CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

Just now, Pink Jazz said:

I previously mentioned that CTA may run a common fleet on Blue, Green, and Pink, and this appears to be what CTA is hinting at.  It appears that Green/Blue/Pink will operate with 5000s while Red/Purple/Yellow/Orange/Brown will operate with 7000s once all cars are delivered.

CTA cannot run 5000’s past racine the CB needs to be rebuilt like the dan ryan in order for CTA to run 5000’s or 7000’s on that part of the line

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mr.NewFlyer1051 said:

CTA cannot run 5000’s past racine the CB needs to be rebuilt like the dan ryan in order for CTA to run 5000’s or 7000’s on that part of the line

Eh I think if enough cars come in and the power is upgraded 5000's might end up there due to sheer numbers if the track and road bed isn't fixed. 5000's showed up on the red line before it was rebuilt, the timing was jsut more of a coincidence and it was preferred to not have 5000's en mass on the red until the Dan Ryan was finished but even if there wasn't funding I'm pretty sure red would have got the 5000's still because everything else (power and signal) was redone not too long before

17 hours ago, Sam92 said:

Eh I think if enough cars come in and the power is upgraded 5000's might end up there due to sheer numbers if the track and road bed isn't fixed. 5000's showed up on the red line before it was rebuilt, the timing was jsut more of a coincidence and it was preferred to not have 5000's en mass on the red until the Dan Ryan was finished but even if there wasn't funding I'm pretty sure red would have got the 5000's still because everything else (power and signal) was redone not too long before

Remember 2 things.  First,  CTA said they wouldn't assign 5000s to the Red Line unless they could shut down the Dan Ryan branch to rebuild it.  Second, the Red Line service was rerouted to Ashand/63 while the 5000s were being assigned to the Red Line.   

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

Remember 2 things.  First,  CTA said they wouldn't assign 5000s to the Red Line unless they could shut down the Dan Ryan branch to rebuild it.  Second, the Red Line service was rerouted to Ashand/63 while the 5000s were being assigned to the Red Line.   

I mean they SAID that but I remember they started had a good 44 cars by the time the shutdown happened. They just happened to finish while on the reroute

On 7/16/2020 at 6:18 PM, Sam92 said:

I mean they SAID that but I remember they started had a good 44 cars by the time the shutdown happened. They just happened to finish while on the reroute

They went ahead and started assembling them because they knew they had the shutdown plan in place.  If the Forest Park branch were to be shortened to UIC or rerouted to the Punk Line with a definitive date for the branch shutdown, you will see 5000s or 7000s start to appear on the Blue Line.  Even after the O'Hare branch power upgrades are completed,  if enough 2600s go into disrepair,  you might see 5000s on the Blue Line still.  A scant few might run the full route, but I think they would try to limit those cars to service between UIC and ORD  For now the 3200s should so the trick   

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, scotthilly said:

I swear I just saw a Red Line train with 2600’s and 3200’s (3348 was the only number I for sure saw) at Fullerton.

what gives? Haven’t had 2600’s on there since the 5000’s.

I think you actually saw a BROWN Line teain.  The Brown Line has a mix of 2600s and 3200s.  Expect more 2600s to be added to the Brown Line as more 3200s head to the Blue Line.

25 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I think you actually saw a BROWN Line teain.  The Brown Line has a mix of 2600s and 3200s.  Expect more 2600s to be added to the Brown Line as more 3200s head to the Blue Line.

No, I swear it was Red and had Howard signs. It went over me headed north while I was walking south of Fullerton. I pulled up the CTA site and the tracker said a Howard train was approaching (like the one I saw) and the next brown was 8 mins.

4 hours ago, scotthilly said:

No, I swear it was Red and had Howard signs. It went over me headed north while I was walking south of Fullerton. I pulled up the CTA site and the tracker said a Howard train was approaching (like the one I saw) and the next brown was 8 mins.

When did you see the Train?

4 hours ago, scotthilly said:

Or it could be the fact the 5000s are pretty dirty right now and haven't been washed since last year.

2 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

Could've been 5348.  I can confuse a 3 and a 5 when looking at it from a distance.

I agree.  I also wondered if he possibly saw a Purple Line train going only to Howard.   It's possible he saw 2 different trains, a Brown Line train while he was on the street and a Red or Purple by the time he was on the platform. 

41 minutes ago, Shannoncvpi said:

Yea I always wondered how tf the red line trains get so dirty before the rest of em be looking old AF after a year or 2

24 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

The Red Line trains run in the middle of the Dan Ryan Expressway where the trains pick up mud, snow, salt from passing traffic. 

Not to mention 24/7 there and in the older of the two Chicago subway tunnels built. Also the Dan Ryan is the busiest highway in the state, especially when combined with the Kennedy. Fitting for the busiest CTA rail line, and I can only remember seeing bigger highways when I visited Los Angeles. More mess to go around, combined with less downtime for the rail cars to get some cleaning because of the operating hours.

20 hours ago, scotthilly said:

I swear I just saw a Red Line train with 2600’s and 3200’s (3348 was the only number I for sure saw) at Fullerton.

what gives? Haven’t had 2600’s on there since the 5000’s.

Do you remember if the car you saw was wrapped? Car 5348 on Red Line is wrapped. Maybe you mistaken a 5 with a 3.

5 hours ago, artthouwill said:

I agree.  I also wondered if he possibly saw a Purple Line train going only to Howard.   It's possible he saw 2 different trains, a Brown Line train while he was on the street and a Red or Purple by the time he was on the platform. 

Purple Line doesn't end at Howard going NB.

7 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

Technically no.  However there are some trips that do end at Howard.   Why?  I don't know.   But there's always been some downtown trips that ended at Howard.

When? I don't think NB Purple ends at Howard. How do you know?

49 minutes ago, artthouwill said:

I have seen them personally.   It's not a bunch, maybe one or two.  The last time I saw one was in the morning rush.  Don't remember when.

I wonder why? Do you know why car 5714, a Red Line car, operates on Purple Line at least 4 weeks?

1 hour ago, artthouwill said:

I have seen them personally.   It's not a bunch, maybe one or two.  The last time I saw one was in the morning rush.  Don't remember when.

On Purple Line schedule, no NB Train ends at Howard. I'd might check the AM Rush service on Train Tracker soon.