CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

18 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

lmaoooo

19 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I know.  You went to the Chicago L group on Facebook to ask the same question I just answered for you.

Welp considering the increase in violation of guidelines, garage rumor and lack of moderation occuring here had to get a source that had more reliable members ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/22/2020 at 5:56 PM, joechicago said:

Ugh, we don’t need more of the crappy 2600s on the Brown line.

Well the blue line needs it they need more reliable cars & people up north get everything they ask for anyways so north side people can stop complaining the 2600's will get less work there & the orange line so they good there the 32-3300's fresh off a rehab so they need to be stretched

2 minutes ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Well the blue line needs it they need more reliable cars & people up north get everything they ask for anyways so north side people can stop complaining the 2600's will get less work there & the orange line so they good there the 32-3300's fresh off a rehab so they need to be stretched

Maybe they should see about sendng brown 2600s to green in exchange for their 5000's cause being #3 brown shouldn't be relying so much on 2600's themselves unless enough 3200 remain for base service

I feel like eventually CTAs going to make the brown line all 2600s well 3441-3456 and 3457-3458 will still be on the brown line just because they can’t fit in the kimball subway and blue line doesn’t want 3457-3458.  But the 7000s are coming soon enough to where the 2600s won’t stick around long on the brown line. With the 7000s would CTA really pick up all options and give the 3200s an early retirement? CTA spent 3 years rehabbing the 3200s costing millions of dollars, there would’ve been no point to rehab the 3200s at all if they get replaced in the early 2020s. 400 7000s is enough to get rid of the remaining 2600s, the fleet would just be short 110 cars, but they can make up for that because somewhere among red, orange and purple someone has more cars than what they actually need. 

3 minutes ago, Javi78 said:

I feel like eventually CTAs going to make the brown line all 2600s well 3441-3456 and 3457-3458 will still be on the brown line just because they can’t fit in the kimball subway and blue line doesn’t want 3457-3458.  But the 7000s are coming soon enough to where the 2600s won’t stick around long on the brown line. With the 7000s would CTA really pick up all options and give the 3200s an early retirement? CTA spent 3 years rehabbing the 3200s costing millions of dollars, there would’ve been no point to rehab the 3200s at all if they get replaced in the early 2020s. 400 7000s is enough to get rid of the remaining 2600s, the fleet would just be short 110 cars, but they can make up for that because somewhere among red, orange and purple someone has more cars than what they actually need. 

Wouldnt be a waste of money to retire 3200 just cause of a recent rehab. Thats just for life extension. If thats the case cta is looking too early for replacements for the 1000's that just got rehab and rebuilt. Just trying to avoid equipment failures

21 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

Wouldnt be a waste of money to retire 3200 just cause of a recent rehab. Thats just for life extension. If thats the case cta is looking too early for replacements for the 1000's that just got rehab and rebuilt. Just trying to avoid equipment failures

CTA needs to retire the rest of the 6400s before they even think of retiring another bus series. Unless they get a deal on crazy big order like they did with the 1000s. But back to the rail cars, with 846 7000s series cars if all options are picked up there’s going to be surplus rail cars, which line would get extra rail cars?

1 hour ago, Javi78 said:

I would guess that if all the 7000s options are picked, the 3200s would become work cars and the 2400s would be scrapped. I can also imagine that even if CTA does pick up all the options, they might still keep the 3200s in revenue service because some lines might get frequency boosts.

2 hours ago, Javi78 said:

CTA needs to retire the rest of the 6400s before they even think of retiring another bus series. Unless they get a deal on crazy big order like they did with the 1000s. But back to the rail cars, with 846 7000s series cars if all options are picked up there’s going to be surplus rail cars, which line would get extra rail cars?

84 for the red line extension, 20 tph after belmont flyover work would be 160 extra although some might come from existing trains on the road already so maybe 60-ish? Blue line may not get a surplus from a frequency increase due to short turns being the source of an increase. Maybe orange if brown for some reason needs a frequency increase which would make midway need more to support the brown line. Everywhere else seems to have their surplus. 

