Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

The justification for the cab signal is that there is another train a couple of signal blocks ahead, so the follower train doesn't crash into it. At least on other than ghost trains.

Knocking zones permanently from 55 mph to 15 was a later affectation.

The best description seems here on Chicago Transit and Railfan. From that

description, it may also be that the operator gets a beep if an attempt is made to go 56 mph.

It was actually calling for the train to slow down to 35, 25, or 15mph.

It was actually calling for the train to slow down to 35, 25, or 15mph.

If the train ahead is moving faster, it could help with spacing issues with the next train, and the temporary speed restriction will be lifted. If the train ahead is at a station, the commands will decrease until the next train moves. This is my explanation with the help of Busjack, so please take it with a grain of salt. I joined this forum partly to learn things. :P

The video link below shows a good view of the cab signal behaving the same way in the State Street Subway. Towards the later parts, the train catches up with a Red Line train, prompting the speed limit reductions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa91xujC37Y

If the train ahead is moving faster, it could help with spacing issues with the next train, and the temporary speed restriction will be lifted. If the train ahead is at a station, the commands will decrease until the next train moves. This is my explanation with the help of Busjack, so please take it with a grain of salt. I joined this forum partly to learn things. :P

The video link below shows a good view of the cab signal behaving the same way in the State Street Subway. Towards the later parts, the train catches up with a Red Line train, prompting the speed limit reductions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wa91xujC37Y

Nice video. That I get, but what I was talking about was around Garfield & Sox 35th Red Line stations. & if we want to talk about slow zones again, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I noticed the speed limit along the northbound Red Line track that turns right from Division to Clybourn has dropped from 35mph to 15, and it's not because of the train ahead of a train I'm on this time.

Nice video. That I get, but what I was talking about was around Garfield & Sox 35th Red Line stations. & if we want to talk about slow zones again, I don't know if anyone has noticed, but I noticed the speed limit along the northbound Red Line track that turns right from Division to Clybourn has dropped from 35mph to 15, and it's not because of the train ahead of a train I'm on this time.

Yes this is very annoying. There has been work going on in the southbound subway, but nothing northbound.

• 2 months later...

People do retire or quit, and some of the new hires don't last, some of those quit so there is turnover; that is expected.

I'm not sure this is the more relevant place, but...

I understand attrition,but it still hits me that if CTA had 400 fewer runs on Monday (due to the R routes being cancelled) than Friday, the attrition during the 5 months of the project must have either resulted in excessive overtime leading to that Friday, or (unlikely) better service on other routes on Monday [since the usual situation that "seasonal workers were let go" was denied]. Not being in the scheduler's office, I don't know, but do the drivers who made the picks know?

• 2 months later...

Im sorry for bringing up a dead topic but its just to clear confusion that has come up here and on chicagonow regarding the crossovers. Basically when they rebuilt, they left the crossovers untouched and just built new tracks connecting to them (evidenced by older ballast being seen under the crossovers and youtube videos for those who didnt live south and werent able to see the work in person). So basically while im guessing it would've been possible to reuse them at other locations had they been torn up along with the rest of the line, that possibility is out the window because they're still in use.

Im sorry for bringing up a dead topic but its just to clear confusion that has come up here and on chicagonow regarding the crossovers. Basically when they rebuilt, they left the crossovers untouched and just built new tracks connecting to them (evidenced by older ballast being seen under the crossovers and youtube videos for those who didnt live south and werent able to see the work in person)....

Scooter will be glad to hear that. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure this is the more relevant place, but...

I understand attrition,but it still hits me that if CTA had 400 fewer runs on Monday (due to the R routes being cancelled) than Friday, the attrition during the 5 months of the project must have either resulted in excessive overtime leading to that Friday, or (unlikely) better service on other routes on Monday [since the usual situation that "seasonal workers were let go" was denied]. Not being in the scheduler's office, I don't know, but do the drivers who made the picks know?

There was LOTS of OT, especially towards the end. Afterwards, part-timers were lucky to get 20 hours a week. But it was nowhere near 400 runs. Maybe 150-200. However, most worked anywhere from 10 to 12 hours.
  • Upvote 2

There was LOTS of OT, especially towards the end. Afterwards, part-timers were lucky to get 20 hours a week. But it was nowhere near 400 runs. Maybe 150-200. However, most worked anywhere from 10 to 12 hours.

I might have misconstrued "runs" with the supposed number of hires.

However, this indicates that the statement made at the beginning of the process that all hires would get full time jobs at the end of the project was apparently bull (even though the first place Google found this was on the Mayor's PR site), unless you are referring to part timers hired after the 400.

Im going to investigate why they keep doing track work AFTER the project ended last fall. Check back for a report. .......

That's one thing I'd like to know as well.... I've been seeing alerts for single tracking but they say "due to filming", I dont recall seeing one for track maintenence. I was about to mention piles of ties near the 18th st portal but I realize those may be staged for the Orange Line work (which by the way is getting the same ballast and track as the Dan Ryan)

That's one thing I'd like to know as well.... I've been seeing alerts for single tracking but they say "due to filming", I dont recall seeing one for track maintenence. I was about to mention piles of ties near the 18th st portal but I realize those may be staged for the Orange Line work (which by the way is getting the same ballast and track as the Dan Ryan)

The stupid part about the filming segment was that I didn't see any damn film sets, crews, etc last night between 35th and 47th.....

The stupid part about the filming segment was that I didn't see any damn film sets, crews, etc last night between 35th and 47th.....

What would be there worth filming? I think that the usual PR sandbagging is occurring.

What would be there worth filming? I think that the usual PR sandbagging is occurring.

Maybe Dick Wolf & the "Chicago Fire" producers are finally sick of shooting in Wicker Park, the former Grand Central Terminal rail yards, Wacker Dr. & the Army warehouses on Pershing.

Earlier, they went out to IRM in Union & filmed there.

In this week's show, they wrecked part of the old Sears HQ on Arthington St., just off Homan.

Maybe Dick Wolf & the "Chicago Fire" producers are finally sick of shooting in Wicker Park, the former Grand Central Terminal rail yards, Wacker Dr. & the Army warehouses on Pershing.

Earlier, they went out to IRM in Union & filmed there.

In this week's show, they wrecked part of the old Sears HQ on Arthington St., just off Homan.

Which, other than the "Tower," was going to be wrecked in any event.

I assume that there are still parts of Englewood and Woodlawn left to burn.

However, the implication I got from the posts (which may be wrong) was that someone was filming on the Dan Ryan median. Not much to see there.

• 3 weeks later...