CTA 'L' Rosters

sw4400

32 minutes ago, Anthony Devera said:

I agree the Red Line is too heavy of a line to test the 7000s. But I don't think the Purple or Yellow Lines would be a good idea either, since it seems like CTA wants the Red, Purple, and Yellow lines to operate with the same type to make operations at Howard Yard easier. Maybe the Orange Line would be a good place to start; it's not a particularly heavy line, and if I remember correctly, it has the oldest 2600s. If not, the Green and Pink lines are another option, and I believe those were the first lines to run completely with 5000s.

Your idea about the 4 track transfer point at Racine is interesting. Were you thinking of short-turning trains at Racine similar to how trains are currently short-turned at UIC? Or were you thinking of breaking the Blue LIne into two parts there?

Also, is it feasible to shutdown and renovate the Forest Park branch the way the Dan Ryan was renovated in 2013? It might even be easier since there is more alternative service for the Forest Park branch. If such a thing happens, it definitely makes sense to run Blue Line trains to 54th/Cermak, and probably reduce frequency on the Pink Line while increasing frequency on the Lake Street branch of the Green Line.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

There gonna to have a big issue with the Forest Pk branch if indeed the rail conditions are screwing up the automated leveling of the 5000s. It sure seems funny we still have not seen 5000s on the forest pk line. 

I believe the Ike project was not supposed to start until the Jane Byrne interchange was completed. It's running way late supposed to be done by 2023, so they have their hands full. Forest pk will need a complete rebuild down to the ballast, so theres nothing they can do but run #3200s on it as long as they can. If they cant finish in time to receive #5000s CTA may have to get creative. Maybe either make Racine a temp 4 track transfer point or consider running blues to 54th/cermak. They actually have the real estate to do that at Racine. I wonder what the 7000 issues would be on the forest pk branch. They may end up there anyway if they are compatible with the forest pk issues. But blue will always be apart from the rest of the system so it will live up to its name the blue line. They need to play some muddy waters on the PA. 

I dont really understand putting 7000s on the red to start. That's got to be wrong. It's too demanding for an unproven new train. They should at least start them on the purple or yellow. They'll know alot more once the prototypes take trips along the main lines. 

5000's started testing on the red line and Turner's out fine. Makes sense to add 7000's to red first so the 5000's get a break

1 hour ago, Anthony Devera said:

I agree the Red Line is too heavy of a line to test the 7000s. But I don't think the Purple or Yellow Lines would be a good idea either, since it seems like CTA wants the Red, Purple, and Yellow lines to operate with the same type to make operations at Howard Yard easier. Maybe the Orange Line would be a good place to start; it's not a particularly heavy line, and if I remember correctly, it has the oldest 2600s. If not, the Green and Pink lines are another option, and I believe those were the first lines to run completely with 5000s.

Your idea about the 4 track transfer point at Racine is interesting. Were you thinking of short-turning trains at Racine similar to how trains are currently short-turned at UIC? Or were you thinking of breaking the Blue LIne into two parts there?

Also, is it feasible to shutdown and renovate the Forest Park branch the way the Dan Ryan was renovated in 2013? It might even be easier since there is more alternative service for the Forest Park branch. If such a thing happens, it definitely makes sense to run Blue Line trains to 54th/Cermak, and probably reduce frequency on the Pink Line while increasing frequency on the Lake Street branch of the Green Line.

Well I was thinking like a Indiana/Green line type stop back in the day where you had the 4 tracks and one fed in the direction of the branch line. You would probably have to make the blue through routed to 54th but if they were savvy they could short turn every 3rd train. If quick every 2 could help but they probably couldnt do it in the rush. They would need a horseshoe curve like Howard but theres probably not the money to do that. The forest pk would have to terminate at racine but I dont see why they couldnt through route a few trains. It would just be to buy time for a rehab project to start. They may have to do that anyway. Once you cut the forest pk yard off how do you maintain service? You could always build a mini yard from morgan middle to racine or even to ashland. Also do they do a line cut mid forest pk route or rehab the whole thing?  Probably the pink would still run but it might have to lose frequency or you may have train bunching. I dont think 54th could handle double service. 

Orange line I supposed could work for 7000s. I just figured you are close to skokie shops at Howard. The trains dont run so much on purple  and if there were real issues you could run them sparingly in the rush. Howard has equipment right there to borrow. The only drawback is Howard yard personnel may be too busy working on it's own equipment. So the examination process is greater at orange or pink. 

The 5000s TESTED first on the Red Line.  After testing on all rail lines *(including the Blue Line ), the 5000s were first assigned to the Pink Line,  followed by the Green Line and then the Red    I suppose the order of testing doesn't really matter.  The question is which Lines will get assigned the 7000s when testing is complete?

In a perfect world,  the first 400 would go straight to the Blue Line.  However,  with the horrible track conditions on the Forest Park branch with no clear timetable for reconstruction of the branch or the Ike, the Orange Line and the Brown Line may be the first lines to get them.

U don't know how bad the track conditions have to get before CTA is forced to shut it down.  Routing the Blue Line is 54/Cermak is easy and the Green Line is a superb alternative.  The question is whether CTA increases Blue Line short turns at UIC, reduces or suspends  Pink Line service ?  The 54/54/Cermak routing would allow the 5000s or 7000s to operate on the Blue Line until the Forest Park branch was rebuilt.

I've wondered if CTA could do a partial rebuild of the Forest Park branch out to Cicero.   The  crux if the Ike rebuild is between Central and Desplaines Ave. This assuming that IDOT has no plans to alter CTA track placement east of Laramie.  

