Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

Today, I've seen the CTA bus stop sign of the Cermak-Chinatown-Roosevelt Shuttle bus at the corner of Roosevelt Road and State Street for the Red Line. They're getting ready to go this Sunday. :)

I've seen markings on the pavement at the Dan Ryan terminal for where shuttles load up when I was coming home.... In the inner area at the 95E stop

Looks like the #R22 might be ran with artics after all. According to the Red eye service on that route is going to be every 9 minutes which sounds like 2 to 3 buses. They claim the #R95 is going to run every 3 to 5 minutes. I thought the #R95 service was load and go. I don't know if there going to put these routes on Bustracker but they should especially in the case of #R22

Looks like the #R22 might be ran with artics after all. According to the Red eye service on that route is going to be every 9 minutes which sounds like 2 to 3 buses. They claim the #R95 is going to run every 3 to 5 minutes. I thought the #R95 service was load and go. I don't know if there going to put these routes on Bustracker but they should especially in the case of #R22

As I noted a couple of weeks ago, the Google Trip Planner rolled out for this project in advance suggests trips using R buses, although apparently does not prefer them. Hence, there must be some sort of schedule for Google to have that information, but I believe you are correct that they said "load and go," and R routes are not on the list of advance schedules.

Yes, saw an arctic "Training Bus" around noon today on NB Wentworth between Cermak and Archer. It had at least twenty other personnel on it.

Yes, saw an arctic "Training Bus" around noon today on NB Wentworth between Cermak and Archer. It had at least twenty other personnel on it.

Those are 'Instructional Buses' training those drivers, in case they are assigned to do that specific run, or the Garfield Feeder Shuttles.

Had time to take a "before" ride today on the Red Line South from before Roosevelt to 95th. There were the slow zones and there were a few locations with workers on it. Took over an hour to get from Roosevelt to 95th SB/Took over 45 minutes to go NB and we caught up to the train in front of us which had left 3-5 minutes earlier.

Notes: Rail and ties stored on the E side of tracks at 18th. Long welded rail S of Cermak in the median barrier. Barrier cutouts next to the SB tracks in place just N of I-55. Barrier being cut out next to SB tracks under the Ryan express lane flyover S of I-55. Lots of crew on tracks N of 35th and S of 87th. Going SB between 35th and 47th got passed by a 24 Wentworth going about twice our speed. CTA employee was on our SB train since at least Roosevelt - got up at 47th to pass out reconstruction flyers to everyone in our car (first car) - then sat back down to talk with the same woman he was talking with before - never did get to the other 7 cars on the way to 95th. There's concurrent overhead bridge freight rail ex[ansion/widening supports going in next to that rail line (is that part of Englewood Flyover-Freight/Amtrak improvement?) Spotted arctic training buses next to Chinatown/Cermak station, SB on Dan Ryan S of 87th and NB on Dan Ryan at 71st. Rode a 2600 series SB and a 5000 series NB. The 2600 was a lot cleaner.

..There's concurrent overhead bridge freight rail ex[ansion/widening supports going in next to that rail line (is that part of Englewood Flyover-Freight/Amtrak improvement?)...

Basically yes, but in most stories about lane closures and the like indicate that Metra is the lead agency (apparently removing a conflict between the RI District and the freight tracks).

1. Shuttle bus stops posted terminal at Garfield is ready, how will they transfer trains over the 16th overpass to green line tracks?

Trains will be transferred in service and drags. Run eight car trains to Howard when four are run normally, Friday midnight through Saturday midnight. Store the extra cars. Run eight car trains to Ashland/63 on Sunday through early Monday. Run remaining cars as drags which could be up to ten cars.

• Upvote 1

A Sun-Times article, Wells Street bridge closure teaches CTA lessons for Red Line reconstruction, seems to clear up some of the questions raised above.

• Artics are not needed all the time.
  • During peak hours, buses will be load and go, but otherwise, somewhere between every 8 to 12 minutes.
  • Special branding.
  • Dry runs have been run.

