Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

Good point. One also has to take into account the physics of acceleration, i.e. especially now with short distances between most stations, acceleration and braking are both by a factor of v squared.

I take it from your point that the phone doesn't have an accelerometer, just a gps.

Pairing them with 2000s would not have made any difference, since both had the same propulsion packages.

The only thing that would have been relevant (since both reportedly had top balancing speeds of 70, as sw initially said up here) is what the setting was on the signal system.

In any event, do you want sudden starts and stops scattering you all over the inside of the car (Newton's principle of inertia)?

According to Chicago-L-org, the 2000s had a balancing speed of 65 mph. It does show the same motors in both cars though.

Signals were all on south of about 35 last night. (All showing red over red, of course...) I didn't pay enough attention to know if every signal was on, but most certainly were.

Every signal is on at this point. They also put most of the signs back down that mark when a train has fully cleared the interlocking.

It has been a rough 2013 for the Authority. But at least it got one thing correct:

It picked the right year to severely disrupt service to White Sox Park. :o

Attendance was already down a couple of percent this year, although I'm sure the shutdown was a good enough reason why.... and the record didn't make it any better.

• Upvote 1

The other day I could have sworn I saw an R95 going north on Lake Shore. This would have been around 7:30AM, right around McCormick Place.

In all likelihood the bus either had a sign malfunction in the case there were passengers aboard or it could have been deadheading for use on another route and the destination sign was just displaying R95 from its previous use on that route because the Clever Device hadn't been set in preparation for the route the bus going to be next assigned.

Fun Fact about the Red Line Dan Ryan Branch Project:

-The CTA used 380 million pounds of stone ballast under the tracks that run along the Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line.

There is even new stone ballast on the incline from the Chinatown station to just before those tracks meet the Orange Line tracks near the 18th St Connector..

In other words, Everything's going to go back to normal.

As normal as normal is.

Then the next question will be where all the articulated buses on R routes are going to go and how many Novas meet The Crusher (and I don't mean Dick the Bruiser's tag team partner).

Also, if travel times will really improve.

• Upvote 1

In other words, Everything's going to go back to normal.

And though there aren't yet any upcoming alerts on them, all the north-south and east-west south side routes that are under a South Red Line project reroute should go back to their pre-May 19th configurations starting the 20th.

As normal as normal is.

Then the next question will be where all the articulated buses on R routes are going to go and how many Novas meet The Crusher (and I don't mean Dick the Bruiser's tag team partner).

Also, if travel times will really improve.

There is the manner of the 5000's series cars that Claypool and Emanuel promise once its back in service.I'm not sure how many will be needed.

There is the manner of the 5000's series cars that Claypool and Emanuel promise once its back in service.I'm not sure how many will be needed.

chicago-l.org has had the Red Line fleet somewhere between 340 and 380 (going through about 2 years of car assignment sheets), which undoubtedly includes spares. Based on the deliveries thread, there are approximately 180 5000s available for the Red Line (after deducting full allocations to the Pink and Green Lines), so it looks like about half way.

Also, there was the blowup at the time resulting from CTA talking that out of the Red dead page.

BusHunter would have better numbers, but his post above doesn't reflect rush hour.

Going back to what was actually said before the shutdown, neither Claypool or Emanuel explicitly promised that the Red Line would be completely covered by 5000s upon reopening the Dan Ryan leg. What was actually said was that one of the reasons they were going with the quicker five month complete shutdown was that going with one of the partial shutdown options would delay them being able to assign any new cars on the line at all. They weren't making any push to say that come later this month the Red Line would be all 5000s. The delivery schedule likely wouldn't back that up even if there hadn't been further delays. Basically the only thing they pretty much said in selling the project to the community was that the five month route in tackling the rebuild wouldn't delay them in getting the transition to 5000s going. There was never any explicit word of how long the Red Line transition to 5000s would take.

• Upvote 1