7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

I don't recall that as much as that 77th got some 1050s from Archer. In any event, the 1972 generation buses were pretty cleared out when 77th got roughly 7660s into the 7700s of the 1973 order.

You are correct.....In '73 77th received 124 7400 series (7656 - 7779 to be exact), plus a few upper-case 1000s from the Archer garage and, later a few 1100s from the 52-Cottage Grove garage. And of course, 1468 - 1524 were re-assigned to North Ave.  However, all I was saying in agreement with arthouwill's comment, is never say what CTA won't change. And this is especially true when it comes to the assignment of new equipment (be it the 7900s or 5000 series for that matter). When it comes to CTA, nothing is written in stone.  When you least expect it, they can change things around at the least whim and at any time. I've seen it too many times.

• Upvote 1

Or a really long ride to Chicago garage.

Can't be because they both went past Pulaski.

They went on a really long ride on 79th to Elston and up all the way to Forest Glen Garage just to pass by with a sound box attached to their temporarily disabled horns and as they pass the garage, the driver is instructed to press the horn pad so the workers can hear this....

• Upvote 2

In my wildest dreams I hope they purge the 1900's they stole from 77th. I know it probably won't happen. 

Dude are you still griping about those dinky Allison 1900s? Given that those things are scattered between Kedzie, Chicago and NP, I wouldn't really hold my breath on that.xD

I highly doubt that will happen!!!

It's not too far fetched actually as much as you want to believe the city has it in for the NW side in getting transit equipment. The recent history Art referenced is 77th being the first to get 6000s then giving most of them up to first Kedzie and then FG for then newly delivered 6400s, getting 4000s only to give them up to 103rd and get 40 foot buses from other garages, getting 4300s to give them all up to NP for 4000s, those 4000s then all being purged to Kedzie and 103rd a few short months later for more 1000s as sign yet again that 77th garage management has a thing against having artics at that garage for very long, and before I forget before the 4300s getting 1000s and then giving up more than half of them over time spread between Kedzie, FG, 103rd very small degree NP to become a three quarter 6400s garage for most of the 1000s' first half of service before purging those all off to FG, Chicago and 74th.

And I noticed Bushunter made the reference of 9 years in regards to NF age. That only applies to the oldest buses in the series, roughly the ones split originally between mostly Archer and Kedzie. Don't forget the series as a whole were delivered over the course of 3 years and that the youngest ones are just barely 6 years into their service lives. So if FG did get mainly 1000s to replace a chunk of its 6400s it would be better on FG to get pretty much the Allison powered ones since those are in fact the youngest out of the 1000s.

• Upvote 3

FG is saving that sound effect for when a 6400-Series Nova does this..

Based on the windows, it is an older model than CTA's. Also, since it is in Quebec City, whatever sound that bus is making is in French.

Based on the windows, it is an older model than CTA's. Also, since it is in Quebec City, whatever sound that bus is making is in French.

Drives home even more that there some garage/depot wrse off than FG. Plus the Canadian TAs have shown they have a knack for holding on to buses even longer than CTA does based on comments I've seen on YouTube videos of buses from Canadian cities.

Drives home even more that there some garage/depot wrse off than FG. Plus the Canadian TAs have shown they have a knack for holding on to buses even longer than CTA does based on comments I've seen on YouTube videos of buses from Canadian cities.

Which probably is a bit of irony, because it appears that the only reason Nova Bus is in business is that it has a contract with the Province of Quebec.

Which probably is a bit of irony, because it appears that the only reason Nova Bus is in business is that it has a contract with the Province of Quebec.

Yes you're right since the Canadian TAs are big Nova Bus customers it seems almost to the degree the American ones have been for New Flyer.

Dude are you still griping about those dinky Allison 1900s? Given that those things are scattered between Kedzie, Chicago and NP, I wouldn't really hold my breath on that.xD

It's not too far fetched actually as much as you want to believe the city has it in for the NW side in getting transit equipment.

And I noticed Bushunter made the reference of 9 years in regards to NF age. That only applies to the oldest buses in the series, roughly the ones split originally between mostly Archer and Kedzie. Don't forget the series as a whole were delivered over the course of 3 years and that the youngest ones are just barely 6 years into their service lives. So if FG did get mainly 1000s to replace a chunk of its 6400s it would be better on FG to get pretty much the Allison powered ones since those are in fact the youngest out of the 1000s.

