Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

The Green page may have another answer:

Eight lubrication machines used on the rail system are powered by solar energy. Conventional lubrication machines require an electrical feed, which in many locations means running miles of cable; cable is not required for solar-powered machines.

Since you say it is on the curve, that might be it. Here is one vendor of that.

Pretty unlikely that it is fed directly into the third rail, since no way to meter it.

One of these devices is on Track 1 on the NSM just north of the Sheridan S curve.

Any one else noticed the train on the brocher is a 2400 series with the end cap a 5000?? Lol just thought that was funny

Yes. I kinda did a "double-take" on that image. But the train on the brochure is actually a 2400 series with a rather flat-looking 5000 series "bonnet" or front end. Seems odd that this "hybrid" image was used given the fact that so many 5000s were on the property.

• Upvote 1

Yes. I kinda did a "double-take" on that image. But the train on the brochure is actually a 2400 series with a rather flat-looking 5000 series "bonnet" or front end. Seems odd that this "hybrid" image was used given the fact that so many 5000s were on the property.

The same thing was on both pieces Juniorz posted.

I suppose that one can write this off as a bad Photoshop job* done before a train could be put out there, but one then has to wonder whether the ballast depicted there is authentic.

_______

*Sort of similar to the CTA picture of "4 trains at Belmont" with the caption saying that one was "complements of the darkroom" (CERA 115, p. 32).

• Upvote 1

It is odd that they would use a possibly pre-shutdown pic that's been Photoshopped considering we all the the work was actually done to replace everything from the ballast up from eyewitness accounts by Sam and other southside members along with their own actual photos showing the work being done.

It is odd that they would use a possibly pre-shutdown pic that's been Photoshopped considering we all the the work was actually done to replace everything from the ballast up from eyewitness accounts by Sam and other southside members along with their own actual photos showing the work being done.

As I implied, they might have Photoshopped new ballast on a picture of an old train, or vice versa (and a new train front on either). But, obviously, nobody thought of taking a picture of only the train and trackbed instead of all the politicians about a week ago.

RED LINE

Oct 25 - 26 11pm Fri to 8am Sat

Delays Between 63rd and 69th Stations

How does this affect my trip? Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between 63rd and 69th, resulting in minor delays.

Allow extra travel time.

Why is service being changed? We are performing track work following the collision of a truck with the Red Line tracks on Sunday night, October 20.

Just Imagine if they got the Red & Purple Lines Rebuild, The Run Times would be the fastest in our generation

Depends in what generation you are in. I remember when the Howard train was much quicker, in that it did not have slow zones and it ran skip stop (mid 70s). Even in recent history (early 2000s), the Purple Line ran between Lawrence and Howard fast enough to pass 3 Red Line trains and shake longitudinally.

Depends in what generation you are in. I remember when the Howard train was much quicker, in that it did not have slow zones and it ran skip stop (mid 70s). Even in recent history (early 2000s), the Purple Line ran between Lawrence and Howard fast enough to pass 3 Red Line trains and shake longitudinally.

It still does that around 6PM. There's usually a backup of Red line trains getting into the yard and some are being laid up.

It still does that around 6PM. There's usually a backup of Red line trains getting into the yard and some are being laid up.

• I meant shake laterally.
  • I meant that in normal operations it had passed Red Line trains over the 3.5 miles of the route, not that the Red Line trains were held up. If anything it was the opposite, i.e. the Purple Line would be held at Jarvis and a couple of the Red Line trains would catch up.

I remember during the early 60s to mid 70s when trains (then 6000 series) on the subway stretch of the Red Line (then the North-South route) would take the curve between Clark/Division & North/Clybourn stations at full speed, particularly the southbound Englewood "A" trains because they didn't stop at North/Clybourn (a "B" train stop). Also, the stretch of elevated track between 18th street and 35th/IIT, where the el structure had a kind of "roller coaster" alignment. By the time the 6000s got to about 33rd street, the vibration from the traction motors was so intense the cars would literally be rattling. So, I would guess the speed to be between 50-55 mph.

Definitely NO slow zones then!

You know when the trains go around a 90 degree curve kind of fast you'll hear a pop from the wheels. (I seem to notice this on elevated structures) Is that the train derailing to the guides/derailing track? (There is a derailing track or whatever it's called next to the big curves so they don't derail.) You'll see this especially on the last cars of trains especially if the operator drives fast or in a hurry, just wondering.

I remember during the early 60s to mid 70s when trains (then 6000 series) on the subway stretch of the Red Line (then the North-South route) would take the curve between Clark/Division & North/Clybourn stations at full speed, particularly the southbound Englewood "A" trains because they didn't stop at North/Clybourn (a "B" train stop). Also, the stretch of elevated track between 18th street and 35th/IIT, where the el structure had a kind of "roller coaster" alignment. By the time the 6000s got to about 33rd street, the vibration from the traction motors was so intense the cars would literally be rattling. So, I would guess the speed to be between 50-55 mph.

