Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

One thing I'm not understanding is if the shuttles are not load em-n-go outside of weekday rush hours why they don't put schedules together for them or show them on Bus Tracker. PACE is a step ahead when it comes to 924/925 since those do have a schedule and are on WebWatch. I'd imagine that when affected south side riders come off the Red Line at Garfield or coming from a connecting bus route at points south of 63rd they still want to know how long it will be for the next arriving relevant shuttles to continue to where they need to go.

As previously mentioned, the R routes are on the Google Trip Planner, so there is some sort of schedule. Someone else pointed out correctly that the R routes are on the schedule pulldown, but all that is on their pages is an RSS link, not a schedule pdf.

And, as far as I could tell, 924 and 925 are not on WebWatch. I looked last week. I am not able to verify that right now, because it appears that the pulldown is an abbreviated Sunday list of routes.

As previously mentioned, the R routes are on the Google Trip Planner, so there is some sort of schedule. Someone else pointed out correctly that the R routes are on the schedule pulldown, but all that is on their pages is an RSS link, not a schedule pdf.

And, as far as I could tell, 924 and 925 are not on WebWatch. I looked last week. I am not able to verify that right now, because it appears that the pulldown is an abbreviated Sunday list of routes.

That was me who pointed out their being on the schedule pulldowns. But you would still think they would put more than just an RSS link. And I think we all know the Google Trip Planner and actually having a physical schedule in front of you readily on hand to give you an idea of who far apart shuttles should be at a given point in the day or specific day of the week are not the same thing. You yourself made the point that the shuttles don't seem to always be favored on the Google planner. My mistake on the 924 and 925 on the WebWatch part if they aren't there. But the point is CTA is still a step behind.on the point of schedules that can be printed from a pdf and kept for quick reference without having to click back and forth through the trip planner.

One thing I'm not understanding is if the shuttles are not load em-n-go outside of weekday rush hours why they don't put schedules together for them or show them on Bus Tracker. PACE is a step ahead when it comes to 924/925 since those do have a schedule and are on WebWatch. I'd imagine that when affected south side riders come off the Red Line at Garfield or coming from a connecting bus route at points south of 63rd they still want to know how long it will be for the next arriving relevant shuttles to continue to where they need to go.

I can understand why there wouldn't be a schedule per se, given that departures from either end are dependent on arrivals from connecting routes. You wouldn't want an empty bus leaving when at least two connecting buses or a train is close to arriving with a load. The timings could fluctuate from day to day depending on traffic, weather, or train delays.

• Upvote 1

I took a drive down the Dan Ryan this afternoon. It was very strange not seeing any trains or people on the platforms. I did see a R79 and a R87 going southbound. I saw workers on the tracks from 87th south into the yard.

One odd thing..there was a consist of 2400's sitting in the yard. There were no other cars. I would have thought there'd be no cars left.

I can understand why there wouldn't be a schedule per se, given that departures from either end are dependent on arrivals from connecting routes. You wouldn't want an empty bus leaving when at least two connecting buses or a train is close to arriving with a load. The timings could fluctuate from day to day depending on traffic, weather, or train delays.

That side of it I can understand. I guess what needs to be cleared up is are the buses load and go at all times of operation or is that just for weekday rush and then revert to every x number of minutes? Either way it's sounding more to me like I should be glad I've rarely had need of the Red Line at its south end.

One odd thing..there was a consist of 2400's sitting in the yard. There were no other cars. I would have thought there'd be no cars left.

Perhaps they are going to be used as work motors during this reconstruction? Just a thought.

I did ride an R22 shuttle to and from Roosevelt for a quick errand. At least 4 shuttles were used: 4012, 4046, 4333, 4344. It appears Kedzie will be running the R22.

I rode 4344 to Roosevelt and 4012 back.

post-270-0-91794600-1368997207_thumb.jpg

Well whether they put a schedule link or not, they goofed the R95's Service description. They put the following:

icon-bus-h1.gifR95 95th-Garfield Express All CTA buses are accessible. Route Information

Service Description: Starting May 19: Free, express shuttle between closed 69th station on Red Line South and Garfield for Red & Green Line trains.

