Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

CTA said that SB Purple Line Express trains will only stop at those stations in the AM rush.

I now get the question, which basically is whether Train Tracker is correct or misprogrammed.

Hence, I don't have the answer.

I'm not getting your question. The reading I just got corresponds to your image, which says that it is (Sheridan and Addison stops indicated at this moment).

CTA said that SB Purple Line Express trains will only stop at those stations in the AM rush.

I wasn't clear in my post. I read that they wouldn't be stopping at those stops in the PM and train tracker shows the stops this afternoon. So was wondering if anyone "on the ground" or in this case "on the platform" would see if the SB Purple trains are actually stopping at those stations in the PM or just showing up on train tracker without actually stopping. Also wanted to gauge the accuracy of the train tracker sign posted outside the Addison stop.

Probably the CTA didn't feel it was that important to upgrade the sunnyside switch. It is marked for removal. But I'm surprised it wasn't redone now at montrose with a full Iinterlocking. Probably they need to do another full Iinterlocking between montrose and granville or they are going to have weekends and weekends of long stretches of closed track especially when rpm really gets going on the dilipated structure.

BusHunter, a complete full interlocking with three double crossover is in the plans, between the new Wilson and Lawrence. Read my post with photo on the page one.

BusHunter, a complete full interlocking with three double crossover is in the plans, between the new Wilson and Lawrence. Read my post with photo on the page one.

Your post doesn't say that and the signals at Lawrence are only for the two tracks so far. Why would they put in a full interlocking there when they are supposed to start working on the rpm from Lawrence to Bryn Mawr? Unless that short section will not be demolished? Where did you hear of the plans for a full interlocking there? Maybe if we take a look at the Wilson project it will tell us where the interlocking will be.

Your post doesn't say that and the signals at Lawrence are only for the two tracks so far. Why would they put in a full interlocking there when they are supposed to start working on the rpm from Lawrence to Bryn Mawr? Unless that short section will not be demolished? Where did you hear of the plans for a full interlocking there? Maybe if we take a look at the Wilson project it will tell us where the interlocking will be.

Wilson%2010%20car%20platform.png

The best I could do, sorry. Full interlocking north of Wilson.

• 4 weeks later...

Since the Purple Line will be rerouted in Track 2 between Wilson and Addison, will the Purple stop at Addison during Cubs Night games? It wasn't mentioned in the press release. It won't be a need to stop at Sheridan anymore.

Purple Line Express SB will stop at Sheridan and Addison for Cubs Night Games.

Purple Line Express SB will stop at Sheridan and Addison for Cubs Night Games.

Why Sheridan? I thought that was only a 2-platform so that purple line riders could get off and switch to red during cubs games. If they're stopping at Addison now, what's the point of stopping at Sheridan for cubs games?

Why Sheridan? I thought that was only a 2-platform so that purple line riders could get off and switch to red during cubs games. If they're stopping at Addison now, what's the point of stopping at Sheridan for cubs games?

Actually the Purple Line Express trains stop at Sheridan for Cubs games to decrease crowding at Addison.

Sometimes you've got to work upstream and not deal with the post-game mess. This isn't an entirely new concept either.

Exactly, getting on at Sheridan (or heck even catching the Brown Line at Addison) is useful if you don't want to let 3-4 trains pass by before actually getting on a train AND get a good chance at getting a seat! For the North Shore folks, it would be nice if the UP-N had a stop at Addison or Belmont for Cubs games (and to take some of the Lincoln Park/Lakeview rush hour traffic for that matter).

Exactly, getting on at Sheridan (or heck even catching the Brown Line at Addison) is useful if you don't want to let 3-4 trains pass by before actually getting on a train AND get a good chance at getting a seat! For the North Shore folks, it would be nice if the UP-N had a stop at Addison or Belmont for Cubs games (and to take some of the Lincoln Park/Lakeview rush hour traffic for that matter).

An Addison station was planned years ago, but nothing ever came of it. I don't know why.

1. Great Recession

2. Stop spacing

3. Capital funds at the time wouldn't cover it.

I wish your #2 was used to kill the Peterson/Ridge station, as the sole reason for it is that Ald. O'Connor's wife has extensive real estate interests over there & she wants it built, so Madigan got Springfield to pay for that foolishness.

There used to be a station there, up to around 1960. It was called "Kenmore".

Maybe Rauner will decide to save the state millions & kill it, but I doubt he'll do anything to hurt Madigan's buddy on the city council.

• 2 weeks later...

They were showing on DNAinfo.com that they are tearing down the concrete/stone structure over Leland/Broadway. Must look weird over there.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20150428/uptown/without-overpasses-some-businesses-note-its-brighter-uptown

​However, the businesses haven't reacted to how it will be with a Belmont-type overpass that will replace it. Probably not as bad though.

Apparently there wasn't any DNAInfo when the Wilson Shops burned and then were demolished, because that really was a blight on the neighborhood.

• 5 months later...

I put up a youtube video that I filmed yesterday at Wilson/Red line. It shows the progress they have made. They have really been putting up the steel and now they are concreting the right of way. You can see where the station is going to be, just look for the gap between tracks 1 and 2 (roughly just north of Wilson by a few feet on the north and on the south it's almost up to the multi story parking garage).

• Upvote 3

I put up a youtube video that I filmed yesterday at Wilson/Red line. It shows the progress they have made. They have really been putting up the steel and now they are concreting the right of way.

Looks like they can get more done here more quickly than at Belmont, I guess because CTA owns more right of way.

I put up a youtube video that I filmed yesterday at Wilson/Red line. It shows the progress they have made. They have really been putting up the steel and now they are concreting the right of way. You can see where the station is going to be, just look for the gap between tracks 1 and 2 (roughly just north of Wilson by a few feet on the north and on the south it's almost up to the multi story parking garage).

Good video....good job. Engineering designs have taken advantage of the space between the old freight line (track #1) and the original steel "L" structure to lay out the new track #1 along with the ten-car platform and a good deal of the new #2 track. When the operation at Wilson switches over to track #1, it will take but a short  time for them to have the new #2 track in service. I could not find information on what they plan to do when the old #3 track is taken out of  service. Will northbound Red line trains move over to use the new track #2. I imagine Purple northbounds will continue to use #4  to the end when the new #3 track is ready and the new northbound platform is ready too. Then, with #4 out at Wilson, I guess thats a good time to redo the #4 track curves at Sheridan.    

They've been doing track work on track 1 south of wilson to at least addison so they will have virtually a new track 1 down to there from howard. I think when they worked on belmont they shared the one island platform they did have. Track 2 would be nb and track 1 would be sb.The question is will they leave track 4 open for the nb purple or will they just have no nb stop just sb and run everything through track 4. Do they have a switch at lawrence track 4 to 3 would be my next question.

They are going to start the broadway closures now, most likely for steel erection. So they should have most of the track 1 steel in place by Nov 9th. With the concrete crews working along side the steel erectors, they could possibly have a working track 1 in time for the winter. i don't really see them getting a platform in this year, but track 1 would be ok to send the sb purple lines on because they don't need a platform.

http://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/20151006/uptown/wilson-l-construction-closes-portions-of-broadway-this-week