4300/4330-series DE60LF/D60LF - Updates

BusHunter

Those 100 buses were delivered between November and this month.

That still leaves the 208 buses from 2008-2009 that are still in service, serving the same routes that will continue to run the same service levels as today. Whether Kedzie keeps 4300s or winds up with only 4000s is irrelevant. There's a huge difference between Kedzie not having 4300s and Kedzie not having artics.

And that was my point in the other thread where this keeps popping up. CTA will have 100 more artics than what they had at the start of 4300 series deliveries late last year. If they want to have 100 artics ready for Red Line shuttle service all they have to do is go back to assigning artics for regular bus service the same way they assigned them before the 4300s started coming, of course with some tweaks since 145 is gone and 148 was restructured to operate part of what was 144, and use the surplus (whatever they may be given someone else's post a few weeks ago that they wanted hybrid artics only for the shuttles) for the shuttles. That can be accomplished by assigning artics from all four current artic garages to do shuttle bus work as I alluded to in the More Bus Moves thread. So that basically would mean routes like 26 and 143 that didn't operate with a lot of artics before the decrowd plan and the influx of 4300s go back to doing so while the shutdown is in effect. It may also mean that maybe the 148 go with a lot fewer artics in its PM rush half of the service day since it is in effect a merging of the 144 and it's original configuration, and 144 operated with few artics. Also 151 for example could go back to heavy artic use only on weekends and 135, 136, 146 and 147 return to a few more 1000 per route being used on trips that run in times that their passenger loads don't overwhelm a 40 foot bus. For 135 and 136, that usually translates to the last few trips as rush hour is winding down.

1. 4319 still on the fence at 77th, 4399 up and running on the fence getting ready for service

That was the bus that got the back half of one of it's roof spoilers/fins torn off.

Sounds like it's been there for a while. I presume despite half of one of the roof spoilers torn off, it'll be repaired soon. I mean it just went into service. New Flyer will most likely take the bus back to their factory in St. Cloud to repair it or send replacement parts down.

Last mention in this thread about it being by the fence at 77th was by ChicagoNova here. It was posted March 26th, so that bus has been out of service for nearly two months?

77th and 103 should be running those shuttles (and a separate pick should be assigned to them).

Which surprises me that no one posted a month ago based on a pick being held then. Maybe people now want to keep their jobs.

Ever since the start of the Red Line Reconstruction Project, 77th Garage has started using a few of its 4300s on routes where one would least expect them to run on. For example, one was spotted on King Drive a couple of days ago, and today 4332 was spotted on the #52A (South Kedzie) route.

Ever since the start of the Red Line Reconstruction Project, 77th Garage has started using a few of its 4300s on routes where one would least expect them to run on. For example, one was spotted on King Drive a couple of days ago, and today 4332 was spotted on the #52A (South Kedzie) route.

Yeah, it's been a long time since #52A has seen artics. I believe back when Archer had artics, some did run on the #52A, but that's over 20 years ago.

Artics were bound to be on the #3 at some point as busy as it is. im surprised the #4 took priority over King Drive, but then again the #4 tends to pick up crowds from downtown, U of C from the #2, 63rd at the Green Line, 79th and 87th. Maybe all drivers at 77th are finally trained for them? They were held and only implemented on Cottage Grove and 79th at first because of training purposes as someone said earlier in the thread

Artics were bound to be on the #3 at some point as busy as it is. im surprised the #4 took priority over King Drive, but then again the #4 tends to pick up crowds from downtown, U of C from the #2, 63rd at the Green Line, 79th and 87th. Maybe all drivers at 77th are finally trained for them? They were held and only implemented on Cottage Grove and 79th at first because of training purposes as someone said earlier in the thread

Have the operators at 77th changed that much since the last time that garage had 4000s a few years ago? Or do 4300s handle that much differently than 4000s?

Since the Dan Ryan project started the #29 has been running a few extra #4300's from Kedzie and 103rd. Earlier in the week some were destined for Roosevelt, yesterday I spotted one destined for Cermak and today to 95th. Buses seem to run in both directions. Also I couldn't help but notice a few more Bustracker signs on the bus shelters have been installed on loop bus shelters. There's one at all the State street shelters from State/Lake SB through Congress and Wacker/Michigan WB. There may be more new signs in other locations in the loop.

#4395 is on the #6 today. So all the #4300's have now went into service.

Has 4319 returned to service yet? I know there was discussion about it in this thread being out of service for a few months for missing half of a roof fin(I'm guessing a viaduct clearance issue and/or driver error).

Has 4319 returned to service yet? I know there was discussion about it in this thread being out of service for a few months for missing half of a roof fin(I'm guessing a viaduct clearance issue and/or driver error).

It came back the middle of last week, you would never know it had any damage.

Has 4319 returned to service yet? I know there was discussion about it in this thread being out of service for a few months for missing half of a roof fin(I'm guessing a viaduct ClarenceeservingI'm issue and/or driver error).

Happy to report that 4319 has indeed returned to service, I saw it today at 95th as I pulling in from doing my morning route. I can't remember exactly which route it was it was either R95 or R63. But yeah I believe all the 4300's should be in service now.