Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

So I suppose my question now is how far up has the initial track and ballast removal progressed so far.

All the track on our end is gone, even on the connecting ramp to the orange line. now I'm mainly seeing excavators all along the line digging DEEP down under the the ballast. I see some round tubes laying around near 95th (new drainage systems?). These guys are MOVING down here.

So I suppose my question now is how far up has the initial track and ballast removal progressed so far.

The CTA on its Facebok account keeps updating pictures every week of the progress and their photography is better than any outside photographer could produce because their camera person has complete "back stage access." A lot of what they've saved, like station signage is stored in a block sized construction yard opposite Du Sable High School along State St. and 49th St., hdden behind fencing of course.

• Upvote 2

Thanks everyone. The last chance I had to ride any rail line south of the loop was back in March on the Dan Ryan no less. So I'm naturally curious about how the project is progressing almost a month in.

If you or anyione else on here knows how to upload pictures on this site from an iPhone, I'll gladly share mine

Thanks everyone. The last chance I had to ride any rail line south of the loop was back in March on the Dan Ryan no less. So I'm naturally curious about how the project is progressing almost a month in.

If you or anyione else on here knows how to upload pictures on this site from an iPhone, I'll gladly share mine

Can you either (1) upload to a PC and then use the Attach Files button (in the Use Full Editor), or (2) get to the Attach Files button by using a browser in the iPhone?

Others seem to use YouTube of Flckr as an intermediary.

Other than that, I'm stumped.

Kevin can probably help.

Now that I know how to upload straight from my phone... The first 3 pics are from the Garfield terminal in the height of the PM rush. And below those 3 is a pic of the now naked rail bed at 95th terminal 2 weeks into construction followed by a more recent pic of the ROW taken at 87th street last week. Will continue to post more pictures as I get a chance. :)

post-1149-0-09561700-1371445531_thumb.jp

post-1149-0-84215200-1371445550_thumb.jp

post-1149-0-91222300-1371445576_thumb.jp

post-1149-0-66992000-1371445636_thumb.jp

post-1149-0-67412600-1371445821_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

Now that I know how to upload straight from my phone... The first 3 pics are from the Garfield terminal in the height of the PM rush. And below those 3 is a pic of the now naked rail bed at 95th terminal 2 weeks into construction followed by a more recent pic of the ROW taken at 87th street last week. Will continue to post more pictures as I get a chance. :)

Great pics Sam. Of course the lone set of 40 foot NFs at the Garfield terminal are from the 74th run R69. That's the one surprise out of the shuttles but it actually makes sense in a way given 74th operating the 67 which operates through 69th station and given that shuttle route being the shortest out of the southernmost Red Line shuttles. And you give good photographic evidence that so far rush hour hasn't thrown too much of a snap in the shuttles. The buses appear to still get in and out of the terminal smoothly.

Edited by jajuan

Great pics Sam. Of course the lone set of 40 foot NFs at the Garfield terminal are from the 74th run R69. That's the one surprise out of the shuttles but it actually makes sense in a way given 74th operating the 67 which operates through 69th station and given that shuttle route being the shortest out of the southernmost Red Line shuttles. And you give good photographic evidence that so rush hour hasn't thrown too much of a snap in the shuttles. The buses appear to still get in and out of the terminal smoothly.

It also shows that if R95 is from 103, that's where the hybrids are, and the other two (R79 and R87) are the diesels.

Does anyone have any observations that routes that had artics a couple of weeks ago don't now (except the report already made about 79)?

It also shows that if R95 is from 103, that's where the hybrids are, and the other two (R79 and R87) are the diesels.

Does anyone have any observations that routes that had artics a couple of weeks ago don't now (except the report already made about 79)?

So far the only observation I've had is the 26 going back to mainly or all 1000s, but I made that observation the first week of the project. Now if we spread out to routes that still have artics but use less, I've seen more 1000s on the 6 during weekdays from 103rd's side, on the 134 and 143 here and there in evening rush from Kedzie's side of things (usually they're both all artic at that part of the weekday), and on the 135, 136, 146, 147 and 148 as far as North Park at various points since the project's start. That's about it from my observations.

Also which garage is operating the R63 and by extension the R55 if it's out of the same garage as the R63?

Has anyone else noticed lately some Red Line trains to Ashland displaying yellow-white markers instead of yellow-green? Is it not working out with the wellow-green or maybe even some type of confusion due to Cottage Grove trains displaying White-Green?( I mean, they can look pretty similar from a distance sometimes)

Has anyone else noticed lately some Red Line trains to Ashland displaying yellow-white markers instead of yellow-green? Is it not working out with the wellow-green or maybe even some type of confusion due to Cottage Grove trains displaying White-Green?( I mean, they can look pretty similar from a distance sometimes)

Asof yesterday, they are still yellow and green. Even if the colors are nearly similar from a long distance, the white color is the closest to the center as the amber one is between the red (far end) and the green. I don't know if those in the towers have binouclars, but the only places necessary to watch the marker lights are at 18th St Tower or 59th St Tower. At 18th, the Red Line trains are already on the center tracks coming from the 13th St portal, so those should be easy to identify. Southbound you really only have to differentiate the Green Line and Orange Line trains.

It has been like that since the project started, but only with the 2600-series cars. I think that yellow-white marker had something to do with the old roller curtain sign set that was in that rail car and the marker lights not getting reprogrammed. It's just like when the 2400-series cars switched from the Green Line to the Purple Line and still displayed green-green markers. Maybe yellow-white marker was assigned to the Black Midway sign or the Red Line Roosevelt sign.

Well they have ripped up the tracks all the way to the portal at 16th. I didn't think they would pass Cermak- Chinatown, except on the incline to 18th. They have removed the ballast on the incline to 18th as well. Those portal tracks at 16th age back to the early 90's. Seems like a waste to work on a 20 year old track.

...Seems like a waste to work on a 20 year old track.

But the alternative is similar to either the South Red Line one that they fixed the crossovers but not the track (2012 story) or North Red Line one that they fixed the overpasses and the track, but didn't fix the crossovers. In any event, it isn't fixed. So, what's a couple of more blocks?

I was at the top of the Sears Tower (as an old Chicagoan, I grew up with the old name) last Sunday and I could observe that the track had been fully removed from Cermak-Chinatown station and the immediate vicinity on that part of the line. I had photos, but I will need to upload them and get them down to size.

Well they have ripped up the tracks all the way to the portal at 16th. I didn't think they would pass Cermak- Chinatown, except on the incline to 18th. They have removed the ballast on the incline to 18th as well. Those portal tracks at 16th age back to the early 90's. Seems like a waste to work on a 20 year old track.

When I took the Red Line between Cermak-Chinatown and Harrison for school several years ago, the slow zones from Chinatown to Roosevelt were very sporadic, and were very dominant on the northbound track. On certain weeks of the school year I can get to Roosevelt within 3 minutes; other weeks I would be lucky to get there within 10. At one point in time there was a very bad patch of slow zone between Roosevelt and Harrison too, but like I said, the slow zones were very sporadic. Nonetheless I'm looking forward to the finished product in the fall.