Clark/Division Red Line Rehab

BusHunter

I took a few pictures of the Clark/Division station on the Red line. At street level, on Lasalle, they already have concrete staircases in place and the big hole over Division has been filled. Looks like they want to open up the street for November. At platform level, they have now opened up an area on the east side of the station and we can now see the decorative ceiling tiles they are installing. They also have one light bar installed, and the marble sheeting on the floor of the station in that section. (pictures from left to right are: Lasalle SE corner, Lasalle NE corner, station ceiling, station lightbar, station floor)

post-304-0-89789200-1379908567_thumb.pngpost-304-0-07989700-1379908701_thumb.pngpost-304-0-89931600-1379908822_thumb.pngpost-304-0-71320400-1379908931_thumb.pngpost-304-0-32602000-1379909054_thumb.png

• Upvote 3

I took a few pictures of the Clark/Division station on the Red line. At street level, on Lasalle, they already have concrete staircases in place and the big hole over Division has been filled. Looks like they want to open up the street for November. ...

The main issue on whether they can open the street at LaSalle is whether completion is near for the new mezzanine and two elevators needed for ADA service (CTA page)

On a lighter note, I saw the "C" in the tiles, and thought, where did I see that before, which was Chicago (State).

They could easily just shore up the sidewalk areas on the east side of Lasalle, and open Division which is what I was alluding to. From what my pictures show, there doesn't seem to be an elevator shaft yet unless it's out of view. Alot of work now seems to transitioning to the underground phase.

When you look at the Clark mezzanine there doesn't appear to be any other way they could have made that station accessible, than to have an offsite mezzanine. If they do try to do North/Clybourn, and they probably will, they will have to do another excavation and do the same thing maybe this time having an accessible entrance at Halsted/Clybourn. That would only make Harrison and Monroe inaccessible and they could probably skip those for now.

..If they do try to do North/Clybourn, and they probably will, they will have to do another excavation and do the same thing maybe this time having an accessible entrance at Halsted/Clybourn. ....

The question posed when Apple redecorated North and Clybourn was whether that was enough to trigger ADA requirements, but apparently not.

Any other work there would depend on whether the Circle Line plan to make North and Clybourn the major transfer station and make the Brown/Purple Line a subway from west of Sedgwick to about the current junction south of Armitage is either finally alive or dead. As the station is currently configured, there is a large enough headhouse, but a similar issue to that at Chicago or Grand that the platforms are outside the tracks, and hence two elevators would be needed.

The question posed when Apple redecorated North and Clybourn was whether that was enough to trigger ADA requirements, but apparently not.

Any other work there would depend on whether the Circle Line plan to make North and Clybourn the major transfer station and make the Brown/Purple Line a subway from west of Sedgwick to about the current junction south of Armitage is either finally alive or dead. As the station is currently configured, there is a large enough headhouse, but a similar issue to that at Chicago or Grand that the platforms are outside the tracks, and hence two elevators would be needed.

If you go by the work being done on the Brown/Purple line to get rid of the slow zone.I think the subway west of Sedgwick is dead.

If you go by the work being done on the Brown/Purple line to get rid of the slow zone.I think the subway west of Sedgwick is dead.

The only question is if the city recognizes that, since, like the North-Red-Purple Project, they aren't doing anything with much of a service life.

The last official word from CTA was in Sept. 2009. The presentation indicates that, after having delayed the Alternatives Analysis for 3 years to kill Daley's Mid-City Line, they settled (page 20) on saying that either the Ashland-North Ave. or Ashland-Ogden alternatives were "Recommended for Long Term Vision," and the only locally preferred alternative was extending the Paulina Connector to Archer-Orange Line (page 22).

And that was 4 years ago.

The only question is if the city recognizes that, since, like the North-Red-Purple Project, they aren't doing anything with much of a service life.

The last official word from CTA was in Sept. 2009. The presentation indicates that, after having delayed the Alternatives Analysis for 3 years to kill Daley's Mid-City Line, they settled (page 20) on saying that either the Ashland-North Ave. or Ashland-Ogden alternatives were "Recommended for Long Term Vision," and the only locally preferred alternative was extending the Paulina Connector to Archer-Orange Line (page 22).

And that was 4 years ago.

As usual another project that there is no money for.

Quite honestly I thought the Circle Line idea was dead. And I forgot about the two alternative proposals of either building another L line near Cicero using an existing freight line right of way similar to how much of the Orange Line was constructed or initiating a Cicero BRT route, either of which would connect the Kimball Brown Line station to the 87th Dan Ryan station with the L line also extending the Paulina Connector to 35th/Archer as Busjack pointed out was part of the rail line proposals.

Quite honestly I thought the Circle Line idea was dead....

I'm sure that all the New Starts except for the 130th extension are dead, but as mk might put it, they have to call The Undertaker.

Getting closer to the topic, the question would be whether the Apple rennovation was sufficient, or, as BusHunter suggests, North and Clybourn needs work similar to what Clark and Division is getting.

I'm sure that all the New Starts except for the 130th extension are dead, but as mk might put it, they have to call The Undertaker.

Getting closer to the topic, the question would be whether the Apple rennovation was sufficient, or, as BusHunter suggests, North and Clybourn needs work similar to what Clark and Division is getting.

