CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I saw some 5203 and higher cars on the blue line.

You did.  What we are telling you is those cars are coming from 54th Yard.  They are technically assigned to the Pink Line and have Pink Line run numbers.  They only run rush trips between Racine and Jefferson Park  on the Blue Line.  Those cars came to 54th grom the Red Line.

5 hours ago, Sam92 said:

The blue line 5000's are from 54th therefpre not assigned to blue

1 hour ago, Erin Mishkin Jr. said:

I saw some 5203 and higher cars on the blue line.

Cars 5203-5216 and 5219-5226 are assigned to the Blue Line and run during rush hours. They're stationed at 54th/Cermak but are assigned to blue. I've seen them do runs to Jefferson Park then terminate and deadhead back to 54th.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, WCR said:

Cars 5203-5216 and 5219-5226 are assigned to the Blue Line and run during rush hours. They're stationed at 54th/Cermak but are assigned to blue. I've seen them do runs to Jefferson Park then terminate and deadhead back to 54th.

If they are stationed at 54th, then, as everyone else has stated on this forum (search back in other topics when this info was first disseminated), they are assigned to the Pink Line. They do Pink Line runs at other times.

Also, consider the implications of what you're saying. That's like saying 50xx-50xx is stored at Kimball, but do runs on the Green Line. The Blue Line tracks are not in a condition to support consistent 5000 series operation. The Blue has two regular services: O'Hare to Forest Park and O'Hare to UIC. To assign 5000s to the Blue Line, means you would have two trainsets sitting in the yard for ~20 hours a day, used for ~8 runs max, for less stops than any usual Blue Line train would make. That's a waste of resources, CTA wouldn't do that (I like to think xD). Ofc, happy to be wrong

2 hours ago, NewFlyerMCI said:

If they are stationed at 54th, then, as everyone else has stated on this forum (search back in other topics when this info was first disseminated), they are assigned to the Pink Line. They do Pink Line runs at other times.

Also, consider the implications of what you're saying. That's like saying 50xx-50xx is stored at Kimball, but do runs on the Green Line. The Blue Line tracks are not in a condition to support consistent 5000 series operation. The Blue has two regular services: O'Hare to Forest Park and O'Hare to UIC. To assign 5000s to the Blue Line, means you would have two trainsets sitting in the yard for ~20 hours a day, used for ~8 runs max, for less stops than any usual Blue Line train would make. That's a waste of resources, CTA wouldn't do that (I like to think xD). Ofc, happy to be wrong

Also another reason why blue can’t run 5000s is because of the congress branch....to many slow zones if you check the slow sone map on CTA web it will show you a lot of zones between Clinton and Forest Park that’s why 5000’s run to UIC and deadhead to 54th

9 hours ago, artthouwill said:

You did.  What we are telling you is those cars are coming from 54th Yard.  They are technically assigned to the Pink Line and have Pink Line run numbers.  They only run rush trips between Racine and Jefferson Park  on the Blue Line.  Those cars came to 54th grom the Red Line.

9 hours ago, WCR said:

Thanks for explaining it to me guys! I thought they were in the blue line yard but you clearly explained how they belong to the 54th yard.

The 5000s that operate as "special" Blue Line runs are "borrowed" from the Red Line. 

Seeing that power substation work is currently underway along the O'Hare branch, expect to see more 5000s transferred to the Blue Line in future picks. 

Service is beyond capacity between Logan Square and Clark/Lake along the Blue Line with passengers having to let numerous trains passby during the 7am until about 8:30 am rush hour segment.

7 hours ago, Juniorz said:

Seeing that power substation work is currently underway along the O'Hare branch, expect to see more 5000s transferred to the Blue Line in future picks. 

Not necessarily.  If substation work is finished on time, 7000s will go on the Blue.  I still have doubts of that, however, because of how bad the Congress branch is. 

CTA would not put 5000s on the Blue Line for this reason as well because it will damage the suspension.  The 5000s weigh more than the 2600s & 3200s and running them constantly can worsen the already terrible track conditions along the Ike.  

