Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

Here's some more photos of the Dan Ryan Project courtesy of CTA's Facebook page.

Photos Copyright © to Chicago Transit Authority's Facebook Page

I see they are going down deep underneath where the ballast was in one shot. It looks like they want to get this one right.

I see they are going down deep underneath where the ballast was in one shot. It looks like they want to get this one right.

The inscription on the wall says "CB." That usually means "catch basin", a part of a sewer system. A reservoir like structure. Catch basins are at street corners. They can hold a small amount of runoff.

• 3 weeks later...

Since jtrosario brought up the May 2013 Ridership Report, we should keep tabs on the year vs. last year on closed Red Line stations vs. parallel Green Line stations now served by the Red Line. While Garfield is up about 400%, 47th and 35th are up, but not by much.

However, since the May report only reflects 13 days when the Red Line was "diverted" out of 31 days in the month, the future reports will be more telling.

Since jtrosario brought up the May 2013 Ridership Report, we should keep tabs on the year vs. last year on closed Red Line stations vs. parallel Green Line stations now served by the Red Line. While Garfield is up about 400%, 47th and 35th are up, but not by much.

However, since the May report only reflects 13 days when the Red Line was "diverted" out of 31 days in the month, the future reports will be more telling.

I would imagine 47th wouldn't be up much since there didn't seem to be a signicant ridership coming from the west. On the other hand, from my observation, 35th should see a signifcant uptick when you factor in dates with White Sox games.

It is actually cool having both the Red and Green LInes on the elevated tracks. I don't why there is still some confusion, except maybe from out of towners. Just this past week, I observed an out of town couple waiting for the train with me. We let a northbound Red Line train go by and we caught the next train which was a Green Line. I observed the lady looking at her cell phone and after we left Roosevelt, I asked them where they were going. It turned out they wanted the Red Line. I mentioned to them that they let a Red Line train pass them at 35th. They said they were from out of town and were following the instructions on their phone. Thus they got off at State/Lake.

Another person was standing on the 35th platform. He let a Red Line to 63/Ashland pass him by, then seemed upset that the only Green Line trains coming through were going to Cottage Grove. I explained to him the Red Line trains were going to 63/Ashland, but someone on his cellphone was instructing him to take a GREEN line train to 63/Ashland. One and a half months into this project and people still can't seem to get it right.

The crime of it all is all people have to do is look up, the signs above your head will tell you where you are going. Next we'll be using cell phones to tell us how to use the restroom. :rolleyes::lol:

If anything if you know you're from out of town, you should be checking up on the alert page when you get to the city so you can know.

If anything if you know you're from out of town, you should be checking up on the alert page when you get to the city so you can know.

Better yet, if you know you're from out of town and a local resident is cluing you in on an easier way to get to your destination, then be mindful that maybe just maybe that person knows how to get to that point better than your phone. Especially if your phone is recommending a trip through Google Trip Planner based on a certain time you wanted to leave your starting point or arrive at your destination and not necessarily by least amount of transferring around (an option you can't explicitly click unless you opt for the RTA Goroo Trip Planner instead).

• Upvote 1

Better yet, if you know you're from out of town and a local resident is cluing you in on an easier way to get to your destination, then be mindful that maybe just maybe that person knows how to get to that point better than your phone. Especially if your phone is recommending a trip through Google Trip Planner based on a certain time you wanted to leave your starting point or arrive at your destination and not necessarily by least amount of transferring around (an option you can't explicitly click unless you opt for the RTA Goroo Trip Planner instead).

Aside from maybe the number of transfers(such as assuming Gene King's hypothetical trip from 97th and Halsted having options via 112 and then either 29 or R95), it is clear that Google Transit provides options, and that all options using the 63-Halsted station (such as Howard to South Halsted*) all refer to staying on the Red Line. The only debate is whether the passenger does that or transfers at Garfield to the R95.

As I understand art's original post, whatever the cell phone was telling the people, it was not to stay on the Red Line until 63-Halsted. Hence, it certainly wasn't Google Transit.

*Also, I see a 381 option, so while Pace is not on Google Transit, CTA must have fed the alternating 95/381 schedule.

Aside from maybe the number of transfers(such as assuming Gene King's hypothetical trip from 97th and Halsted having options via 112 and then either 29 or R95), it is clear that Google Transit provides options, and that all options using the 63-Halsted station (such as Howard to South Halsted*) all refer to staying on the Red Line. The only debate is whether the passenger does that or transfers at Garfield to the R95.