• Upvote 1

When they did the ryan shutdown didnt they say that if they closed the whole line it would take a year to repair versus 3 months to do 55th to 95th? Theres the question do you want to shut it down for a year or not? I dont know the trains are coming where will they go? Talking about gridlock the ike is not really the fastest road around especially in oak park traffic. Gridllock will be high from the highway losing lanes and your asking a bus shuttle to join in? Madison has bike lanes putting parts of it at one lane around Ridgeland I believe. That backs up nasty in the rush. Roosevelt is really bad west of central. All you could really do is Jackson which could work but would the village complain about it cause it's kind of like a small suburban street to take heavy traffic in oak park. Theres also nasty curves around Harlem if your thinking artics so I dont know. It will be interesting when the time comes. 

27 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

When they did the ryan shutdown didnt they say that if they closed the whole line it would take a year to repair versus 3 months to do 55th to 95th? Theres the question do you want to shut it down for a year or not? I dont know the trains are coming where will they go? Talking about gridlock the ike is not really the fastest road around especially in oak park traffic. Gridllock will be high from the highway losing lanes and your asking a bus shuttle to join in? Madison has bike lanes putting parts of it at one lane around Ridgeland I believe. That backs up nasty in the rush. Roosevelt is really bad west of central. All you could really do is Jackson which could work but would the village complain about it cause it's kind of like a small suburban street to take heavy traffic in oak park. Theres also nasty curves around Harlem if your thinking artics so I dont know. It will be interesting when the time comes. 

When I mentioned partial shutdown,  iwas referring to the CTA  Blue Line.   I was thinking if emergency repairs were needed,it could be done up to Cicero  and the rest done whenever the Ike rebuild starts.  Shutting the entire branch west of Racine may be the best option long term. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Dan Ryan had gridlock too and the shuttles still used it ?

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

The good thing is that CTA won't need a bunch of shuttles.   They might need shuttles from Forest Park Blue Line station to Harlem Green Line station.  Most of the Forest Park branch stations serves Lines that also serve Green Line stations and some also serve Punk Line stations.

2 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

All of you realize CTA still has to test the cars on all 8 lines before putting them in service, right?

That's the consensus at cta according to Garmon and he should know. Starting a line that will take a year or so to complete also doesnt say much for the other lines. I'd only do that if the cars were in bad condition. They would have to  be worse than the #2600s which would be a stretch. Then if #5000s go to orange to retire 2600s how do they end up with 7000s? Too much transferring there. Probably they need to go where someone else will benefit off the receiving lines transfers. 

14 hours ago, artthouwill said:

The 5000s TESTED first on the Red Line.  After testing on all rail lines *(including the Blue Line ), the 5000s were first assigned to the Pink Line,  followed by the Green Line and then the Red    I suppose the order of testing doesn't really matter.  The question is which Lines will get assigned the 7000s when testing is complete?

In a perfect world,  the first 400 would go straight to the Blue Line.  However,  with the horrible track conditions on the Forest Park branch with no clear timetable for reconstruction of the branch or the Ike, the Orange Line and the Brown Line may be the first lines to get them.

U don't know how bad the track conditions have to get before CTA is forced to shut it down.  Routing the Blue Line is 54/Cermak is easy and the Green Line is a superb alternative.  The question is whether CTA increases Blue Line short turns at UIC, reduces or suspends  Pink Line service ?  The 54/54/Cermak routing would allow the 5000s or 7000s to operate on the Blue Line until the Forest Park branch was rebuilt.

10 hours ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

All of you realize CTA still has to test the cars on all 8 lines before putting them in service, right?

I guess you didn't see that was mentioned. 

29 minutes ago, chicagocubs6323 said:

I did see it.  It's just that all of you are going ahead of yourselves and overthinking everything.  

Speculation is part of the fun of being in this forum.  We know the 7000s have to go through a testing process .  We know the Blue Lune O'Hare branch is in the middle of a power upgrade and Forest Park branch is in needs of a complete rebuild,  but CTA must coordinate the latter with an IDOT rebuild of the Ike.  Eventually we will see what happens,  but speculation is still part of the fun.

• Upvote 2

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2020 at 2:44 AM, Marcin said:

A few more Updates are:

Red Line: 5201-5202, 5217-5218, 5227-5400, 5501-5516, 5527-5714

Blue Line: 5203-5216, 5219-5226 (stored at 54th Yard)

Yellow Line also has 5523-5526

Are the 5000 Blue cars still operating? Or are they on Pink?

Thanks for the updated assignments. However some cars are listed on two lines at once. For example 3267 to 3270 are under both Blue and Brown Lines

On 7/11/2020 at 1:58 PM, Anthony Devera said:

In addition to running the Blue to 54th/Cermak, instead of short turning  trains at UIC/Halsted or Racine, maybe you can short turn trains at IMD and make that a permanent thing after the Forest Park rebuild is over. Also, you could re-route trains via the Pink Line (Paulina Connector) to Lake St, build a new west connection and go west to Harlem/Lake via the Green Line. That way, customers can still have connections to all the North South bus routes on the West Side and Oak Park.

I previously mentioned that CTA may run a common fleet on Blue, Green, and Pink, and this appears to be what CTA is hinting at.  It appears that Green/Blue/Pink will operate with 5000s while Red/Purple/Yellow/Orange/Brown will operate with 7000s once all cars are delivered.