My smartest prediction is that Brown could get 7000s 1st and send more 3200s to Blue.  I'm not saying it will happen but that's just what I think could happen if CTA decides to hold it cause of much in bad condition the Congress line is.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Shannon CVPI said:

CTA needs to gone fix the Congress tracks if they wanna put the 7000 trains on it like let's be fr they fixed up the O'Hare branch wtf about the Congress branch 

Again, the CTA is waiting for IDOT to come up with a plan to rebuild the Ike so it can coordinate reconstructing the Congress branch accordingly.  No need to reconstruct that section, then after IDOT starts reconstructing the expressway, CTA has to reconstruct the branch again.

56 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Again, the CTA is waiting for IDOT to come up with a plan to rebuild the Ike so it can coordinate reconstructing the Congress branch accordingly.  No need to reconstruct that section, then after IDOT starts reconstructing the expressway, CTA has to reconstruct the branch again.

CTA own the congress branch (middle part where blue line trains run) CTA didn’t wait for the Red line south reconstruction project and also IDOT already started construction on the Congress branch starting at UIC 

5 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

CTA own the congress branch (middle part where blue line trains run) CTA didn’t wait for the Red line south reconstruction project and also IDOT already started construction on the Congress branch starting at UIC 

There was no Dan Ryan project to wait on for 1. 2: the reason theyre waiting on the Eisenhower is due to the fact that the layout of the expressway might change which means the movement of tracks so considering the track layout might be changed, might as well wait to minimize issues

1 hour ago, Sam92 said:

There was no Dan Ryan project to wait on for 1. 2: the reason theyre waiting on the Eisenhower is due to the fact that the layout of the expressway might change which means the movement of tracks so considering the track layout might be changed, might as well wait to minimize issues

In particular IDOT would love to get rid of the left hand exits and entrances at Harlem and Oak Park. Given the amount of traffic on I-290 they are dangerous. This might impact the cta ROW to the south of the expressway.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

Oh dam didn't never know that see I was thinking they have all that room just rip the track up and lay it back down like the did the green line between Cicero & Harlem & like the redline

6 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Pretty sure that construction is part of the interchange project and not related to IDOT plans for farther down the Eisenhower

https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Construction-on-Jane-Byrne-Interchange-Could-Last-Until-2022-IDOT-502379171.html

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2019 at 9:49 PM, chicagocubs6323 said:

Not necessarily.  If substation work is finished on time, 7000s will go on the Blue.  I still have doubts of that, however, because of how bad the Congress branch is. 

CTA would not put 5000s on the Blue Line for this reason as well because it will damage the suspension.  The 5000s weigh more than the 2600s & 3200s and running them constantly can worsen the already terrible track conditions along the Ike.  

My smartest prediction is that Brown could get 7000s 1st and send more 3200s to Blue.  I'm not saying it will happen but that's just what I think could happen if CTA decides to hold it cause of much in bad condition the Congress line is.

Which will clearly happen way before a 7000 hits the rails, then you'll have a testing period which could roll into 2021, 2022, so a 5000, even just for a short turn, would be feasible for the near future plus you have to think about capacity, which the 5000s have in it's current configuration instead of the 7000s, which is geared towards being more comfort orientated. 

7 hours ago, Juniorz said:

Which will clearly happen way before a 7000 hits the rails, then you'll have a testing period which could roll into 2021, 2022, so a 5000, even just for a short turn, would be feasible for the near future plus you have to think about capacity, which the 5000s have in it's current configuration instead of the 7000s, which is geared towards being more comfort orientated. 