4 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Maybe they should see about sendng brown 2600s to green in exchange for their 5000's cause being #3 brown shouldn't be relying so much on 2600's themselves unless enough 3200 remain for base service

Hey if they do they do IDC it ain't the first time we got run down equipment & it won't be the last cuz I know cta gone do whatever they want 

22 minutes ago, Shannon CVPI said:

Hey if they do they do IDC it ain't the first time we got run down equipment & it won't be the last cuz I know cta gone do whatever they want 

I wouldnt be against it since green and pink are light lines. Red would still have 5000s so it wouldnt be all ran down 

26 minutes ago, Sam92 said:

I wouldnt be against it since green and pink are light lines. Red would still have 5000s so it wouldnt be all ran down 

That seems like the logical thing to do, send all of the green and pink lines 5000s to the brown line and make green and pink all 2600s. The busier line deserves the newest cars. Put every 3200 with the exception of 3441-3458 on the blue line since that’s the second busiest line. People forget the brown line is the third busiest line in the system. Idk why pink and green line got 5000s in the first place, with them being longitudinal seating you would put those cars on the two busiest lines. If the blue lines infrastructure was better quality, the CTA should’ve made red and blue all 5000s and still left the brown line all 3200s, orange 3200s and 2600s and pink, green, purple and yellow with 2600s. 

6 hours ago, Javi78 said:

I feel like eventually CTAs going to make the brown line all 2600s well 3441-3456 and 3457-3458 will still be on the brown line just because they can’t fit in the kimball subway 

This may be a dumb question, but if need be couldn't the roof boards just be removed? Didn't some cars already have them removed?

5 hours ago, Javi78 said:

CTA needs to retire the rest of the 6400s before they even think of retiring another bus series. Unless they get a deal on crazy big order like they did with the 1000s.

I've heard they're looking at a contract for ~300 new diesel buses, which would replace the 6400s and the oldest of the 1000s. Not to mention upcoming electric test orders that are almost certain to happen.

7 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I would think the game plan would be to make the 2600s belly cars with the 3200s on the ends, similar to what the Blue Line did with the 2200s.   Plus, if you make the Brown Line 5000s (which they won't), you would also have to make the Orange Line 5000s.  The Pink and Green 5000s don't have enough cars to swap with Brown and Orange.   While Brown is a busier Line passenger wise, the 2600s would be doing more work on the Pink and Green Lines.  Brown can ru some 2600 series consists during Rush hour only,  giving those cars ample rest during midday. Nights, and weekends,  which couldn't happen on Pink or Green. 

3 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I would think the game plan would be to make the 2600s belly cars with the 3200s on the ends, 

That's a bad idea and something Blue Line supervision does not want to do because in the event of a 2600 in that consist breaking down, there's no point in having 3200s on the Blue if they're not running by themselves.  Keep the two fleets separate!

15 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

That's a bad idea and something Blue Line supervision does not want to do because in the event of a 2600 in that consist breaking down, there's no point in having 3200s on the Blue if they're not running by themselves.  Keep the two fleets separate!

I understand what you are saying.   But I have personally seen a mixed consist on the Brown Line,  although it was 6 3200s and 2 2600s (3457/8 weren't in this consist).  Because of the lack of space in Kimball Yard. they may not be able to make 2600s belly cars, but I still won't be surprised to see some more mixed consists there.   It is different in that the 2200s weren't ADA accessible so each 3200 series pair had to have a 2600 series pair coupled with them.  

4 hours ago, WCR said:

This may be a dumb question, but if need be couldn't the roof boards just be removed? Didn't some cars already have them removed?

I've heard they're looking at a contract for ~300 new diesel buses, which would replace the 6400s and the oldest of the 1000s. Not to mention upcoming electric test orders that are almost certain to happen.

