CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

9 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Replacing 100 pretty unreliable cars with 100 much more reliable ones improves things. Orange service is less stressful on equipment than Blue. In all everybody seems to come out ok.

I suppose that 25 year old cars are more reliable than 31 to 37 year old cars and thrown in 2 sets of 8 year old cars.   While the Orange Line isn't the  Blue Line in terms of  stress, it ain't the Pink Line either.  But it has to work for the next 2 to 3 years or else...

8 hours ago, Aiden Tabucic said:

Why where 5000’s not in service running on the brown line side at Fullerton today

Was that NB or SB?  Most likely explanation is that a train was deadheading to (NB) or from (SB) Howard.  It could've been a swap of cars from Howard to 54/Cermak yards.  The reasons for the Brown and Purple tracks are to bypass Red Line trains and to use the  Loop tracks to get to or from 54/Cermak. 

7 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Was that NB or SB?  Most likely explanation is that a train was deadheading to (NB) or from (SB) Howard.  It could've been a swap of cars from Howard to 54/Cermak yards.  The reasons for the Brown and Purple tracks are to bypass Red Line trains and to use the  Loop tracks to get to or from 54/Cermak. 

It was SB

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

5000s were in Morgan middle today but I dont know why.

I believe that the Pink Line was rerouted to Racine for Saturday morning and afternoon.

--

As for the Blue and Orange discussion - Orange Line has more opportunity to pull problematic trains from service because it has a single three-track terminal and comparatively short run times. Also, I would imagine that the track and power conditions are much better than on the Blue Line.

As for 5000s/7000s and the Blue Line - there are a number of projects underway and being planned. Remember that the "rideshare hailing fee" is in effect and has already funded track and power projects across the system this year. Blue Line will absolutely need upgrades to handle the new fleet and CTA is aware of this.

• Upvote 3

I just find it kind of peculiar that blue line had a complete rerailing with upgraded signaling installed on basically the whole ohare branch and they didn't upgrade the power during all this. When they speak of power issues maybe they mean the forest pk branch it was designed to carry every other train the other one designed to go to 54th. 

If there are really power issues on the blue line they better get cranking on substations they dont get rebuilt in 2 weeks it's a big line and the 7000s or 5000s are coming. I suppose they could delay it with all 3200s on the blue but I'm just skeptical on this we cant run 5000s because of a power issue thing. Just seems a little convenient to me. 

Btw 256 cars is not 400 cars so there might be a problem with the all 3200s theory.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I just find it kind of peculiar that blue line had a complete rerailing with upgraded signaling installed on basically the whole ohare branch and they didn't upgrade the power during all this. When they speak of power issues maybe they mean the forest pk branch it was designed to carry every other train the other one designed to go to 54th. 

If there are really power issues on the blue line they better get cranking on substations they dont get rebuilt in 2 weeks it's a big line and the 7000s or 5000s are coming. I suppose they could delay it with all 3200s on the blue but I'm just skeptical on this we cant run 5000s because of a power issue thing. Just seems a little convenient to me. 

Btw 256 cars is not 400 cars so there might be a problem with the all 3200s theory.

CTA said it was a power  issue on the O'Hare branch.   Neither one of us can refute this,  so I won't.   I don't think  that power is the issue on the Forest Park branch as much as bad rail.  That branch needs a  DanRyan like rebuild.   Remember the 5000s never saw the Red Line until the south branch was closed  for reconstruction.   

If I'm not mistaken,  there's a  substation ear Mlwaukee and Division getting a  power upgrade now. It is what it is.

How many substations need to be rebuilt though? You know were are a year from 7000 prototypes 2 years from new cars. I think almost for sure blue line will be going all 3200 just because they cant rebuild all those substations that fast hopefully 256 7000s dont get here too fast or they'll have a problem. The forest pk branch is supposed to be rehabbed but it's going at the speed of the red line extension. Hopefully it can happen before we all retire. LOL!!

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

As was pointed out many times before, 100 2600s are getting a life extending rehab.

Also, aren't you the one that said a good number of the 2600s are virtually dead?

30 minutes ago, Busjack said:

As was pointed out many times before, 100 2600s are getting a life extending rehab.

Also, aren't you the one that said a good number of the 2600s are virtually dead?

Well they cant seem to handle the demand on the blue line that's for sure and need to do Orange line service which is less labor intensive. If they are getting a rehab they better hurry up they wont be needing the cars in 3-4 years. Plus the blue line runs more than 100 cars, even with the positive addition of 100 #3200's that still leaves 200 unrehabbed cars. I see the blue line getting more 3200 cars when more cars fail but it probably wont be more than 50 more. They need a base fleet that's reliable maybe 150 could do that. It sure would be nice to have the rehabbed 2600s now but this is why we are using 3200s on the blue line right now.  

6 hours ago, BusHunter said:

How many substations need to be rebuilt though? You know were are a year from 7000 prototypes 2 years from new cars. I think almost for sure blue line will be going all 3200 just because they cant rebuild all those substations that fast hopefully 256 7000s dont get here too fast or they'll have a problem. The forest pk branch is supposed to be rehabbed but it's going at the speed of the red line extension. Hopefully it can happen before we all retire. LOL!!

What are substations and there is one being rebuilt at 1000 N Milwaukee 

Well from the looks of it, the 3200s on the orange line are gone. Nothing passed me in the rush and #3215-16 and #3229-30 which were the only 4 I saw last week are now on the brown line. Brown line was running more 2600s but the intervals for the brown and orange lines were sometimes 10 minutes and this is at 5pm. Brown line was having door problems on a train so I dont know if you can call that an excuse. Looks to me like orange could use some help. Green line was running great intervals every 5 minutes. You know how pink is doing a few unnamed extras on the blue., they say ridership is poor on the south side green line. I wonder if orange couldn't benefit off a few deviated green lines just for a round trip. You could have consolidation plus help out the misfortunate lines with old equipment. Looked like orange didn't have enough working equipment. Could they be short. Brown line has lost a good chunk of 3200s and still I dont see many 2600s I wonder if that is affecting operations. Blue line is doing well intervals less than 5 minutes. The new equipment is helping 

Just now, Tcmetro said:

Pink Line could benefit from six-car trains at peak. Is there any reason CTA can't do it?

It's not that  they  can't do it so much as they  won't do it.   The heaviest  portion of the line extends from  downtown to  Polk.  I guess that is too short a distance to justify 2 extra cars per train.  Besides, if things keep going the way they are going now, those surplus 5000s will get used elsewhere.  You might see some on the Orange Line  for the Holidays.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, andrethebusman said:

Just to be clear about this - the Pink/Blue trains are unpicked extras caused by Blue having insufficient equipment to operate themselves and as such are liable to be cancelled at any time such as when Blue gets enough 3200's in.

CTA would still have to replace the public timetable.

34 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

How do you know if Midway will get 5000s during the holidays?

What I was saying was if the 2600s continue to malfunction at a high rate, especially  those on the Orange Line,  CTA might have to route  some 5000s over there too, maybe for the Holidays.  I'm not saying they will be there.