7000’s won’t arrive until next year the congress branch will hopefully be fully renewed by then and if that’s the case 7000’s will be going to blue and 2600’s retire the 3200’s are like new since the rehab so expect them to be around 5-10 more years 

2 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

7000’s won’t arrive until next year the congress branch will hopefully be fully renewed by then

You can't say Congress WILL be renewed by then.  We wish it could be, though.  I won't believe anything until CTA says work is officially being done.  I'm hoping they shut it down like the Dan Ryan line, send Blue to 54th Ave, add Green Line "Loop" trains for extra service.  Until then, I doubt Blue will get 7000s. 

I predict Brown will get them 1st and will send more 3200s to Blue.  But we'll see what happens after CTA tests the prototypes on all 8 lines.  

11 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

You can't say Congress WILL be renewed by then.  We wish it could be, though.  I won't believe anything until CTA says work is officially being done.  I'm hoping they shut it down like the Dan Ryan line, send Blue to 54th Ave, add Green Line "Loop" trains for extra service.  Until then, I doubt Blue will get 7000s. 

I predict Brown will get them 1st and will send more 3200s to Blue.  But we'll see what happens after CTA tests the prototypes on all 8 lines.  

What the hell does the green line have to do with the congress branch and why send green line to loop if it has nothing to do with the renewal they might knock down the pink line 

33 minutes ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

What the hell does the green line have to do with the congress branch and why send green line to loop if it has nothing to do with the renewal they might knock down the pink line 

The Green Line can help provide extra service, at least during rush hour, on the Lake Street line to help connect Blue Line riders to the west side while Congress is being rebuilt.  That's why I said add "Looper" trains.  Keep running regular service on the Green Line but add extra trains that go to the Loop only and back to Harlem.  

And what do you mean by "knock down the Pink Line"?

45 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

The Green Line can help provide extra service, at least during rush hour, on the Lake Street line to help connect Blue Line riders to the west side while Congress is being rebuilt.  That's why I said add "Looper" trains.  Keep running regular service on the Green Line but add extra trains that go to the Loop only and back to Harlem.  

And what do you mean by "knock down the Pink Line"?

If they add service on the green to the loop that’s going to add More traffic jams in the loop as much as there is currently with trains every minute and what I mean by knock the pink line down is take the pink line out of service and add blue to 54th 

1 hour ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

If they add service on the green to the loop that’s going to add More traffic jams in the loop as much as there is currently with trains every minute and what I mean by knock the pink line down is take the pink line out of service and add blue to 54th 

Except that the CTA likely won't do that. More than likely, the CTA will instead terminate more runs at UIC/Halsted and send fewer runs west of that if and when reconstruction of the Ike begins.

In addition, there may be periods of temporary but longer-term closures over large portions of the Forest Park branch during this reconstruction period.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RJL6000 said:

Except that the CTA likely won't do that. More than likely, the CTA will instead terminate more runs at UIC/Halsted and send fewer runs west of that if and when reconstruction of the Ike begins.

In addition, there may be periods of temporary but longer-term closures over large portions of the Forest Park branch during this reconstruction period.

Point proven 

5 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

Point proven 

Let me stop you right there lol

6 hours ago, RJL6000 said:

Terminating trains at UIC-Halsted is a big hassle with trains coming in every two minutes during rush hour.  It's a bad move because that turnover track cannot handle that many trains.  I know this because it takes about 5 minutes for a motorman to walk the train, as they are supposed to do, and make sure there are no passengers on all 8 cars!  During that time, there are two trains waiting directly behind it and it will cause delays.  MAJOR DELAYS!!  Every train behind has to do the same thing!!  ??  UIC-Halsted just cannot handle all that.  It's not a proper / efficient terminal.  Chris Fisher, A Rail Supervisor from Forest Park, has complained bout these trains before  on the Chicago "L" group on Facebook.

I wouldn't get rid of Pink Line service either because if you take the Congress line out of service, a lot of people need alternatives or else they are stranded.  The Douglas line would need to support Blue Line riders as well so running Pink Line trains along with Blue can be done.  

The extra Green Line Loop trains can run counter-clockwise on Brown Line Outer Loop tracks to reduce the traffic on the already congested inner loop track during rush hours.  

• Upvote 1