Service Hours:
Garfield (Red, Green) south to 95th/Dan Ryan
4a-1a weekdays, 4a-1a Saturday, 4a-1a Sunday
95th/Dan Ryan north to Garfield (Red, Green)
4a-1a weekdays, 4a-1a Saturday, 4a-1a Sunday

(Precise hours of service vary depending on where along the route you are, see schedule, use the online trip planner, or call 312-836-7000 for precise travel information.)

Of course we know express shuttle service between 69th/Dan Ryan and Garfield Red/Green is the R69.

I took a drive down the Dan Ryan this afternoon. It was very strange not seeing any trains or people on the platforms. I did see a R79 and a R87 going southbound. I saw workers on the tracks from 87th south into the yard.

The six car train of 2400s in 98th St. yard was intentionally abandoned and isolated. As the Ryan work is scheduled to be done from south to north, those six cars will not be "work motors", but will be the "test train" when sections are completed and powered up, begining with the yard and then 95th to say, 87th and so on. Pictures coming.

The six car train of 2400s in 98th St. yard was intentionally abandoned and isolated. As the Ryan work is scheduled to be done from south to north, those six cars will not be "work motors", but will be the "test train" when sections are completed and powered up, begining with the yard and then 95th to say, 87th and so on. Pictures coming.

Explain to me Lucy. Why would you plan work to be complete from south to north? Wouldn't be better to do it opposite and as it gets completed open sections southward. I am sure that would take some of the pressure off. By going south to north, there is no hope of being able to do anything like that and then you are commited to nothing but bus shuttles the entire time.

• Upvote 1

That side of it I can understand. I guess what needs to be cleared up is are the buses load and go at all times of operation or is that just for weekday rush and then revert to every x number of minutes? Either way it's sounding more to me like I should be glad I've rarely had need of the Red Line at its south end.

I don't know for sure, but it would seem that the R95 would be load and go through most of the day due to the high volume of connecting routes. The other R routes can get by with 8 to 12 minute headways consistently during off peak hours. Perhaps the R95 can too, but that would be the route I would put artics on.

I don't know for sure, but it would seem that the R95 would be load and go through most of the day due to the high volume of connecting routes. The other R routes can get by with 8 to 12 minute headways consistently during off peak hours. Perhaps the R95 can too, but that would be the route I would put artics on.

Well on the topic of artics, no one has reported that they've seen any using 40 foot buses and nflyer22 reported that R22 is being done by artics from Kedzie. And that one is short just like R69. As a matter of fact it's the shortest out the bunch. So sounds like to me all of them are operated with artics.

... But you would still think they would put more than just an RSS link. And I think we all know the Google Trip Planner and actually having a physical schedule in front of you readily on hand to give you an idea of who far apart shuttles should be at a given point in the day or specific day of the week are not the same thing....

The only reason I cited the Trip Planner was to indicate that buses were running on some sort of schedule.

Admittedly, there should be some sort of printed timetable, but maybe we are expecting too much for the first day. We don't know what was in the pamphlets Ambassador Rahm was giving out at 95th (unless someone was down there).

The main thing that probably counts is that if someone gets off at Garfield, there is a bus waiting for them. In the rush hour, hopefully queued up.

Explain to me Lucy. Why would you plan work to be complete from south to north? Wouldn't be better to do it opposite and as it gets completed open sections southward. I am sure that would take some of the pressure off. By going south to north, there is no hope of being able to do anything like that and then you are commited to nothing but bus shuttles the entire time.

From the CTA saying that everything from Cermak-Chinatown to 95th being closed to passengers the whole five months from today to October 19th, they're committed to the shuttles the whole five months anyway so it would make no difference really which direction they do the work in from that standpoint.

• Upvote 1

I am not employed by those who made that determination. I learned this from the Tribune article, published last week. They said the contractors have divided the work at 33rd St. and the two halves will be completed from south to north. Your idea of opening sections seems moreprone to further confusion and disruption...lets finish this whole thing in the five months and be done with it. Now the pics.....

