CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

18 hours ago, BusHunter said:

In time like I say blue is probably getting new cars last anyway

Until they build substations and do a major overhaul south from Racine towards Forest Park, the Blue Line isn’t getting any new equipment nor having 5000s run on a consistent basis. The track conditions are at an alarming rate of deterioration.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, garmon757 said:

Until they build substations and do a major overhaul south from Racine towards Forest Park, the Blue Line isn’t getting any new equipment nor having 5000s run on a consistent basis. The track conditions are at an alarming rate of deterioration.

I agree I just hope the track don't break apart as back as it is some trains be doing 2 mph & have to come to a complete stop for the alarm to go off

• 1 month later...
On 3/15/2020 at 4:43 PM, Javi78 said:

When is someone going to update the L car roster page, there’s been major changes, there is a heavier presence of 2600s on the brown line and 3200s on the blue line. 

5001 to 5202 are on Green but they go to Pink from time to time. I do not know where the purple interior cars that were on Green went to, I didn't see them for a month.

• 3 months later...
On 7/2/2012 at 11:54 PM, sw4400 said:

Rosters moved to the "CTA "L" Rosters" thread for easier locating...

Red Line:(Updated 7/1/20)

2600-Series Cars(Budd Company/Transit America 1981-1987)

No Cars assigned to this Line

3200-Series Cars(Morrison-Knudsen 1991-1994)

No Cars assigned to this Line

5000-Series Cars(Bombardier Transit Corporation 2009-2015)

(406 Cars Total)

5217-5218

5227-5400

5501-5516

5527-5714

7000-Series Cars(CSR Sifang America JV 2019-2022)

Prototype Planned To Be Delivered In 2019

Purple Line also borrows Red Line equipment on occasion

Photos copyright © Chicago-l.org. Off-site Photos copyrighted to their respective owners.

2009 Bombardier Rail Cars.jpg

On 2/8/2020 at 9:23 AM, garmon757 said:

3293 3295 3389 3391 3393 and 3405 Blue Line

I hope they eventually equip the Blue with all 3200s and no more 2600s. Along with the Brown, send 2600s them back to other lines like the Red, Orange lines

2 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

I hope they eventually equip the Blue with all 3200s and no more 2600s. Along with the Brown, send 2600s them back to other lines like the Red, Orange lines

Why would you send 2600s, the cars with the lowest passenger capacity among those currently in service, to the Red line, the busiest line in the system?

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Even if every 3200 series car went to the Blue Line, there wouldn't be enough cars for the line.  The Orange Line is already all 2600 series. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

Why would you send 2600s, the cars with the lowest passenger capacity among those currently in service, to the Red line, the busiest line in the system?

9 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

Let alone the oldest which would make the red line even more unreliable than it is. Do you have justification for 2600s aside from "I just wanna see new equipment at FG and Blue Line"? CTA already has done as much as they can to distribute new equipment where it belongs so unless you can pay for the comed bill to power newer equipment just gotta wait. ? When the 7000's come in along with whatever comes in to replace 1000's and the rest of the 6400's the average fleet age will be relatively even across the city  with them rotating equipment better 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, CTA5750 said:

There are talks about working with Blue, Red, Green, Brown, and Orange Lines about car assignments. The Blue Line are supposed to get the remaining 3200s from the Brown Line by the end of this year in an equal exchange for the 2600s and possibly receive up to 100-120 5000s from Red and Green Lines when there’s a good amount of 7000s on the rails. Brown and Orange Lines are projected be fully 2600s around next year to ease on the mileage and preparation for retirement due to the fact that it’s easy and efficient to transfer all of them to Skokie Shops for scrapping preparations. 7000s are projected to officially begin service on Red, Purple, Orange, and Brown Lines around 2022,  between 50-100 percent completion of the RPM Project, or after testing on all lines in which I don’t have an official date yet. Keep in mind that the Blue Line cannot receive the 7000s until there are sufficient amount of substations on the Congress Branch and/or a major overhaul of the entire branch (also applies to the 5000s). The majority of the branch are beyond grave conditions and it might take quite some time to develop a massive project similar to both Red South and RPM Projects. 

1 hour ago, garmon757 said:

There are talks about working with Blue, Red, Green, Brown, and Orange Lines about car assignments. The Blue Line are supposed to get the remaining 3200s from the Brown Line by the end of this year in an equal exchange for the 2600s and possibly receive up to 100-120 5000s from Red and Green Lines when there’s a good amount of 7000s on the rails. Brown and Orange Lines are projected be fully 2600s around next year to ease on the mileage and preparation for retirement due to the fact that it’s easy and efficient to transfer all of them to Skokie Shops for scrapping preparations. 7000s are projected to officially begin service on Red, Purple, Orange, and Brown Lines around 2022,  between 50-100 percent completion of the RPM Project, or after testing on all lines in which I don’t have an official date yet. Keep in mind that the Blue Line cannot receive the 7000s until there are sufficient amount of substations on the Congress Branch and/or a major overhaul of the entire branch (also applies to the 5000s). The majority of the branch are beyond grave conditions and it might take quite some time to develop a massive project similar to both Red South and RPM Projects. 

Will Red Line still have 5000 series when 7000s arrive?

On 7/2/2020 at 7:26 AM, CTA5750 said:

They will most likely get them all but that will be when the brown and orange line gets #7000's. Then they'll have to deal with what do they do with AC trains and a broke down Forest Pk roadbed. I see the line closing down for a little bit for an extensive rehab.

On 7/2/2020 at 10:50 PM, garmon757 said:

You can include the yellow line with #7000's, no way will it run with incompatible cars from Red and Purple. So it sounds like the game plan is to run #5000's on green and Blue and pink. That means the west side will have all the older equipment and the NW side. I'm not surprised the nw side hasn't had new cars in 40 years so why not make it 70 or 80. I still say it was a bad decision to make those cars (#5000 and #7000s)  incompatible with each other. One day something will happen and each series won't be able to sub for the other. Putting red line cars on Blue is bad also high mileage cars to a high mileage line. Probably i'd get Blue the Green and Purple line #5000's. Put the Red #5000s on Pink 100 cars let them rotate and get in good shape and then if they please they could go to the blue. Something needs to offset the red line miles. BTW, orders are going out for the #5000 rehabs, so soon that will start.

7 hours ago, BusHunter said:

You can include the yellow line with #7000's, no way will it run with incompatible cars from Red and Purple. So it sounds like the game plan is to run #5000's on green and Blue and pink. That means the west side will have all the older equipment and the NW side. I'm not surprised the nw side hasn't had new cars in 40 years so why not make it 70 or 80. I still say it was a bad decision to make those cars (#5000 and #7000s)  incompatible with each other. One day something will happen and each series won't be able to sub for the other. Putting red line cars on Blue is bad also high mileage cars to a high mileage line. Probably i'd get Blue the Green and Purple line #5000's. Put the Red #5000s on Pink 100 cars let them rotate and get in good shape and then if they please they could go to the blue. Something needs to offset the red line miles. BTW, orders are going out for the #5000 rehabs, so soon that will start.

I was about to say mid-life rehabs on the 5000s but yeah, can’t couple 5s and 7s due to two different technologies and systems. It wouldn’t be a good idea in this era at all. 

2 hours ago, garmon757 said:

I was about to say mid-life rehabs on the 5000s but yeah, can’t couple 5s and 7s due to two different technologies and systems. It wouldn’t be a good idea in this era at all. 

10 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Aw they starting the mid life rehabs to keep them running for another 30 years