Wilson Red/Purple Line Station Rebuild

BusHunter

• 2 weeks later...

Latest news at Wilson is they have connected the south portion of the new track 2 with the existing structure and it looks like the 3rd rail is installed also. i recorded a youtube video of the south end that shows the completed track 2 connection here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y317qYbehMc

Then I took some pictures of the progress, they are now putting up the tactile edge on the track 2 side of Wilson so it's getting close. Plus they have a bunch of small work cranes and dollys on those rails like they might be doing the geometry tests on it. Track 3 track installation has begun.

tactile edge installing 3rd rail and track 3 track installation begins 9-10.PNG

zoom up track 2 9-10.PNG

The north end looks pretty much unchanged from before.

zoom up north end of new structure wilson 9-10.PNG

wilson north end 9-10 sat.PNG

• Upvote 1

News flash, as of 9/26/16 the old east platform will close up for reconstruction. As for NB Red Line trains they will operate on Track 2 which mean NB & SB Red Line trains will be sharing the new west platform until the east platform is completed or very near completed. NB Purple Line Express trains will continue running on its current track until further notice.

7 hours ago, TaylorTank1229 said:

News flash, as of 9/26/16 the old east platform will close up for reconstruction.

I guess that "reconstruction" starts with "demolition."

As for NB Red Line trains they will operate on Track 2 which mean NB & SB Red Line trains will be sharing the new west platform until the east platform is completed or very near completed.

Predicted.

NB Purple Line Express trains will continue running on its current track until further notice.

Predicted by some of us, not others. From this, Track 3 isn't going into immediate service.

56 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Predicted.

Predicted by some of us, not others. From this, Track 3 isn't going into immediate service.

But the interesting part is how will a track 3 train get to track 2? I forget if there's a diamond crossover or not south of Montrose or will they just do a Waveland connection? You would think in the design any detouring would be built to use tracks 1 and 2 so this is not a typical scenario. One would also wonder if the signalling is bidirectional or they would need a pilot, I hope not for all those Red line trains. Also at Waveland if that is used how does a train get from track 1 to 2 at the same junction? Interesting. I guess I'll be over there to take a look later. You know whatever connection they use will probably be used as the rpm detour too. So this is i guess the dress rehearsal.

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

Predicted.

It's possible that that the demolition and reconstruction of the east platform will span across phase 3 and 4 since they have to do so reconfiguring from the abandoned NB platform that NB Purple Line Express trains pass not being readily accessible by passengers as a contingency as the old SB Purple platform used to be in contingency situations before the WIlson station rebuild even started. That old configuration allowed the old SB Purple platform to simply be rebuilt as the new west platform, which after the project is completed will be the shared platform between SB Red and Purple Line trains. It's not quite as simple on the NB side of things. Not only do they have to rip out what used to be the island platform for SB and NB Red Line trains, they have to also take out the abandoned platform that the current Track 4 passes and realign a new track 4 in such a way that it and the new Track 3 share a platform as the new Tracks 1 and 2 will. Somewhere along the way it's still a decent possibility of the new Track 3 going into use for NB Purple Line trains in the final stretches of the rebuild project. 

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

But the interesting part is how will a track 3 train get to track 2? I forget if there's a diamond crossover or not south of Montrose or will they just do a Waveland connection? You would think in the design any detouring would be built to use tracks 1 and 2 so this is not a typical scenario. One would also wonder if the signalling is bidirectional or they would need a pilot, I hope not for all those Red line trains. Also at Waveland if that is used how does a train get from track 1 to 2 at the same junction? Interesting. I guess I'll be over there to take a look later. You know whatever connection they use will probably be used as the rpm detour too. So this is i guess the dress rehearsal.