It doesn't sound like the Apple renovation was sufficient given the structure of the station. So that looks like another project that didn't go far enough the first time because of the lack of money available in the original project.

It doesn't sound like the Apple renovation was sufficient given the structure of the station. So that looks like another project that didn't go far enough the first time because of the lack of money available in the original project.

One can bet that the only money was that Apple provided.

Sufficient, at least for ADA purposes, would depend on the amount of alteration to the station. Apparently, at some point, if a certain amount of work is done, the station must be made ADA compliant.

Remember the Apple renovation was only for the station house not the actual station itself. The actual platforms and station components (escalators/facade/electrical) were never touched, besides tunnel cleaning and painting for more advertisements. Technically it was a "station renewal" until more T.I.F money can be identified for CDOT.

• Upvote 3

Remember the Apple renovation was only for the station house not the actual station itself. The actual platforms and station components (escalators/facade/electrical) were never touched, besides tunnel cleaning and painting for more advertisements. Technically it was a "station renewal" until more T.I.F money can be identified for CDOT.

If Emanuel reality wanted to use TIF money he would.If he can find money for DePaul and Walter Payton School.Til its made public how much TIF money there is no one knows.Expect he is using it to try to get reelected.

Also,as the Undertaker would say on the new starts being dead.Rest In Peace. :lol:

While were are on the subject of station/bus advertising, Sprint must have signed a big contract with CTA/Pace. Nearly all of the 40 foot NABI's at West have been wrapped for Sprint, yesterday I spotted CTA #1235, today a NP #1900 bus, and now I'm noticing that all advertising at Logan Square/Blue line is Sprint. They even went as far as only putting Sprint's advertising on the Titan TV screens at Logan Square. Now that's a sales blitz!! :lol:

• Upvote 2

While were are on the subject of station/bus advertising, Sprint must have signed a big contract with CTA/Pace. Nearly all of the 40 foot NABI's at West have been wrapped for Sprint, yesterday I spotted CTA #1235, today a NP #1900 bus, and now I'm noticing that all advertising at Logan Square/Blue line is Sprint. They even went as far as only putting Sprint's advertising on the Titan TV screens at Logan Square. Now that's a sales blitz!! :lol:

I noticed the same with the the FG and NP buses. I believe one of Kedzie's 40 foot NFs is done in a Sprint wrap as well but I can't remember which one it was. I remember spotting it in passing though not too long ago on either the 12 or the 157 in the UIC area.

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Was at Clark/Division red line today. Got a sneak peek at the Clark/Division entrance under construction, so of course I snapped some shots. Looks like those entrances are going to look just like the Harrison/State entrances, with the glass, as the old ones have been demolished. All the walls are gone down to the bare concrete. Should look nice when it's done.

post-304-0-68878900-1422682025_thumb.png

post-304-0-48745200-1422682034_thumb.png

• 2 months later...

Was at Clark/Division red line today. Got a sneak peek at the Clark/Division entrance under construction, so of course I snapped some shots. Looks like those entrances are going to look just like the Harrison/State entrances, with the glass, as the old ones have been demolished. All the walls are gone down to the bare concrete. Should look nice when it's done.

attachicon.gifclark-division subway entrance from the street 1-29-15.PNG

attachicon.gifclark-division subway entrance top of stair entrance.PNG

Got a sneak peak at the Clark entrance today. They have the new skyscraper tiles all the way up the stairs now where you see concrete in the picture above. They covered the entrance roof with a plastic see through wrap. The doors were flapping open in the wind. They should secure those better. They might have a rider one day enter through Clark!! :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This week they put up the Clark entrance canopies on the NW corner and SE. SW and NE haven't been done yet. I snapped some shots today. I was kind of surprised, i was expecting an entrance canopy similar to Harrison/Red line's Harrison entrance. Now where will they put the Titan sign? I was going to say that maybe they got those cause the La Salle entrance has them and it matches, but I believe the Polk entrance at Harrison has that same canopy entrance, so that doesn't match. Maybe Harrison was an experiment.

cta_clark_division_new_entrance_canopiescta_clark_division_new_entrance_canopies

• Upvote 1

This week they put up the Clark entrance canopies on the NW corner and SE. SW and NE haven't been done yet. I snapped some shots today. I was kind of surprised, i was expecting an entrance canopy similar to Harrison/Red line's Harrison entrance. Now where will they put the Titan sign? I was going to say that maybe they got those cause the La Salle entrance has them and it matches, but I believe the Polk entrance at Harrison has that same canopy entrance, so that doesn't match. Maybe Harrison was an experiment.

cta_clark_division_new_entrance_canopiescta_clark_division_new_entrance_canopies

​That looks somewhat like Chicago-State, while Harrison looks somewhat on the cheap.

I'm not sure why Harrison got a unique design, as the current city standard is this black pseudoVictorian design, installed in recent years at Dearborn/Jackson, Congress/LaSalle, and even at the Polk end of Harrison.  The new Harrison/State kiosk is too close to the curb, and the plate glass on the west sidewalk entrance is regularly scraped and shattered by truck or bus mirrors.  About half the time it's a steel-and-plywood design.

• Upvote 1