Also, the noon news had Mayor Emanuel at 95th giving out brochures and glad-handing. I wonder if someone from Milwaukee should head out there.

Also, on Channel 32, they interviewed someone named Jameel, who said he didn't know what he was going to do.

A Sun-Times article, Wells Street bridge closure teaches CTA lessons for Red Line reconstruction, seems to clear up some of the questions raised above.

• During peak hours, buses will be load and go, but otherwise, somewhere between every 8 to 12 minutes.
  • Special branding.

The one flaw with the SunTimes article is that they forget in this project there will be no CTA rail service south of 63rd. So the artics will be needed a heck of a lot more than they think. In the Wells project the Orange, Green and Pink lines still served Loop stations. One sticking point I have with the communication of alternatives is that the TV news media especially keeps giving the impression that there is no Red line south of Roosevelt when they explain the shuttles. They keep saying riders will get shuttled from different closed Dan Ryan stations to the Garfield Green line and will have to take the Green line into downtown. They don't mention the Red line is on the Green line tracks from Roosevelt to Ashland and 63rd.

Also I spotted notices of bus berthing changes at 95th on the fare boxes of all south side standard size buses I've been on and on a number of artics regardless of which side of town those were from.

The one flaw with the SunTimes article is that they forget in this project there will be no CTA rail service south of 63rd. So the artics will be needed a heck of a lot more than they think. ...

Hard to tell. To a certain extent we are assuming that all day is 7:30 a.m or 5:45 p.m., and everyone is going to 95th. There certainly would be a question about how many people are going to 69th at noon, for instance (especially since the 71 bus is being extended), and one would assume that the R55 would meet up with projected arrival times at Garfield.

One does wonder, though, whether CTA has hourly numbers, instead of the daily average boardings reflected in the Ridership Report.

The ... TV news media especially keeps giving the impression that there is no Red line south of Roosevelt when they explain the shuttles. They keep saying riders will get shuttled from different closed Dan Ryan stations to the Garfield Green line and will have to take the Green line into downtown. They don't mention the Red line is on the Green line tracks from Roosevelt to Ashland and 63rd.

That's the inconsistency I noted with regard to such things as the CTA schedules referring to the "Halsted Red Line station." That might be technically correct for the next 5 months, but I'll bet that 90% of Chicagoans know that as the "Halsted Green Line station."

And, of course, there are (until tomorrow) both Garfield Red and Green line stations. The first will be closed and the second will have both Red and Green Line trains.

• Special branding.

It seems to me that the R95 should be run with artics exclusively because of the volume of traiffic coming from the other CTA and Pace routes that serve the terminal. I believe the other R shuttle routes can get by with 40' buses, considering that some riders who normally take 79th and 69th buses have a better north-south route alternative to connect to the Red and Green Lines.

It amazes me that people who have lived in Chicago most , if not all of their lives and take public transportation on a daily basis still have no clue as to how to get around this city if their preferred route is canceled, rerouted, or whatever. The one lady who lived in Englewood (according to the article) perplexed me the most. Is she really that stupid? Really? The only thing in her day that is changing is catching the Red Line from Ashland or Halsted (if the Red Line is her normal commute). You don't have to be a transit geek to figure out how to get around. And the south side is the EASIEST part of town to get around.

I always tried to teach my children how to read street signs and correlate addresses with them. I always tried to teach them about expressway signage and what certain colors and certain numbers meant to make sure that when they went somewhere, it minimized the chances of getting lost. Once that is learned, then the transit part becomes easier. I actually picked up the pattern of Chicago by riding the buses and trains, but Minneapolis I learned by car, then by riding some of the buses in Minneapolis and St Paul. And it never hurts to pay attention by looking out the windows as well as getting a map and studying it.

I remember when the Lake/Dan Ryan and the Englewood/Jackson Pk/Howard became the Howard/Dan Ryan (Red Line) and the Englewood/Jackson Pk/Lake (Green Line). People then acted so confused. REally? State St is one block west of Wabash and one block throws your commute off? Smh.