If you want to get an idea of how they might route trains off Track 3 to Track 2. Take a look at the interlockings to the north of Belmont Station near the junction of the Brown Line tracks with those of the Red and Purple Line tracks. Those interlockings show not just a switch from Track 4 to Track 3 to facilitate the diverging of NB Brown from the North Side Main, but also switchovers to Track 2 and Track 1 and vice versa. They may use something similar to that. Also Chicago-L.org does show that there was in fact a crossover at Montrose which allowed the crossover of any of the individual tracks to any of the other three. The larger concern is that throughout next week, CTA will need to get the northern part of that new Track 2 section connected to the rest of the line and get that temporary interlocking south of Lawrence reconfigured for rediverting NB Red Line trains off Track 2 back to Track 3 in time for the next phase to begin on September 26. 

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

They cant do anything south of waveland unless you want no sb red line service at addison. Even there what about sheridan?

Sheridan wouldn't be a problem, since it has two platforms. 

The Google Map isn't a huge help, since while (c) 2016, it only shows Track 1. However, there does seem to be some sort of crossover behind Target.

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Sheridan wouldn't be a problem, since it has two platforms. 

The Google Map isn't a huge help, since while (c) 2016, it only shows Track 1. However, there does seem to be some sort of crossover behind Target.

I was just going to say that myself. It should be in the video I linked earlier in the week on youtube. There are no other crossovers north of belmont going from track 2 to 3

On 9/11/2016 at 5:07 PM, BusHunter said:

Latest news at Wilson is they have connected the south portion of the new track 2 with the existing structure and it looks like the 3rd rail is installed also. i recorded a youtube video of the south end that shows the completed track 2 connection here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y317qYbehMc

Here are pictures from today of the progress at wilson. We'll start at the south end. The tactile  edging is now complete, they have what looks like sandboxes on the wooden pallets plus they now have the berth markers.

wilson south end 9-17.PNG

wilson train markers installed sand boxes on platform 9-17.PNG

Moving up the platform looks like they removed the wood surrounding the escalator exposing it for the first time.

wilson sneak a peek 9-17.PNG

wilson no bridge 9-17.PNG

As mentioned the bridge is gone. I wonder how they explain to someone getting on at broadway the train only goes north?

wilson sneak a peek 3 9-17.PNG

A look from the north end of the platform.  And below is some shots of the north structure. They still haven't connected the north end. It might be happening next weekend and then the following  monday they start the new phase. 

wilson sneak a peek 2 9-17.PNG

wilson north end 9-17.PNG

I took some nostalgic shots of the old wilson platform because this was probably my last trip to it. Maybe I'll  upload those.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, BusHunter said:

As mentioned the bridge is gone. I wonder how they explain to someone getting on at broadway the train only goes north?

If the new platform serves both Track 1 (SB) and Track 2 (NB, for now), how is this a problem? Either they can get to the new platform or nobody can. Unless you only meant until the north end of Track 2 is connected.

Based on the picture of the glass enclosure for the escalator, is there an indication that track 3 is also in there?

1 hour ago, BusHunter said:

Track 3 is being used right now. Problem hence why i asked the question.

Hmm no berth markers on track 2 going north???

Something is escaping me.

The current alert is:

alert.png

So, there seem to be temporary entrances and stairs to get to the new platform (which may answer your question).

43 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

they must be driving the ca nuts. Not everyone in uptown goes to transitchicago.com

If you mean by using the wrong entry, the alert implies that a CA was stationed there for that purpose. Also, I don't know of an instance where a paper alert was not posted on the site of the affected facility. I assume that the people at Truman College can read.

NOTE: I deleted my prior reply, as, on further reflection, it was not responsive.

1 minute ago, BusHunter said:

I didnt see one sign at the station at least on the platform remember i took pictures. o.O

By the platform is too late to be of any use to someone deciding what entrance to use. You or someone has to get on Wilson Ave.

30 minutes ago, Tcmetro said:

You cannot transfer back. I used Wilson two nights ago, and the signage (at the street entrances) was modified to say Howard only or 95th/Loop only.

By responding to BusHunter, you answered my question.

There are signs at street level saying which entrances goes to where. People using the Broadway entrance are not ambushed at the top of the stairway that the train doesn't go to 95th.

Also, as I indicated earlier, a sleeping BH can ride to Lawrence or Addison. CTA doesn't have to accommodate a "transfer back" at Wilson.