I certainly remember the wheels squealing, but more at the State-Division curve. The things that changed was the windows generally being open on the 6000s, and they didn't have the track oilers then.

But basically the only thing that would slow down a train in the subway was a red signal. Some signals seemed sequenced that they would turn green immediately before the train got there, and hence the operator didn't have a reason to slow down, even though it appeared yellow down the track.

The 6000s* had the 55 hp former streetcar motors instead of the 100 hp ones after that, so they really had to crank them to get them up to speed.

________

*Except for the couple of experimental cars.

• Upvote 1

I've mentioned previously that the original run time from Howard to 95th [back in 1993] was supposedly 55 minutes. On 10/30/13 I'll have an opportunity to ride from Howard to 95th around 1:00pm. I hope I remember to time the trip. :)

Just came from Evanston. Made it in 1 hour and 4 min.

I remember this too. I rode the old NS and WNW regularly in the early 70s. The 6000s on the NS always seemed faster, I don't know if they actually were but it sure felt like it. The 6000s in the WNW were just OK. I believe many of the operators had the curve signals "timed" as they always flew through the curves you mentioned. It was always ":hammer down" on the old NS, I loved it.

• Upvote 2

I remember this too. I rode the old NS and WNW regularly in the early 70s. The 6000s on the NS always seemed faster, I don't know if they actually were but it sure felt like it. The 6000s in the WNW were just OK. I believe many of the operators had the curve signals "timed" as they always flew through the curves you mentioned. It was always ":hammer down" on the old NS, I loved it.

Except for when some of the original (flat door) 6000s were traded to WNW, WNW had the comparatively newer ones (roughly 6521-6720). I don't remember them having bad performance, but I didn't ride on that line that often. Maybe NS was the illusion caused by more closely spaced stations and actually being able to pass trains.

Conversely, one time I almost froze my feet due to 6000s on the north side opening their doors every minute of so in the dead of winter in the mid 70s.

I agree about the operators having stuff "timed" to the signals.

I've mentioned previously that the original run time from Howard to 95th [back in 1993] was supposedly 55 minutes. On 10/30/13 I'll have an opportunity to ride from Howard to 95th around 1:00pm. I hope I remember to time the trip. :)

Wasn't skip stop still around on this route at that time right so soon after the swap of south ends with what's today the Green Line? If so there may be some accounting for that in that original run time.

Wasn't skip stop still around on this route at that time right so soon after the swap of south ends with what's today the Green Line? If so there may be some accounting for that in that original run time.

Chicago-l.org says that it was abolished on the Howard branch in 1995, so it would have been there for 2 years after the merger with the Dan Ryan branch.

Chicago-l.org says that it was abolished on the Howard branch in 1995, so it would have been there for 2 years after the merger with the Dan Ryan branch.

When the Howard and Dan Ryan branches were joined, skip stop service was eliminated on the Dan Ryan section altogether, with Harrison remaining a B station, North Clybourn A, Addison B, Sheridan A, Lawrence B, ARgyle A, Berwyn B, Thorndale A, Granville B, Jarvis A. However, I think the skip stop service was limited to rush hours only, until abolished with all other skip stop service in 1995.

Except for when some of the original (flat door) 6000s were traded to WNW, WNW had the comparatively newer ones (roughly 6521-6720). I don't remember them having bad performance, but I didn't ride on that line that often. Maybe NS was the illusion caused by more closely spaced stations and actually being able to pass trains.

Conversely, one time I almost froze my feet due to 6000s on the north side opening their doors every minute of so in the dead of winter in the mid 70s.

I agree about the operators having stuff "timed" to the signals.

The 6000s on the WNW were smooth and ran decent, the ones on the NS took off with a lurch and had the humming and vibration at speed. Maybe this is why they felt faster? Could it be something in the track or subway construction that did this?

The 6000s on the WNW were smooth and ran decent, the ones on the NS took off with a lurch and had the humming and vibration at speed. Maybe this is why they felt faster? Could it be something in the track or subway construction that did this?

More than likely it was because of the different series of streetcars cannibalized to make them. 6001-6200 were originally constructed as L cars, 6201-6510 were Pullman streetcars, and 6511-6720 and 1-50 were St. Louis streetcars. The Pullmans and St.Louis cars also had different motors and trucks, although CERA 115 indicates that the motors were swapped. There were, of course, the experimental cars, 6127-30 and 1-4.

I don't know if there is an argument that the longer relative time of the lower numbered cars on rapid transit may have worn on them more than street service for the parts of the later cars on the street.

Since much of both lines was on similar Ls, the only track difference would be between Congress and North Main, but North Main was rebuilt with welded rail in the 1970s, and seemed o.k. then.