One more thought. I don't know why CTA never considered temporarily reopening the Racine station on the Green Line for better connections unless the station is so beyond repair. I don't think they would've had to bring it to ADA standards if the station would only be open temporarily, and if they could build new steps at Garfield, and replace the wooden platform at Cicero/Lake, the same could've been done at Racine.

Interesting that you mentioned Racine station....and it would need new platforms. But for five months, I doubt the expense is justified. But they did send the carpenters through 61st St. yard and replaced any wood planknig that was in need of repair. The old planking had that bleached look so you'll esily see the repair work, nice, new, creosote.......mmm, the smell of creosote in the morning!

• Upvote 1

As far as the ole lady.....I wouldn't get too worried about her or about anyone else reported to be "clueless" to what's going on with the Ryan closure. Media people will be out in droves scouring the neighborhood, but what we don't know is how many interviews they did to get the one or two or three we read or hear in their report. Their assignment editor has them looking for the unusual and that would be the person who is totally unaware. If it took twenty interviews to finally get the ole lady who's lost, so be it. If they did a report and all the people said they had routes preplanned, they know the costs and have exact change ready, the story would become "Well, the CTA really did a good job!!" That wouldn't sell newspapers. Are the thjunderstorms still in Monday's forecast.??

Learning the streets in Chicago is indeed easy, true; especially compared to back East. Our section square miles with their section streets and half section strets are a "piece of cake." The cable cars and the street cars used them yesterday and the bus lines followed in their place. The 'L's not so much as they were forced mostly to build "through the blocks." Do you know the pattern of the township lines. This includes every third and sixth section street. Chicago's street numbering did not quite line up with the township section lines, State St. is OK but Madison St. is not. 12 th St. and North Ave. are township lines and township half-lines. Our downtown started because of where the river emptied into the lake. Going west from State is Western, Cicero, Harlem, 25th Ave., Cook County line...you see the pattern.

Art you hit on the one other thing that annoyed me with news coverage of this project, the number of folks who they claim to not know an immediate transit alternative to the Red Line Dan Ryan stretch. Every time I heard or read that my mind had a WTF reaction. Any time I go anywhere in the city on public transit I always learn how to get there from multiple transit route combinations just from the aspect of the system having routes that only operate specific days and/or times. I never understood this my regular route is disrupted or rerouted so now I don't know how to get around thing. We have too many routes in this city for anyone to get away with that.

Hard to tell. To a certain extent we are assuming that all day is 7:30 a.m or 5:45 p.m., and everyone is going to 95th. There certainly would be a question about how many people are going to 69th at noon, for instance (especially since the 71 bus is being extended), and one would assume that the R55 would meet up with projected arrival times at Garfield.

One does wonder, though, whether CTA has hourly numbers, instead of the daily average boardings reflected in the Ridership Report.

That's the inconsistency I noted with regard to such things as the CTA schedules referring to the "Halsted Red Line station." That might be technically correct for the next 5 months, but I'll bet that 90% of Chicagoans know that as the "Halsted Green Line station."

And, of course, there are (until tomorrow) both Garfield Red and Green line stations. The first will be closed and the second will have both Red and Green Line trains.

Well given there will be no Green Line trains on that section of track for five months starting tonight, Ashland/63 and Halsted won't be Green Line stations. Technicality or no, they have to put Red Line instead of Green on the schedule maps of relevant routes giving service to those stations otherwise you'd have folks bellyaching why do bus schedules show Green Line when there are no Green Line trains there. So technically for any bus schedules or maps effective tomorrow, that's not an inconsistency. It only becomes an inconsistency come October 19th when they redo the bus and train schedules and any schedule maps of that effective date are still saying Red instead of Green.

One thing I'm not understanding is if the shuttles are not load em-n-go outside of weekday rush hours why they don't put schedules together for them or show them on Bus Tracker. PACE is a step ahead when it comes to 924/925 since those do have a schedule and are on WebWatch. I'd imagine that when affected south side riders come off the Red Line at Garfield or coming from a connecting bus route at points south of 63rd they still want to know how long it will be for the next arriving relevant shuttles to continue to where they need to go.