As I understand art's original post, whatever the cell phone was telling the people, it was not to stay on the Red Line until 63-Halsted. Hence, it certainly wasn't Google Transit.

*Also, I see a 381 option, so while Pace is not on Google Transit, CTA must have fed the alternating 95/381 schedule.

But as I remember art's post the couple with the cell phone was going north, not south toward 63rd-Halsted or Ashland/63. That was a completely different rider. Hence my mention of RTA's Trip Planner in addition to Google transit.

Google has been giving me pace options for the past few months. I can plan trips to Harvey, deep oak park, Rosemont or maybe further reaching suburbs and pace options definately show up. And I use a smartphone google map app but it shows on a computer as well

Google has been giving me pace options for the past few months. I can plan trips to Harvey, deep oak park, Rosemont or maybe further reaching suburbs and pace options definately show up. And I use a smartphone google map app but it shows on a computer as well

But as I remember art's post the couple with the cell phone was going north, not south toward 63rd-Halsted or Ashland/63. That was a completely different rider. Hence my mention of RTA's Trip Planner in addition to Google transit.

One was NB and the other was southbound. But in the northbound case, they still let a Red Line pass them, when that was what they wanted, and got on a Harlem-Lake train instead.

The northbound ones at least should have figured (after letting the Red Line train pass) to transfer back to the Red Line at Roosevelt. Even though that would have been an unnecessary walk through the tunnel, it still would have been better than needing a live fare card for a free transfer down two sets of stairs at State and Lake. From what art was saying, they didn't realize their mistake until the train stayed on the L structure instead of going into the subway.

Right you are. I tried a couple solely in the suburbs, and it offered purely Pace, or Pace and Metra suggestions. A couple had a few unnecessary transfers between Pace routes (maybe the transfer routing was a bit faster).

So, CTA having the legend saying to use Goroo if the trip involves Pace, or Pace's link to the RTA Trip Planner are superfluous.

With 3 days away from being two months into the project, crews have begun laying the ties down for the new tracks from 95th heading north. The elevator 87th is started to make progress as well. Will try to capture more pics soon.

You answered the question that popped in my mind this morning when it occurred to me that Friday makes it two months in with three more to go with the project. Thanks. And looking at the Facebook photos on CTA's account I see that they're also redoing the tracks that lead to the elevated structure. Makes sense, considering there's bound to be a need to reroute the Red Line from the subway to the elevated tracks from some future emergency situation or due to some future maintenance work in the subway.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In a week we will officially be 3 months into the project. Here's a quick update.

Track has been laid up to the reverse curve north of 69th (I think only the ties have been laid on the curve), also 87th interlocking has its signals. Activity near 95th has died down noticeably now that the track and signal work is pretty much done around there. Last time I took the Orange Line I think I've seen new tracks on the connector, I'll check that again sometime this week to be sure. Station-wise, huge progress is starting to show as far as lighting at some stations; as far as elevators are concerned, they reattached the floors around the elevators and you can now see the basic layout of the new stairways and where the elevator would lead from street to platform level

• Upvote 5

• 1 month later...

They also are sending out a few #2600 test trains here and there out of Ashland/63rd that were running from Roosevelt red line down to around 18th. Federal Junction has working signals now and most of the work seems done especially on the south end, just a few touchups on the stations, 87th was needing some canopy work at it's south end. Tracks seem to be done from 95th - 55th, but Artthouwill did report they needed third rail around 33rd. CTA has already started the pick for the new Red line, they should be opening it back up on time by Oct 20th, if we're lucky sooner.

They also are sending out a few #2600 test trains here and there out of Ashland/63rd that were running from Roosevelt red line down to around 18th. Federal Junction has working signals now and most of the work seems done especially on the south end, just a few touchups on the stations, 87th was needing some canopy work at it's south end. Tracks seem to be done from 95th - 55th, but Artthouwill did report they needed third rail around 33rd. CTA has already started the pick for the new Red line, they should be opening it back up on time by Oct 20th, if we're lucky sooner.

Yes, I've seen they're putting the third rails from Cermak-Chinatown station near the Stevenson while driving along the Ryan. Also, some new elevators at 55th and 87th Street stations as well. Can't wait till Oct. 20th.