Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't see anything on the Purple Line page, with regard to an alert for this, new schedule, or change in the route map. Source?

I'm going off the paper thing renardo870 has.

But now that you say that, it does seem weird that the CTA hasn't said anything online.

The service change will be reflected at the end of today's service day. Even though construction isn't complete it would be feasible to reflect the change while the picks are happening instead of waiting until the actual service change via financial fiscal on the marketing end

5 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

The service change will be reflected at the end of today's service day. Even though construction isn't complete it would be feasible to reflect the change while the picks are happening instead of waiting until the actual service change via financial fiscal on the marketing end

In that there is nothing on the website, I tend to doubt that. CTA usually does not implement a service change, including cutting out a stop, without some alert.

• Upvote 3

Moving right along with this week's Wilson developments. The canopy has been installed about 60 percent of the way down and we can see it now. It is more tinted than belmont, but when you look straight up at it it turns clear, wth? 

56dd035f2f006_wilsonreport13-6-16.thumb.

56dd0364a9a40_wilsonreport23-6-16.thumb.

The rest of the glass showed up for the elevator

56dd036f1a3c8_wilsonreport53-6-16.thumb.

This is basically what's left for the canopy

56dd036aec386_wilsonreport33-6-16.thumb.

Now why would they put wooden cutout windows on the stairs?

56dd03f153524_wilsonreport63-6-16.thumb.

They got done with the concrete wall sections, they are all installed now

56dd047a1fc73_wilsonreport73-6-16.thumb.

I was hoping this came out better, but they have connected the north tracks but there's no ballast under it. Kind of reminds me when you put a model railroad track on a grade with nothing under it. The train sags right. Hopefully they fix this a little better because a sagging train is not going to hack it!! :P They put the track in on track 1 that will carry the track 2 to 1 connection it's in front of the orange front loader in the shot.

56dd04731dc15_wilsonreport43-6-16.thumb.

• Upvote 3

Yes they're in the home stretch with getting that part done. When I was on the Red Line this morning, the operator we had was announcing over the intercom for riders who use Wilson regularly to take note of the signs that are up mentioning the upcoming boarding change. 

Time for our sunday night Wilson round up.

The tracks are all connected now but the north end is still being worked on with the ballast and there's no switch yet. They put a stop sign at the end of Broadway on track 1, so I guess the track is open up to there. I tried to take a picture of it. Maybe you can barely see it. (I left it high res if that helps)

56e63286e6bf1_wilsonstopsign.thumb.png.6

There seems to be lots of new things going on here. They have these signs on the platform.

56e633954aacb_wilsonsigns3-13-16.thumb.P

These are in the stationhouse. They talk about how the new station will function with it's temp entrances.

56e634156b6ee_wilsonphasetwosign3-13-16r

56e633f27ece0_wilsonphasetwoinfosign3-13

A few sneek peeks at the stationhouse reveals they have ventra machines and turnstiles already in there but not yet set up. The north side of wilson is done too with turnstiles and signage.

56e634e422ef5_wilsonstationhousebehindth

56e6351414c83_wilsonventra3-13-16.thumb.

The canopy looks nice, now they need to bring this on over to the blue line. It has a nice tint I like it

56e6354b30088_wilsonelevatorandcanopy3-1

56e63575ad251_wilsonoldandnew3-13-16.thu

56e635e3a4a04_wilsonnorthplatformend3-13

56e635a168c57_wilsonplatformlength3-13-1

It says on the notices at the stationhouse this trailer will connect both platforms I guess right across track 2.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

There seems to be lots of new things going on here. They have these signs on the platform.

These are consistent with the Alert posted on the website.

9 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

It says on the notices at the stationhouse this trailer will connect both platforms I guess right across track 2.

I guess it is not permanent, or it would have to be 15 feet higher,;) As is, it needs to be 3.

3 minutes ago, Busjack said:

These are consistent with the Alert posted on the website.

I guess it is not permanent, or it would have to be 15 feet higher,;) As is, it needs to be 3.

Maybe it's going under the platform above wouldn't make sense when track 2 opens. How do you get people from track 1 to 3 and have a working track 2? They do have this "look out a hole" sign where you would walk to the old track 1 transfer bridge. Really that's like walking the gang plank because there is no way but down out there!! xD

27 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Maybe it's going under the platform above wouldn't make sense when track 2 opens. How do you get people from track 1 to 3 and have a working track 2? They do have this "look out a hole" sign where you would walk to the old track 1 transfer bridge. Really that's like walking the gang plank because there is no way but down out there!! xD

As I indicated, it has to be temporary. I assume when track 2 is done, they'll have have to rip out the old center platform to build track 3, and since what passes as a platform outside track 4 is too narrow, temporarily use track 2 for northbound Red Line.

That's when this project gets really interesting, after track 2 opens, tracks 3 and 4 have to share track 4 but there is no station there on track 4. That station hasn't been used I know since at least the 80's. I believe wilson had a fire in '82 and that's when they stopped using it. The wood must be really shot. I know it hasn't been replaced in 30 years. I wonder if somehow they could replank it and use it for a temp station putting a connection between it and the street exit on wilson. They claim the gerber entrance will close after track 2 reconstruction.

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

I wonder if somehow they could replank it and use it for a temp station putting a connection between it and the street exit on wilson

I don't see how that would be worth the effort.

Also, depending on how much has to be ripped out for what appears would be the common structure for tracks 3 and 4, they may have to run the Purple Line on track 2, but maybe they could run it on track4 because it doesn't need to stop at the outer semblance of a platform.