Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

A Question: What were your moments of the Red Line South Reconstruction (aka Dan Ryan Track Renewal). Many historical elements were used & many memories were made, so which one's will you miss most

Apparently they got it done in time and there weren't any race riots, even though I predicted that there might be. Other than that, it wasn't like they let anyone on the median during construction.

Before the project the disappointment on everyone's face being trapped in dan ryan slow zones. I really noticed that here more than on any other slow zone and I've been through alot of them.

I think its mainly because it happened so quickly after they spent those 1 1/2 years single tracking the whole line replacing ties. Spent all that time in going 6-15 mph throughout spots of the libe while they replaced ties only for the line to speed up for 3-4 months then get worse then its ever been.

Red Line South Preview on Thursday October 17th, 2013with Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, U.S. Senator Dick Durbin, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn, CTA President Forrest Claypool & CTA Chairman Terry Peterson.

So, mk, Frosty the Claypool was there.

I think its mainly because it happened so quickly after they spent those 1 1/2 years single tracking the whole line replacing ties. Spent all that time in going 6-15 mph throughout spots of the libe while they replaced ties only for the line to speed up for 3-4 months then get worse then its ever been.

It just shows what I've said from the beginning that things had gotten so bad that folks were more open to the drastic action need to get things fixed and there were going to be none of the race riots that some were so ready and a bit all to quick to predict. There were the understandable concerns about safety due to the reroute along the Green Line's Ashland/63rd branch but folks overall wanted to see the line fixed.

Red Line South Preview on Thursday October 17th, 2013with Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel, U.S. Senator Dick Durbin, Illinois Gov. Pat Quinn, CTA President Forrest Claypool & CTA Chairman Terry Peterson. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AyZYPlJnPU

Saw it on NBC5 News and thought to myself the chance for Emanuel to get another photo op had to come about sooner or later and that I was a little surprised that he didn't arrange for it to happen on one of the test runs from earlier in the week.

I don't think we'll be seeing #5159-60 on the yellow line anymore. As long as #5153-54 stays off the green line. They look to be trying to get as many #5000's as they can for the ryan opening.I'd be surprised if sunday they didn't run all #5000's on the red line. Btw, I was at racine yard the other day and was kind of surprised they were only storing #2600's there. Last night after the press conference they started tearing down the 63rd/ashland signs at the stations. I think the only place that you can find those words now on a red background is on the rollsigns themselves. As far asthe first 95th train i'll see if I can get a time tomorrow. It seems to be a big secret up until now. Even some supervisors don't know the time.

On the Red Line South Project aspect from your post, which I will respond to here to keep from hijacking the 5000s thread and taking that one too far off course, I'm guessing that the system maps on the bus shelters will be swapped out at some point tomorrow as the ones reflecting the shuttles, south side bus reroutes and the Ashland/63 routing of the Red Line were still up as of late this morning.

Assuming How They operated Swipe the decals & Maps during the evening of May 18th, expect the same Saturday during the day & at rail stations during the early evening into the night to make the switch more easier and less confusing. Tomorrow is the last full day of Red Line Trains to Ashland/63rd, so i suggest getting out on field an really saying a farewell to the Howard-Englewood A Trains in action.

I will say I was skeptical on this whole project and was against the idea of the 4 month shutdown.

That said, I will give credit where credit is due. The CTA handled this project about as good as

anyone can and should be commended for completing the project on schedule and providing

adequate service in the interim.

• Upvote 3

I will say I was skeptical on this whole project and was against the idea of the 4 month shutdown.

That said, I will give credit where credit is due. The CTA handled this project about as good as

anyone can and should be commended for completing the project on schedule and providing

adequate service in the interim.

I have to agree with that. My concern is that the work and effort that went into the reconstruction can stand the test of time, usage and the elements (i.e., Chicago's fluctuating weather; the winters in particular). I mean, I would hate to look up only a few years from now and see the trackage starting to show signs of misalignment and re-appearing slow zones, especially after all the millions of dollars that was spent on this project - not to mention the inconvenience that was experienced while the reconstruction work was in progress.

• Upvote 4

I do wanna say thanks all the transit enthusiast,CTA employees,and general people for keeping this topic up to date with information, facts and FYI's to help make this shutdown smooth as butter.

*now I will leave my thanks to CTA for letting me relive the Howard-Englewood trips. And I hope to see some or ALL of you tonight or tomarrow for the New Dan Dan Ryan Branch.

• Upvote 4

I Appreciate that the CTA has really respected it's past while moving forward in 2013. From The 2200-series retirement ceremony to the Howard-Englewood A-Trains seeing a reprieve to help enhance the Dan Ryan's Future, I am excited to see how the CTA phases 2013 out. To all the fourm members, it has been a long ride to see this night in action, but we made it!!!!!!!! I am going to miss this post in general because for 2 years we educated each other & learned from each other. Can't wait to see all of you at the next CTA main event. So long Red Line South Reconstruction, you brought MANY fond memories

post-1441-0-34462400-1382240696_thumb.jp

Yes the 2200s farewell trip was an official nod to CTA's rail history. But I think the Ashland/63rd reroute of the Red Line during the Red Line South reconstruction project was more CTA needing a place to operate Red Line trains to make the project as less an convenience as they could on riders as they could than it was a nod to the past. But it was still a fortunate coincidence from a transit enthusiast's point of view.

• Upvote 2

@Jajuan, it was a means of convenience, but a nod to respecting the past. If you look at every major event within the 9 1/2 months CTA has had a nod to it's past while moving forward

My point is one was a deliberate nod to the past while the other not necessarily so since it was more out of necessity but still had from an enthusiast's point of view the happy coincidence of being a past configuration that brought back memories from younger years. There were no formal statements from CTA highlighting that Ashland/63rd was a former branch of what's now the Red Line. All their formal statements and nods given on that front was that it was once of the alternatives for riders during the shutdown of the Dan Ryan leg. As far as they were concerned that's pretty much what it was for them. Yes it was a nod to the past for some members of the forum, but not formally so for CTA management or those in charge of the rebuild project.

Run 841 is first train to 95th

Beat me to it, looks like I'm not the only one who stayed up late for this. :) Not to mention run 941 is the first out of 95th to Howard.post-270-0-76837600-1382260034.png

post-270-0-92241500-1382260726.png

EDIT 4:23: Interesting to note that the next southbound run is 839 headed to Ashland/63, with run 842 the next run to 95th, and 840 again to Ashland/63. Seems to be some alternating before the complete end of the Ashland service. In 18 minutes 941 has gone from 95th to approaching Harrison, a good indication of the improved travel time on the Red Line South. Let's hope for similar results during peak travel times.

EDIT 5:03: Run 841 arrived at 95th, 840 at 35th/Bronzeville/IIT as I write this, 941 approaching Howard, the last of the Howard-Englewood trips are certainly winding down. All of the trips to Ashland/63 are still heading back up to Howard. Looks like there's still a small handful to go, but once they are finished, the CTA will have undertaken a massive reconstruction project simply unprecedented in the U.S., with support and criticism coming from riders and businesses alike, and promises for shorter travel times almost too good to be true.

While the reconstruction did not affect me too greatly, I do look forward to riding the new rails when I come back in November. WIth that I end my findings for this early morning.

post-270-0-76837600-1382260034_thumb.png

post-270-0-92241500-1382260726_thumb.png