Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

As of 3am/CT, I guess we're on the final 168-hour countdown before the biggest rail reconstruction project since the Green Line shutdown of 1994-1996, commences.

This has to be a lot bigger. At the time of the Green Line shut down, CTA was saying that it was saving money because personnel wasn't needed to operate the trains and as station agents, and, at least on the south side, replacement 38 service was an articulated bus every 10 or 20 minutes. On both that and the 23 Washington Blvd. replacement, the articulated buses were eventually replaced with regular ones.

Also, in retrospect, the construction did not seem that thorough (at least 3 stations were not initially rebuilt, but were later, slow zones reappeared), and while passenger volume returned on the Lake portion, you can look at the current Ridership Reports to see that it is still low on the south side portion, and, of course, buses rerouted to the Red Line (on Pershing, 43rd, and 51st) were never put back on their regular routes. I really doubt that the 8A and 71 extensions are going to last past November.

This has to be a lot bigger. At the time of the Green Line shut down, CTA was saying that it was saving money because personnel wasn't needed to operate the trains and as station agents, and, at least on the south side, replacement 38 service was an articulated bus every 10 or 20 minutes. On both that and the 23 Washington Blvd. replacement, the articulated buses were eventually replaced with regular ones.

Also, in retrospect, the construction did not seem that thorough (at least 3 stations were not initially rebuilt, but were later, slow zones reappeared), and while passenger volume returned on the Lake portion, you can look at the current Ridership Reports to see that it is still low on the south side portion, and, of course, buses rerouted to the Red Line (on Pershing, 43rd, and 51st) were never put back on their regular routes. I really doubt that the 8A and 71 extensions are going to last past November.

38 was actually operated with 40' buses. That's also how 23 started out, but later, the 40' buses were replaced by artics.

38 was actually operated with 40' buses. That's also how 23 started out, but later, the 40' buses were replaced by artics.

Yes the 38 replacement route on the south end was always run with 40 foot buses. It started out with MAN Americanas and then with the 74th replacing 69th garage and the subsequent move of Americanas 4149-4221 getting moved to North Park upon the last 6000s pouring in getting assigned to 74th finished with almost an even split between Americanas and 6000s. The 23 started out with Americanas from Kedzie but after Chicago opened and all east west routes from Madison to Fullerton that were previously at Kedzie got reassigned to Chicago, it finished with former Archer MAN artics that were reassigned temporarily to Chicago until the end of the Green Line shutdown. CTA even had mylar curtain rolls with red "23 Washington Express" destination signs made for those artics.

Speaking of rerouted buses to the Red Line, none of them except the 75, based on its previewed schedule map, will be doing those diversions for the duration of the shutdown from the looks of it. Looks like they will all be running straight when they come near the Red Line. For those that apply, they will divert to relevant temporary Red Line stations at Garfield Red/Green and at Halsted and Ashland/63rd on the Englewood tracks.

Yes the 38 replacement route on the south end was always run with 40 foot buses....

Shows what about 17 years of memory might do to me. I definitely remember the MAN 4000s on 38. Wasn't sure it if was a 69 or 77 garage route, but 4000s from Ashland and 69th barn to Ashland and 63 would make sense.

Also, my latest recollection of 23 was some of the usual Chicago garage 5400s lined up in Oak Park.

I rode from Belmont to 95th this morning. Left Belmont at 9:04, arrived Roosevelt 9:22, arrived 95th 9:54. Guess we'll see what that takes in a few months, huh?

Well back when slow zones were down to nearly none my freshman/sophomore year it was about 40 mins.

It took an hour from Sheridan to 95th 10 years ago, so it's not much different now.

At about that time, CTA was putting time segments on their maps at the stations. I suppose if someone had archived those.... And if they were accurate....

However, Emanuel sure gave the impression during his campaign that the Dan Ryan portion had suddenly deteriorated. Very suddenly.

However, Emanuel sure gave the impression during his campaign that the Dan Ryan portion had suddenly deteriorated. Very suddenly.

I take that as a way to get support from south siders during the election.... Budget recommendations have had plans for work on the Dan Ryan for some years before his election (as early as 2008) so maybe he caught wind of that and put it out in the open so heavily so he can get more support.... After all, south side has been said to be getting shafted because of race so what better way to gain support and votes than to announce a plan to rebuild the "backbone to the south side" while at the same time as we pointed out earlier, a series of single tracks occur for maintenence for a, whole year and now suddenly we're at this point where the whole line can't stay together after regular maintenence

.... Budget recommendations have had plans for work on the Dan Ryan for some years before his election (as early as 2008)....

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe you mean somewhere in the CTA budget recommendations, but the state money for the Build Illinois program was first authorized in Public Act 96-35, effective 7/13/2009, and the money couldn't be released until the Wirtz litigation challenging the liquor tax portion of PA 96-34 was resolved, about two years later, which gets us to Emanuel running in 2011.