Here is 98th St. yard from the State St. viaduct. First is the original yard, west of the viaduct. The six car 2400 cars are parked next to the shop building. Hopefullly there is enough video coverage to prevent any graffiti criminals from getting access for the five months.

P1110205-1.jpg

P1110207.jpg

On the east side of the viaduct is the yard extension put in when the Ryan was reconnected from the Lake Street to Howard St. The extension is actually in the median of the Bishop Ford Freeway. Way off next to the fence line is the diesel powered snow thrower/sweeper that will also spend its summer in the sun. The "fence-track" on the extreme right is the track charters run on when they want to go as far south as possible on the 'L'.

P1110208.jpg

• Upvote 3

The only reason I cited the Trip Planner was to indicate that buses were running on some sort of schedule.

Admittedly, there should be some sort of printed timetable, but maybe we are expecting too much for the first day. We don't know what was in the pamphlets Ambassador Rahm was giving out at 95th (unless someone was down there).

The main thing that probably counts is that if someone gets off at Garfield, there is a bus waiting for them. In the rush hour, hopefully queued up.

That's true, though quite frankly I don't put too much faith in Rahm either as mayor or CTA ambassador beyond his going for the latest photo op. But back to the CTA, maybe we are expecting too much on the first day, but in a way they've had practice with documenting new routes whether temporary such as these or permanent like the 115. I suppose I'm too stuck in the thought that if they went through the trouble of assigning it a route number, there should be some from of printed timetable beyond a generic operates daily 4AM-1AM, 24 hours or 1AM-4AM.

Well on the topic of artics, no one has reported that they've seen any using 40 foot buses and nflyer22 reported that R22 is being done by artics from Kedzie. And that one is short just like R69. As a matter of fact it's the shortest out the bunch. So sounds like to me all of them are operated with artics.

For a Sunday, I don't think the artics are necessary for the R22; there were plenty of seats leftover both ways I rode. For a typical weekday, perhaps. I'll try to get more coverage as the week progresses.

The bus to 'L' transfer at Garfield-Green seems to be ready for its first rush hour tests on Monday, with a little weather thrown in. The park-n-ride lot at Garfield is one of the cheapest, charging only $2. Ashland/63 lot also only charges $2. Both lots never fill to 1/3 capacity as many people park for free on surrounding streets instead. Conversion of Garfield to a shuttle terminal eliminated most of the free parking on the immediate blocks on either side of the station. The entire block on Prairie Ave. is reserved for bus parking and unloading. Motorist also lost three blocks of street parking at 95th along State St. The photos show the west auxiliary stairway and the entrance which advertises free admittance. The third photo shows a SB Red line train approaching Garfield.

GarfieldExtraEntranceExit.jpg

SignCloseup.jpg

ApproachGarfield.jpg

Its been a while since Budd 2600 series cars were on the south side 'L'. This same 'L' structure supported the steam powered trains in the mid 1890s. Its a sure bet that throughout this five month swirl of excitment few will notice the original Garfield stationhouse tucked underneath the structure on the south side of the boulevard. The stationhouse is said to be the oldest surviving in the nation.

P1020470.jpg

But speaking of crowds, here's the Worlds Series crowd boarding the 'L' at 35th St. (CTA Photo) Hope Garfield doesn't look like this in the coming week, LOL.

35thBurned_0002.jpg

• Upvote 2

Quick Update...First am rush...no problems. Ashland didn't see heavy loading as expected. Howard every now and then would swap runs due to Roosevelt short turns needing 5000 equipment. Two gap trains staged at 61st St. NB. They don't show up on the map until are boarding at Garfield NB. I'm betting the SB Reds are turned at Roosevelt the old fashioned way....in days of North-South route, trains could be turned there using the unused middle stub track. Plenty of track brake descending downgrade towards a concrete wall, LOL. Of course today, that stub is the track from the Ryan connector.

FoxChicago News wants you to tweet your commuting experience, and you can get it on the crawl. However, they don't #timestamp when the R87 bus left with only 16 passengers, for instance. But get your #hashtags and @s out there. Even @Forrest_Claypool did.

Is this really #journalism?