3200-series - Updates

sw4400

11 hours ago, briman94 said:

I was realizing last night...is there an alternating-current power line that runs the length of the train? They could send the run number signal over that. It's possible to send low-voltage digital signals over high-voltage AC lines; you can get internet in your house that works that way. They might be able to communicate over that line if there is one which would pass through the un-rehabbed cars unchanged.

There is an inverter, to run certain controls and the fluorescent lights (apparently gone), but is per car, as the requisition was for 261 of them.

14 minutes ago, Busjack said:

There is an inverter, to run certain controls and the fluorescent lights (apparently gone), but is per car, as the requisition was for 261 of them.

That was replacing an existing inverter though, so the old cars still have AC somewhere. The question is: is there some connection between cars? If there's any sort of line they can hijack, they could use that for the run number boxes :P

On 11/23/2015, 11:27:58, briman94 said:

I think the point of the LED run boxes was to make sure the rear car reads the right number...

Except that is NOT the right run number, 428 is a PM run and it there is to much sunlight.  On a weekday 428 departs Kimball at 4:24 PM and get to Tower 12 at 5:03 PM, on Saturday it run latter than that, not sure about on Sunday, might not even be a 428 on Sunday.

On 11/23/2015, 1:33:29, garmon757 said:

That train was indeed running 428.

1 minute ago, klabstep said:

Except that is NOT the right run number, 428 is a PM run and it there is to much sunlight.  On a weekday 428 departs Kimball at 4:24 PM and get to Tower 12 at 5:03 PM, on Saturday it run latter than that, not sure about on Sunday, might not even be a 428 on Sunday.

There's a logical contradiction here...

14 hours ago, klabstep said:

The question is what is the FIRST departure 428 has from Kimball.  Could it be possible that there was a trip prior to that?

On 11/27/2015, 12:58:42, artthouwill said:

The question is what is the FIRST departure 428 has from Kimball.  Could it be possible that there was a trip prior to that?

Yes that is the FIRST departure, otherwise I would NOT of posted it.  There are 34 or 35 runs out of Kimball, 28 would make it towards the end of the day.

1 hour ago, klabstep said:

Yes that is the FIRST departure, otherwise I would NOT of posted it.  There are 34 or 35 runs out of Kimball, 28 would make it towards the end of the day.

Usually the runs are structured so that they start around 1, like 301 in the morning and work their way up during the day. Like anything in the 320's is starting to get towards late evenings on the brown. It's that way for the buses too. Where there's crazy amounts of buses like on the #77, they are way up around #777 by the evenings rush. I don't know how high they go. You usually don't see runs that are like #790, but they have so many there it might be a possibility. I think where they share buses per garage per route they might start at 50, (like a #151) but that might be the only exception.

7 minutes ago, chgofan78 said:

On another note, has anyone seen 3213-3214?  I thought someone reported seeing them in Skokie Shops during the Yellow Line closure unless they are out as a Long-Term Hold.  Seems if they were out for rehab then they should be back in service.

No I haven't seen them, but yes they were in Skokie Shops, cause I saw them there. Also #3363-64 should be there as well as #3345-46 and whatever else was in that lone #3200 consist that was stranded at 98th yard a few months ago. I did see #3279-80 last night and it's definitely not rehabbed. It also doesn't have upgraded signs so Briman can take that off his list. I added a few more new LED signed #3200's to my list this morning like #3359-60 and #3347-48 as I was reading Garmon said they had the upgraded signs.

Strange I've seem to have lost #3289-90, it's no longer outside Kimball shop and it wasn't in service yesterday, so I don't know where it went. I took a look at kimball yard and didn't see it. I don't know if maybe it went back to Skokie?

3 hours ago, ArcherRider said:

I was wait for Purple Line train this morning I saw 3401-02 with the new LED running box but it already broken because it should read "402" but  it read 535  I thought the brown line have a new run "535" but train tracker say it run 402.

That would have to be an operator error; Brown Line runs would never be outside of the 400s, and almost never above 430 except on special occasions. There wouldn't be a "new run" for a line that didn't start with one of that line's prefixes.

3 hours ago, ArcherRider said:

I was wait for Purple Line train this morning I saw 3401-02 with the new LED running box but it already broken because it should read "402" but  it read 535  I thought the brown line have a new run "535" but train tracker say it run 402.

4 minutes ago, briman94 said:

That would have to be an operator error; Brown Line runs would never be outside of the 400s, and almost never above 430 except on special occasions. There wouldn't be a "new run" for a line that didn't start with one of that line's prefixes.

This is a Brown Line Express to Linden! xD

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, garmon757 said:

This is a Brown Line Express to Linden! xD

The Ravenston! they still exist i see!!!!!! For historical knowledge, The train operates out of Howard and turns into a Brown Line at Belmont and operates a round-trip to Kimball and the Loop. At Belmont, the train turns back into a Purple Line and operates to Howard via Purple Line Express

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, ArcherRider said:

That's Brown Line stock(3401-3402), so how could that considered a Ravenston? Maybe a Evansball or something, but the Ravenston/Brownage runs were created because of shortages on the Brown Line during rush hour due to lack of equipment/scheduled Rail Operators, or both. Purple Line has 5401-5500, which is new stock, they also reportedly borrow from the Red Line stock as well, so there shouldn't be any shortages there.

In all the years I've seen Ravenstons or Brownages running, it was with equipment from Linden or Midway Yards.

4 hours ago, sw4400 said:

That's Brown Line stock(3401-3402), so how could that considered a Ravenston? Maybe a Evansball or something, but the Ravenston/Brownage runs were created because of shortages on the Brown Line during rush hour due to lack of equipment/scheduled Rail Operators, or both. Purple Line has 5401-5500, which is new stock, they also reportedly borrow from the Red Line stock as well, so there shouldn't be any shortages there.

In all the years I've seen Ravenstons or Brownages running, it was with equipment from Linden or Midway Yards.

The 500 run number had nothing to do with an alternate route; it was just an operator programming error. The only "hybrid" route they run is Brown/Orange currently.

6 hours ago, sw4400 said:

I remember seeing alot of Ravenstons back when they had #6000's on the Ravenswood. i used to railfan with the #6000's in high school (circa '91) as back then the last two lines were Evanston Express and Ravenswood. I haven't seen any since then. They always seem to use the #6000's for that as Ravenswood would probably have not been caught dead sending them #2700's!! When evanston went with the #5-50's and the #6000's were retired that idea sort of died as those didn't go to the ravenswood. So we're talking 24 years ago.

2 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I remember seeing alot of Ravenstons back when they had #6000's on the Ravenswood. i used to railfan with the #6000's in high school (circa '91) as back then the last two lines were Evanston Express and Ravenswood. I haven't seen any since then. They always seem to use the #6000's for that as Ravenswood would probably have not been caught dead sending them #2700's!! When evanston went with the #5-50's and the #6000's were retired that idea sort of died as those didn't go to the ravenswood. So we're talking 24 years ago.

Last Ravenstons I remember seeing had to be in the 2000-2010 period, when I would catch a Brown Line between 7a-8a, and it would be a six-car train of 2400-Series cars from the Purple Line.