Anyway, prior to the posting on Emanuel's campaign website, the talk was about the north side, not the south.

I did note that it was curious that during the campaign, Emanuel said he was at 95th 10 times, but there wasn't any indication that shuttling down the line for 5 months was part of his plans. Maybe you know somebody who actually saw him at 95th. :rolleyes:

I'm not so sure about that. Maybe you mean somewhere in the CTA budget recommendations, but the state money for the Build Illinois program was first authorized in Public Act 96-35, effective 7/13/2009, and the money couldn't be released until the Wirtz litigation challenging the liquor tax portion of PA 96-34 was resolved, about two years later, which gets us to Emanuel running in 2011.

Anyway, prior to the posting on Emanuel's campaign website, the talk was about the north side, not the south.

I did note that it was curious that during the campaign, Emanuel said he was at 95th 10 times, but there wasn't any indication that shuttling down the line for 5 months was part of his plans. Maybe you know somebody who actually saw him at 95th. :rolleyes:

Acrually that would be me. :lol:. I seen him and Claypool while going to high school. (didn't me witnessing artics at the Dan Ryan terminal on multiple occasions especially Run #1311 on the 95E interlining with 108 at 5 am give a hint that Im in that area? :lol:. I've seen and can back up pretty much anything that goes on in this area if its mentioned in a forum here, how else can I counter debates about south side service and the gray line with such confidence? :lol:)

Acrually that would be me. :lol:. I seen him and Claypool while going to high school. (didn't me witnessing artics at the Dan Ryan terminal on multiple occasions especially Run #1311 on the 95E interlining with 108 at 5 am give a hint that Im in that area? :lol:. I've seen and can back up pretty much anything that goes on in this area if its mentioned in a forum here which is why I was able to hit close to home on the subject of artics at 77th and other subjects south side related )

I guess I should have added to my question after "saw him at 95th": "...during the campaign and he then told the person that he was shutting down the Red Line for 5 months?" I implied the rest, but should have asked it explicitly.

• Upvote 1

Actually that picture is a bit of a brain teaser. So this is a picture of when the #2200's were new in 1969? I initially thought that myself. But there's a picture of Willis Tower in the background. Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) opened in 1974. So if the picture were in 1969, I'm wondering what were the Willis Tower construction workers doing for 5 years. Actually according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_tower the Willis Tower didn't start construction until 1971. So I'm assuming the picture is actually in 1973 or 74. BTW, in October when a new map comes out I'm wondering if they will have #5000's on the new Red line south (Dan Ryan branch)

Actually that picture is a bit of a brain teaser. So this is a picture of when the #2200's were new in 1969? I initially thought that myself. But there's a picture of Willis Tower in the background. Willis Tower (formerly Sears Tower) opened in 1974. So if the picture were in 1969, I'm wondering what were the Willis Tower construction workers doing for 5 years. Actually according to Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Willis_tower the Willis Tower didn't start construction until 1971. So I'm assuming the picture is actually in 1973 or 74. BTW, in October when a new map comes out I'm wondering if they will have #5000's on the new Red line south (Dan Ryan branch)

You strained the limits of my memory again. My somewhat extensive collection of maps does not support me, but anyway...

If my memory is working, that picture is from a map cover around 1974.

In any event, it is not from a map that would have been a salute to either the opening of the Dan Ryan line or the receipt of the 2200 series cars, because that 1969 map didn't have any picture. And I demonstrated here before that I have that map.

If anything, the 1970 map on chicago-l.org commemorates the opening of the Dan Ryan, but the picture has a 2000 car.

Usually you have to shoot electronic displays at a slow speed because it takes a whole 1/60 second for the entire display to be shown. If you shoot faster than 1/30, you only get a part of the display.

The training train is to certify Red line operators and familiarize them with the Green line tracks, signals, operations, and the south incline operations. Red line switchmen who are "foreign road qualified" presumably are already qualified.

I saw that train from the delayed Purple Express I was on. Just an FYI the Purple Express 2400 series consist I was on had the new roll installed with the red 63rd signs. I noticed it after the train was pulling into the Belmont stop after running express from Merchandise Mart because it was delayed at 20 mins due to whatever was going on at Armitage this morning. When the sign was scrolling back to Linden from Express, I noticed the red Ashland/63 signs are positioned just above the Linden destination of the Purple section of the roll.

You can look through the motorman's outside window from the platform and see all the signs a particular car carries posted on the inside cab wall. Reportedly those red Ashland/63rd signs on 2600s used the former red Roosevelt location which then caused an order that only 5000s will be used for the short turn Red line trains at Roosevelt. The schedule department had not come up with the short turn scheduling when the 2600 series roll signs were reworked. I bet the 2400s found a different location since they were used for the Brown line reroutes only weeks ago. Look to see if 2400s have both red Roosevelt and red Ashland signs.