me to describe was the 151. The local had many different hours of operation and  it was difficult to fit them all in without confusing the passenger reading it. Besides that it ran express and limited.

True, especially before 146 and 147, but, on the other hand,there weren't Belmont short trips. Also some of the current 151 trips were covered by 153 then. Most confusing in the late 1970s were 145 and 146 locals and express.

15 hours ago, Pace831 said:

It would be nice if CTA would label the streets on the map. I think that would be very helpful. :D

22 hours ago, Busjack said:

At 1:40, the VIA INDIANA "L" STATION on the left is strange. Usually anything like that would be on the right.

Growing up I always thought those signs were interesting - they were the only southside route signs that didn't show a route number (on a route that wasn't a Limited or an Express).

The present Pershing destination message doesn't mention the either the Indiana Green Line or Sox-35th Red Line stations [IIRC].

16 minutes ago, geneking7320 said:

Growing up I always thought those signs were interesting - they were the only southside route signs that didn't show a route number (on a route that wasn't a Limited or an Express).

The other freaky signs were the Northwestern and Union Station signs (via Drexel, Route 1, for instance)

On 7/21/2016 at 5:51 PM, Busjack said:

True, especially before 146 and 147, but, on the other hand,there weren't Belmont short trips. Also some of the current 151 trips were covered by 153 then. Most confusing in the late 1970s were 145 and 146 locals and express.

Were the 145 and 146 locals in the late 1970s that different from the 1980s and early 1990s before all trips became express? They basically followed the 151's route between downtown and Belmont by then. I do remember seeing that the 146 had an odd convoluted routing when it used to operate to McCormick Place. SB it turned onto McFetridge to serve Soldier Field and the Field Museum and then came back on SB Lake Shore Drive to McCormick Place. NB it turned down Solidarity to serve the Planetarium and the Shedd Aquarium and then turned back onto Lake Shore to head up to Balbo and the brief stint on Michigan before looping Congress Plaza and Congress Parkway to State.

Here's a question about present day operations. How long have buses on the #65 been displaying WB destination displays of "65 TO NORDICA" instead of "65 TO HARLEM"? I've been noticing more buses on that route show the more accurate destination Nordica on a more regular basis in present weeks.

• Upvote 3

30 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Were the 145 and 146 locals in the late 1970s that different from the 1980s and early 1990s before all trips became express? They basically followed the 151's route between downtown and Belmont by then. I do remember seeing that the 146 had an odd convoluted routing when it used to operate to McCormick Place. SB it turned onto McFetridge to serve Soldier Field and the Field Museum and then came back on SB Lake Shore Drive to McCormick Place. NB it turned down Solidarity to serve the Planetarium and the Shedd Aquarium and then turned back onto Lake Shore to head up to Balbo and the brief stint on Michigan before looping Congress Plaza and Congress Parkway to State.

Here's a question about present day operations. How long have buses on the #65 been displaying WB destination displays of "65 TO NORDICA" instead of "65 TO HARLEM"? I've been noticing more buses on that route show the more accurate destination Nordica on a more regular basis in present weeks.

Thats been for a while actually with the 65 I dont know exactly when. I honestly never really made note of it cause I worked at Navy Pier in the day till recently. But in the note of destination signs a few I've noticed:

2 to Drexel Sq (short turn?)

95E 93rd/95th to Stony Island

12 Roosevelt to Indiana

1 minute ago, Sam92 said:

Thats been for a while actually with the 65 I dont know exactly when. I honestly never really made note of it cause I worked at Navy Pier in the day till recently. But in the note of destination signs a few I've noticed:

12 Roosevelt to Indiana

That last one for the 12 is displayed on two lines on the head sign. I've tended to see it on weekday morning buses and more often than not on those AM Chicago operated runs on Roosevelt though I have seen a few very early morning Kedzie Garage buses display that. 

1 hour ago, sht6131 said:

I think the Nordica sign was introduced when buses replaced the streetcars. Streetcar destination sign was always Harlem as the tracks did end at Harlem.

Up until recently the buses' destination was always shown as Harlem. There might have been roller curtain signs on the buses that showed Nordica as the destination, but all buses with electronic signs have pretty much always shown Harlem before recent months. 

31 minutes ago, jajuan said:

Up until recently the buses' destination was always shown as Harlem. There might have been roller curtain signs on the buses that showed Nordica as the destination, but all buses with electronic signs have pretty much always shown Harlem before recent months. 

I started seeing Nordica more often after the spring pick. I don't go to the north side a lot, so it might have started before then.

5 hours ago, Sam92 said:

12 Roosevelt to Indiana

Drexel Square used to be the terminus for the 2 Hyde Park Express before 2003 when it became a bidirectional route and had its terminus moved to 60th and Cottage Grove.  

The Stony Island destination for the 95E is for garage pull ins.

I believe that the Indiana destination for the 12 was for late night or early morning trips that didn't serve the Museum Campus when the 12 went that far.  Its possible that the destination predated the Museum Campus. 

6 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Drexel Square used to be the terminus for the 2 Hyde Park Express before 2003 when it became a bidirectional route and had its terminus moved to 60th and Cottage Grove.  

The Stony Island destination for the 95E is for garage pull ins.

I believe that the Indiana destination for the 12 was for late night or early morning trips that didn't serve the Museum Campus when the 12 went that far.  Its possible that the destination predated the Museum Campus. 

Actually the '12 to Indiana' destination does predate the Museum Campus and the 12's former Museum Campus routing. Before the Roosevelt bridge over the Metra Electric/South Shore tracks, that was the destination for the route and the buses turned around using what was called the Roosevelt U at the time since that was in fact a U-turn built into the street where Roosevelt Rd used to end in the Loop.