Too bad RTA didn't order the New Flyers that Pace ordered.   The RTA might have been able to order enough for Pace and CTA.  I think the 8000s and 9600s is the only order RTA ever made for CTA and the suburban agencies simultaneously.   Also unfortunate that Pace didn't add any options that it could use itself or transfer to CTA.

9 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I understand what you are saying.   But I have personally seen a mixed consist on the Brown Line,  although it was 6 3200s and 2 2600s (3457/8 weren't in this consist).  Because of the lack of space in Kimball Yard. they may not be able to make 2600s belly cars, but I still won't be surprised to see some more mixed consists there.   It is different in that the 2200s weren't ADA accessible so each 3200 series pair had to have a 2600 series pair coupled with them.  

Yeah it's true Ravenswood does mix their consists.  The way they work is very different than the Blue Line however because of the line's needs.  Brown Line is a much less heavy line in contrast to the Blue Line.  They don't have to worry about constant failures because the railcars don't take much of a beating.  The Blue Line's goal is to strategically make the trains break down less and cause less delays, since it's a very heavy line.

1 hour ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Yeah it's true Ravenswood does mix their consists.  The way they work is very different than the Blue Line however because of the line's needs.  Brown Line is a much less heavy line in contrast to the Blue Line.  They don't have to worry about constant failures because the railcars don't take much of a beating.  The Blue Line's goal is to strategically make the trains break down less and cause less delays, since it's a very heavy line.

Most definitely agree with you bro cuz as we all seen in the last few years blue line was having alot of breakdowns

13 hours ago, Sam92 said:

I'm not against it either, under the condition the available number of cars for both lines somehow increases. What bothered me about the Green Line when I rode it on a regular basis was that 6 car trains just didn't seem to be enough during rush hour. Although I never regularly rode the Pink Line, from what I've heard the same seems to apply to their 4 car trains.

6 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I completely agree with the points you bring up, however one thing I remember is that when the 2400s started appearing on the Red Line before they ended their service lives on the Orange Line, they were mixed in with the 2600s. Maybe mechanical reliability wasn't expected to be as big of an issue with the somewhat newer 2400s (compared to the 2200s), but since we are talking about the busy Red Line, I would still expect it to be important. Or some other factor I didn't think about had led to mixed consists.

15 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Why can’t kimball yard do like the blue line and keep 2600s and 3200s separate, when the 2600s are sent to kimball yard, they’re sent in consists of 4 cars, sometimes 8 cars. Have one side of the yard 2600s and the other side 3200s. With the brown line getting 50 more 2600s that puts it at 72 2600s and 102 3200s. That’s 9 8 car 2600s and 12 8 car 3200s. Only run 2600s during rush period and sit them at the garage at off peak times. 

On 1/22/2020 at 5:56 PM, joechicago said:

Ugh, we don’t need more of the crappy 2600s on the Brown line.

The Blue line has paid its dues with decades of using beat up equipment. Bring all the 3200s to the Blue! Time for some rehabbed newbies! 

On 1/26/2020 at 12:06 PM, Javi78 said:

Why can’t kimball yard do like the blue line and keep 2600s and 3200s separate, when the 2600s are sent to kimball yard, they’re sent in consists of 4 cars, sometimes 8 cars. Have one side of the yard 2600s and the other side 3200s. With the brown line getting 50 more 2600s that puts it at 72 2600s and 102 3200s. That’s 9 8 car 2600s and 12 8 car 3200s. Only run 2600s during rush period and sit them at the garage at off peak times. 

That's too much to do especially when the 2600's are still running fine no need to separate them. Besides as a life long cta rail fan it's always good to see 2 different cars coupled together the Brown Line is literally the only line and probably the last 1 to do this so we gotta appreciate that while it last cause one day it'll be over. 5000's and 7000's cant electrically be coupled together. The 2600's and 3200's look good together ????.

• Upvote 3

So whatever happened to this so called commitment CTA made a long time ago of having a 100 percent compatible rail car fleet?  Wasant this is one of the main reasons the Skokie Swift was converted to third rail?  Makes no sense at all