CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

23 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

I literally said twice now YOU WILL SEE 5600’S ON GREEN NOT PINK

1.  Why are you yelling?
  2. He was agreeing with you, he said he hadn't seen 5600s on Pink
  3. Why are you yelling?
  4. Look/Read carefully at what you both said
    1. You: "Maybe it came from green because Green/Pink switch cars and Green/Red do switches to that’s how couple 5600’s landed up on green "
    2. Him: "It can be either or.  5001-5050 are technically 54th Av's cars.  It could've went Pink to Green to Red; I haven't seen any 5600s on the Pink Line yet."
      1. He provided a possible counterpoint, while also saying that you were correct
    3. You: "5600’s on GREEN not pink"
      1. Completely missing what he said, and then a little bit unnecessary with it.
    4. Him: "I literally just said I have not seen 5600s on the Pink Line ?"
      1. Agreeing with you again /Conceding the point again
    5. You: "I literally said twice now YOU WILL SEE 5600’S ON GREEN NOT PINK"
      1. Now you're just being rude
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Adding to what @NewFlyerMCI said, you are not Dorval Carter so you do not have a say at what happens or not at CTA to talk to people on these forums this way.

This is the third time you have to be stubborn and rude with me when the topic of 5000 transfers from Pink/Green to Red happen.  

• 3 months later...

I just saw several 8 car 2600s trains on the brown line going north and south around 4:15 pm today. One of them had a 700 run number which is an orange line run number. Then I caught an 8 car 2600 train on a loop bound brown line train, it had a 400 run number. Then I saw a 4 car kimball bound brown line train. All this happened at 4:15 pm, why is the br9;2 line running 4 car trains during rush hour and are the brown and orange line swapping cars? I saw upper 2600s so the cars were orange line cars, the brownage runs only run during AM rush periods unless they moved that to run during PM rush periods too. So what went on on the brown line today? 

10 minutes ago, Javi78 said:

I just saw several 8 car 2600s trains on the brown line going north and south around 4:15 pm today. One of them had a 700 run number which is an orange line run number. Then I caught an 8 car 2600 train on a loop bound brown line train, it had a 400 run number. Then I saw a 4 car kimball bound brown line train. All this happened at 4:15 pm, why is the br9;2 line running 4 car trains during rush hour and are the brown and orange line swapping cars? I saw upper 2600s so the cars were orange line cars, the brownage runs only run during AM rush periods unless they moved that to run during PM rush periods too. So what went on on the brown line today? 

I think I can make enough sense of these to answer. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about any of the following, since this is mostly speculation on my part

• The 4-car train probably left Kimball before rush-hour started.
  • Orange & Brown line probably swap cars more often than not, probably because
    • With the the Brownage trains, as I understand, trains leave Midway in the morning, do a NB run on Orange and Brown and then do a SB run in reverse. So far, this is only in the AM peak. However, it may not be the same trains every single time, leading to say, an abandoned Orange line consist sitting in Kimball yard or vice versa Thusly, what you probably saw was
      • Operator error in regards to the run # (speculation on my part)
      • Naturally mixing equipment.
  • It's also important to note that many of the 3200s on the Brown and Orange went to the Blue Line, in exchange for their 2600s

There was an alert posted at 5:05 PM:

Brown Line service is running with delays and busier trains/platforms due to delays at Kimball.

Crews are working to accommodate all passengers and restore normal service as quickly as is possible.

I don’t know the exact cause, and I know you said it was 4:15 when you made your observations, but it seems possibly related.

There are no PM brownage runs on the schedule.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

So, is Brown line equipment stored at Midway overnight, or is Orange line equipment used to supplement Brown line service. And then, how come PM Brownage isn't a thing?

PM Brownage can be a General Order if Kimball needs help handling passengers when out of capacity.   It's a put-in, so to speak.  Sometimes put-ins can be done to alleviate delays.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/11/2019 at 7:00 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

On 6/11/2019 at 7:32 PM, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

He knows that but he has not seen the 5600's on the Pink Line, so why do you need to talk about the Green Line, when we all know there are 4 groups of them there?

On 6/11/2019 at 8:32 AM, chicagocubs6323 said:

It can be either or.  5001-5050 are technically 54th Av's cars.  It could've went Pink to Green to Red; I haven't seen any 5600s on the Pink Line yet.

On 6/11/2019 at 1:29 PM, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

5600’s on GREEN not pink

On 6/11/2019 at 2:29 PM, chicagocubs6323 said:

I literally just said I have not seen 5600s on the Pink Line ?

56XX's on Pink.

• 1 month later...
36 minutes ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

I should clarify my question, as in, what are sleet fighters? Am I correct in assuming these are water-impervious and/or hydrophobic cars?

These are revenue service cars that are equipped with sleet fighting capabilities.  They use de-icing liquid to remove sleet from the third rail and keep trains running safely.  

20181127_181725.jpg

Screenshot_20191207-003345_YouTube.jpg

• Thanks 2

18 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

These are revenue service cars that are equipped with sleet fighting capabilities.  They use de-icing liquid to remove sleet from the third rail and keep trains running safely.  

20181127_181725.jpg

Screenshot_20191207-003345_YouTube.jpg

I like how they tidied up the area where the fluid is stored. The last time I rode in a sleet train they had a bunch of tanks on the floor in trays with a bunch of hoses coming out of them. The tanks weren’t that big either, each one about the size of two plastic gasoline cans put together. They were also clear too, so it just looked like a bunch of tanks holding apple cider in them.

• 2 weeks later...

With the brownage runs, and that one Monday last month where they did extended fast tracks construction on the brown line between western and kimball, orange line trains had to run to western brown line station to fill for brown line runs due to kimball yard being cut off by the construction. I started to think that CTA should merge the brown and orange lines into one line. A line that’s kimball to midway full time. The brownage runs are very effective and run good. It would make sense to merge the brown and orange lines into one line and make that one line all 2600s and put every 3200 on the blue line. If this were to happen do you think CTA would make it the brown line or make it the orange line if it were to be a one line kimball to midway? 

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Javi78 said:

With the brownage runs, and that one Monday last month where they did extended fast tracks construction on the brown line between western and kimball, orange line trains had to run to western brown line station to fill for brown line runs due to kimball yard being cut off by the construction. I started to think that CTA should merge the brown and orange lines into one line. A line that’s kimball to midway full time. The brownage runs are very effective and run good. It would make sense to merge the brown and orange lines into one line and make that one line all 2600s and put every 3200 on the blue line. If this were to happen do you think CTA would make it the brown line or make it the orange line if it were to be a one line kimball to midway? 

The problem is which way do you run the trains through the Loop.  I suppose Lake and Wabash in both directions,  but many riders on both lines  use Wells and Van Buren stations.  I suppose those  Brown Line passengers can transfer to Purples at Mdse Mart.  Orange Line riders can transfer at Adams and Wabash to Pink or Purple trains.

The other problem is frequency.   Peak Orange Line trains run erry 7 to 8 minutes while peak Brown run every 3 minutes.   Brownange trains run out of operational necessity.   Both lines were designed to run around the Loop.