I highly doubt Fg is getting any #1900's. Those 9 year buses are Fg approved, so they will get them. i don't know why they call it a mid life rehab, it's more like 3/4. In 3-4 years they'll probably be looking to replace them. But in CTA tradition, Fg will have to wait for all 1000 to retire first. xD

Yes you're right since the Canadian TAs are big Nova Bus customers it seems almost to the degree the American ones have been for New Flyer.

One has to remember that Nova pulled out of the US market after completing the CTA order, and came back basically because it had the NY artic order.

The provincial contracts are more important in Canada. For instance, the Nova announcement on the Quebec one says that the contract is with "ATUQ, is a consortium consisting of the province’s nine transit authorities" which, according to Mass Transit Magazine, includes Montreal. The contract consists of a base order of 475 hybrid buses and options for up to 1200 (and, maybe getting back to the point of the video, Quebec City is now getting its). Ontario basically mandated using Orion, which was owned by the province, until Daimler took it over, and now since it is out of business, TTC does purchase from Nova Bus.

The equivalent here would be if IDOT did all the bus purchasing for the entire state, including Pace and all the downstate mass transit districts. NYS did talk about giving Orion all its business because it had a plant in the state, but it didn't get down to that. During the Neoplan days, there was joint purchasing by Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, but in the US the FTA regulations seem to limit joint purchasing to the sort of stuff San Francisco and Detroit do, as opposed to one state locking up one manufacturer.

Nitpicking here, but that bus is from Montreal and it's a 2003 model.

Not true anymore. In 2013 and 2014 Nova has sold more units to American TAs than to all of the Canadian TAs, including Quebec. Sales in the US in 2015 are looking to reach twice the Canadian sales.

Not true anymore. In 2013 and 2014 Nova has sold more units to American TAs than to all of the Canadian TAs, including Quebec. Sales in the US in 2015 are looking to reach twice the Canadian sales.

Comment wasn't so much on how many models were sold, but that they wouldn't have a base of operations if not for near automatic tie ins like this provincial contract. Also (as New Flyer financial reports point out), the question is how you book sales, as the conventional method seems to be to book orders, including options, when the contract is made, and if Nova uses NF's methods, it has already booked these 1675 sales to PQ in 2013.

One has to remember that Nova pulled out of the US market after completing the CTA order, and came back basically because it had the NY artic order.

The provincial contracts are more important in Canada. For instance, the Nova announcement on the Quebec one says that the contract is with "ATUQ, is a consortium consisting of the province’s nine transit authorities" which, according to Mass Transit Magazine, includes Montreal. The contract consists of a base order of 475 hybrid buses and options for up to 1200 (and, maybe getting back to the point of the video, Quebec City is now getting its). Ontario basically mandated using Orion, which was owned by the province, until Daimler took it over, and now since it is out of business, TTC does purchase from Nova Bus.

The equivalent here would be if IDOT did all the bus purchasing for the entire state, including Pace and all the downstate mass transit districts. NYS did talk about giving Orion all its business because it had a plant in the state, but it didn't get down to that. During the Neoplan days, there was joint purchasing by Philadelphia and Pittsburgh, but in the US the FTA regulations seem to limit joint purchasing to the sort of stuff San Francisco and Detroit do, as opposed to one state locking up one manufacturer.

Yeah I was going to say it didn't appear to be anything in Canadian law that established how FTA regulates transit bus sales here in the US.

Comment wasn't so much on how many models were sold, but that they wouldn't have a base of operations if not for near automatic tie ins like this provincial contract. Also (as New Flyer financial reports point out), the question is how you book sales, as the conventional method seems to be to book orders, including options, when the contract is made, and if Nova uses NF's methods, it has already booked these 1675 sales to PQ in 2013.

Even then, they obviously have options on their American orders as well.

Even then, they obviously have options on their American orders as well.

But the point was when you said "sales," when the sales are booked. They aren't going to get any "sales" in Quebec for at least 3 years.

So I wonder if this means FG will receive new buses (#6400's or #6800's) this weekend?

If the answer to the parenthetical part is yes, the answer to the part that precedes that, by definition or default, is no. Maybe some bus shuffling, though.